Riviera Maya/Playa del carmen resort recommendations

Looking for recommendations for an upscale, luxury resort for adults (doesn’t have to be adult only, but definitely not looking for a family oriented resort). Amex platinum fine hotels and resorts offers 4th night free at a few different ones, but would love to hear recommendations based on personal experiences.

The Amex properties include: Belmond Maroma, Nizuc, Viceroy Riviera Maya,Banyan Tree Mayakoba and Rosewood Mayakoba (among others).

Thanks in advance!

Haven’t stayed at any of the Amex platinum hotels but really want to go to this:

http://www.davematthewsband.com/news/dave-tim-announce-three-nights-riviera-maya-mexico-2018/

BIL stayed at the Mayakoba and raved about it and they’re seasoned resort guests.

Haven’t been but the Fairmont Mayakoba is on my wish list -then again, I am a big Fairmont fan and that one has a Willow Streams spa which is usually amazing.

Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita

They pick you up and drop you off at your cabana via a boat.

Do you know which of the resorts in Mayakoba he stayed at? There are 3 - banyan tree, rosewood and fairmont. Thanks!

There is also the Andaz, no?

A few years ago, we had a great, relaxing week on Isla Mujeres at Villa Rolandi … now owned by Zoetry, but apparently still up to snuff:

http://www.zoetryresorts.com/mujeres

Gorgeous area, very laid back, great staff, and very much off the beaten path.

Stayed at the Blue Diamond by Blue Bay. Very elegant and quiet resort with a great beach and awesome pool area. Alas, the food was a BIG letdown.

Yes, but they are not part of the Amex fine hotels program, at least for the week I am looking to book.

But you asked where his BIL stayed. Maybe he has high status with Hyatt. Status with Hyatt combined with a AAA rate can often beat Amex FHR.

I’ll check. He was on a sales club trip.

It’s the Rosewood.

My family and I stayed at the rosewood in April, and I would say it is a family oriented resort. There is a kids center (rosebuds) near the pools where they offer children’s activities during the day, and also have children’s activities in the evening (movie nights). During our stay a large percentage of families were with children.