What can you tell me about Albania?

I’m having my arm twisted to go to Albania. Evidently there are some pristine beaches.

What can you tell me/recommend?

The big Barnes & Noble near me has only one guidebook, and it’s not entirely encouraging. Top of the list of things to bring: (1) a flashlight because, while electricity has gotten more reliable, there still are outages and (b) those little moistened towelettes because, while most roadside restaurants now boast running water, they’re unlikely to have soap or towels. Oh, and it said that, until recently, there was little danger of speeding drivers because the roads were too poor for speed.

From Wikipedia: “The architecture of Tirana as the capital of the country, was marked by two totalitarian regimes, by the fascist regime of Benito Mussolini during the World War II and the communist regime. Both have left their mark on the city with their typically architecture.”

“In recent years, Tirana is becoming a popular hub for events. Festivals are one of several things that people in Tirana enjoy well. It has a large number of festivals and events. The diversity of festivals makes it possible for people of different tastes to find themselves in a city this small. Festivals in the city provide entertainment for the youth as well as for adults. The Summer Festival takes place every year on March 14, celebrating the Spring Day (Albanian: Dita e Veres), the country’s largest pagan festival.”

A tourist office was opened in Tirana in 2011! (Wikipedia repeatedly refers to Tirana as the country’s “primate city.” It turns out that is a legitimate term, but in this context it sounded like all too appropriate a mistranslation.)

Reading this reminded me a little too much of the JetLag guide to Molvania: A Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry.

Am I being too skeptical?

Last night I spoke to the sister of a friend who went last month and loved it. Her foursome was interested mainly in hiking and they liked the up country. She said Tirana is charmless and kind of a dump. Sarandë, the most developed beach town, is fine if you want night life, she said, but it was one of her least favorite places.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ask Leo F. He’s Albanian, no?

Croatian, I think.

So happy to find this segment from Cheers on YouTube.

TripAdvisor is always a great way to get an overall assessment from experts in the area. They’ll cover sights, food, and lodging. It’d start with the “best of”

A friend went and loved it. Good walking, scenery, food better than expected, generally very cheap. Not sure where exactly in Albania he went.

They don’t like obscure wine boards…:smiley:

Shhhhhh lets keep Jorge proud, after everything he failed in his life, for the first time, he’s withing 200 miles away from the target. Well done Jorge [snort.gif], 20 more years and you’ll strike the target, not long ago you were missing the continent.

So my recollection is correct?

My guess is that calling a Croatian an Albanian is about as appreciated as confusing Turks for Arabs or Belgians for French.

Don’t go.

It borders on the Adriatic, it is mainly mountainous, and its chief export is chrome.

They all look the same to me. [snort.gif]

And, thus, the crux of my joke. Plus, he calls me Portoreecan all the time.

champagne.gif [cheers.gif] [worship.gif]

I hear better things about Montenegro than Albania, but a quick google search did produce this discussion on the two:

Thanks. I had thought Montenegro might be a better bet, too, since it didn’t have the dysfunctional post-communist period that Albania did. But a good friend whose wife is Montenegran and who has been there says the Montenegran coast has been completely spoiled in recent decades by unchecked development and most of the tourists are Russian. He says his mother-in-law, who still has property there, breaks down into tears when the issue of her seaside village comes up.

In both countries, the upcountry is supposed to be wonderful. My friend’s own sister had a wonderful time hiking in Albania this summer. But we are focused on the coast.

Who was insulted, you or the other person?

Can’t opine on Albania, I’m sure it’s cheaper.

But there are so many places in Croatia, and it’s a stunningly beautiful country. Maybe hedge your bets?

Beat me to it! Classic.

I honestly thought nobody would catch that