Paris restaurants - best value winelists

Off to Paris shortly - any suggestions of high and low end restaurants with good value lists greatfully received. Many thanks !

Will be a welcome break from the excessive nature of London scene.

Big fan of the Michelin guide with its grape sign.

I like going to certain wine bars in Paris. One is Willi’s wine bar - very famous. I am sure you have seen the pictures. Another excellent one is Juveniles. You won’t find much in the way of famous wines there, but what is where is well chosen. Then, an interesting one Les 110 de Taillevent, which has 110 wines by the glass, from well priced to very expensive.

Le Villaret in the 11th.

In Paris I can recommend L’ Atelier de Joel Robouchon. 250 Euros for my wife and I. I had an excellent Sole dish and my wife had a steak option. Great restaurant. Got there when it opened and was seated right away. They do not take reservations.

Alain Geaam

Is that new? We made reservations when we went there in 2014.

As of a few years ago Le Villaret had excellent prices (and pretty good food too).

Taillevent’s prices are very, very good.

Willi’s is awesome.

+1 on willies and relaxed setting

The deal at Taillevant has to be Lunch, but that’s thread drift.

La Cagouille in the 14th offers wonderful seafood, the wine list is exceptional, and the wines (particularly the whites) are underpriced. You’ll be amazed at the low markups on Coche-Dury, Raveneau, and other “splurge” wines.

Thanks for the recommendation! I was looking for somewhere to take the wife to dinner to tomorrow and we were talking about how much we liked the mussels (and beer) at Au Trappiste. Happy to reply with a trip report and maybe even a pic or two :smiley:

Have you been there very recently? Last year Coche Meursault was 250 Euros. We saw it for half that in Burgundy.

Have you seen retail prices?

La Fine Gueule 21 Rue du Dr Leray, Paris, France…Its a bar/bistro…no tourists. The food is good, not great but the wines are exceptional. Their cave, which is worth asking to see, is in a catacomb downstairs and has 5000+ bottles. They specialize in “natural wine” but really cover all bases. Lots to choose from (but not on the wine list!), including aged Beaujolais among other unusual bottles.

Haven’t been to the place you indicated, hence the question… but do you mean Les Fines Gueules | Restaurants in 1er arrondissement, Paris , instead? I was unaware of them having a 5,000 bottle cellar, but that would make sense, given the age on their list. Latter fits your description and is deep on natural wines (trendy thing in Paris now). I’ve been there five or six times, twice with sommelier friends driving the list and we did some pretty serious damage :smiley: Claim to fame is the hand-cranked charcuterie slicer at the bar.

Yep, that’s the place! Next time you are there ask Thibault to give you a tour. FWIW, all of their bottle cataloging is hand written…no cellartracker or equivalent

Well, I don’t pay much attention to Coche but I believe this one is offered around $300 in the US, so I don’t think 250 Euro is any great price in France… especially since I saw it for 125 the week before :wink:

Craig, a lot more than that these days.

Maybe I’m just on better lists than you are. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I checked and the last offers from the place I had in mind were $300 and $330.

Sure, I paid €150 for a bottle recently. But the prices on the secondary market have gone nuts, or even more nuts:
1E2324D9-8E07-44E4-AD85-8C64E367CA33.jpeg

Sick kids tonight, cancelled reservations at La Caguoille. Instead, I had a mediocre bottle of Crozes Hermitage (2014 Le Vin de F Flo Confidence) and cold pizza. #nothappy

Here’s hoping they don’t hold it against me the next time I book…