Qatar vacation?

Last-minute change of plans on a trip to France next month. Looking at where we could fly from Charles de Gaulle after we arrive from the USA. There is a flight to Doha,Qatar.
I know the rest of the world is pissed off at Qatar at this time, and also had no idea what is going on there and whether it is safe.

Any knowledge on the city with regards to tourists like us?

It’s half an hour from here and I have never felt the need to visit even before the ‘issues’.

It’s still very hot out in the gulf. Unless you like that or have a huge thing for Islamic art I wouldn’t bother.

If you want to go down that way, I’d suggest Oman. Much more interesting than the UAE IMO.

Maybe true but Qatar isn’t in the UAE.

True, but it’s not so different, no?

FWIW I have been to a couple countries with Shari law and try to avoid them whenever possible. Qatar is one of those. I would look elsewhere.

I’ve always wanted to visit the Museum of Islamic Arts. Supposed to be breathtaking.

Couldn’t imagine going to Doha for a vacation. You’d find more to do sitting in your local sauna for a week.

You have the worlds leading Islamic art museum in your Sauna Dan?

Does it have my navel in there?

I have been to Qatar. It is okay. Like Dubai a few years ago, lots of construction, very urban. A bit more strict than Dubai regarding things like alcohol. There wasn’t a lot to see. It is better as a connection than as a destination.

But crazy question: is your only requirement that there is a flight from CDG? Because you can get pretty much anywhere from CDG. And Qatar is a good six hour flight. There must be another reason to go.

It’s phenomenal. Doha is fine, my parents lived there for 6 years. Some great food, one great museum, good place to buy gulf things as it’s a bit of a trading hub. The desert is one of two places in the world where the huge dunes go right into the ocean and quad biking along the beach and up the dunes is fun. There than that there isn’t a whole lot. Booze is easy to get at the golf course or hotels but be prepared to hand over your passport so they can note who you are and what you were drinking. A bit off putting.

If you’re going to that part of the world decide to go shopping in Dubai or go to Oman which is stunning, great diving, beaches etc… Doha was always a bit of like being in the sticks.

Im going in January 2018. Hopefully the blockade is lifted by then. All of my friends who have gone (non of them are muslim) have loved Doha.