Poperinge, Belgium

Will probably only be there for a night, but would like to get some input from anyone that has done any beer tourism in that part of Belgium. Would like to get to Saint Sixtus and Saint Bernardus, but am open to other destinations. The Hop Museum also looks kind of interesting. How was getting around? Planning on coming in via train, and would very much like to avoid renting a car if at all possible. Thank you in advance.

No input here. But this sounds like a place that I’d like to visit. Thanks for posting!

I hope you get some advice here.

Talk about timing - this past weekend was the 100th anniversary of Passchendaele, one of the deadliest battles of WWI, with over 500k casualties. Prince Charles, William and Kate and delegations from all over the world flew in (including a friend, representing the Aussie contingent) Poperinge is down the street and was the gateway to the battle.

Thanks for the input so far, I had a feeling this one might be a bit tricky.

Not going to be there for about another 6-7 weeks, so have some time to plan, but the clock’s ticking! This is part of a Belgium trip that will also include Bruges and Ghent. It kind of looks like no matter how you dice it, getting to Poperinge is a bit tricky if using public transportation. Right now, the best choices appear to be getting there via train from Bruges, and making use of taxi services while in Poperinge, or renting a car.

We’re headed to Tokaj in Hungary after Belgium (which I’ve been to before). From past experiences, it seems like you’re kind of stuck renting a car if you want to explore the area, so was hoping to avoid needing to do that twice.