Napa/Calistoga December

I am thinking about a Napa/Calistoga visit the first week of December and wondering what I should expect in terms of weather. I am not definite on plans yet so want to get as much information as possible as my wife and I decide on our trip. We are already going to be in the western US on business and looking for a place to spend 5 days post business trip. Going to be in Vegas until Dec 3rd and then plan to hop a plane from there for 5 days of vacation. Thanks for any input you can provide.

There’s really no way to tell this far in advance. That time of year a storm could roll through (though it’s less likely than farther into real winter), or it could be 70 and sunny every day. Really, the worst case is it might be a bit stormy, even then it will still be a good place to be, with plenty of things to do.

I was up in Napa in early DEC 2016. In my opinion, it is the best time to go (off peak), as long as you don’t mind a little unpredictable weather.

The three days we were there, it rained two and was sunny the third. Temps in the high 50’s. Not sunny and 75 of course, but a light sweater and umbrella for walking the vineyards (glass in hand), and its all good.

Going off-season allows you the ability to secure hotels at nice discounts, to walk into popular restaurants on a whim and be sat immediately, and also get more personalized attention at the wineries. For example, my GF and parents and I visited FUTO and got the tour from the winemaker, Jason Exposto. Also met Jessica and Tom Futo, while enjoying their ridiculously good Cabernet’s.

Hope that helps with your decision. Enjoy…

Scott,

Most importantly, traffic is lighter in Dec versus horrific in the summer. Dig up the winery maps on line and set up your itinerary with extra driving time anyway, just in case of accidents. Figure average speed between locations at 30 MPH. Reservations are still the best way to get the most out of your visit and availability of times may alter your itinerary.

I was out there in December 2016, too and everything Brian said is similar to my experience! I spent a few days in Sonoma and Napa in 2014 leading up to Christmas and it was great, too! And obviously, listen to Randy! But I love Napa in December! Great tip: For lunch, sit at the bar instead of getting a table. I met so many great locals and industry folks! As for packing, just bring layers and a light rain jacket and you’ll be fine!

Don’t rent a convertible.

Other than last Winter the past 5+ have seen big December rains and then nothing. As Alan mentioned Winter storms typically arrive in late December and continue through March but the past 5-7 years have been anything but typical. Rainy season usually begins on Halloween so the chance of seeing precipitation are good.

Neat time of year though, vines are dormant, most have yet to be pruned. Great time to hit Sonoma County and see all the gnarly old vine plantings.