Aveyron wines/wineries

Will be based in Rodez and Aubrac near the end of this month, and will be driving all around. I’m not familiar with the local wines /wineries.

Looking for recommendations on a couple of winery visits.

Thanks.

Edited:
It’s looking more like not many have trekked here, so I’ve edited and changed the subject heading to include “wines/wineries”.

Any producers of note that I can google to try and make an appointment with?

bump.

Gaillac and Cahors are the closest significant appellations I can see, but I don’t really know producers in either area. Cahors is a wonderful town – a major wine area from Roman times until phylloxera and a home to branch offices of Tuscan banks in midieval times. Albi, near Gaillac, is also interesting.

If going to Cahors, well worth asking locally for the new stars - the area definitely has a ‘new wave’. Personally, I love Ch Lamartine’s standard bottling, more so than their fancy ones, so that would be the modest benchmark I’d offer to compare against the others.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Cahors, and I agree that it’s a wonderful town, will not be in the plan this time around as we were just there summer of last year.

I will check out Gaillac, though.

Not a winery but make sure you go to Musée Soulages in Rodez.

Following - any recs for a cahors will also be appreciated.

Just got some googling research done and came upon a Routes des Vin de Marcillac that almost suggested to me of a miniature Route de Vins in Alsace.

Accordingly, there are 15 or so wineries within 30 kilometers in the middle of Aveyron. The website indicated that some wineries are open for drop-in tastings at designated hours; whereas, others require appointments. Given the mostly chirping crickets on the Aveyron wineries here, this is the front-runner for our wine day-driving.

I’ll still give it a shot, though - has anybody here done this route?

Thanks. We were at Musee Soulages 2 days ago as the wife had this on our itinerary and it was a very nice relaxing 1-hour respite while viewing modern paintings by Soulages and featured exhibit by Alexander Calder. Our delicious dinner at the bistro next door, Cafe Bras, was the bigger highlight for me, however. Highly recommended.
IMG_1686.JPG