Orcas Island, WA

Any can’t miss spots for coffee, drinks, food? TIA.

Hi Glenn,

I was just here a few weeks ago. New Leaf cafe has very good food, including a great breakfast, and a nice view. Rose’s cafe, which is very close to New Leaf, also has good food and has a retail shop attached that has a small but surprisingly good wine selection.

Brown bear bakery is a very popular spot for pastries and coffee. I thought it was quite decent.

The Mansion at the Rosario resort has a great view and mediocre food. We also ate at Aelder, which is a new spot, entirely local ingredients and an effort to make interesting food; I would describe the food there as ok. I also didn’t particularly like the wine pairings at Aelder (I believe it’s all natural wine).

James - thanks man. We are there Weds and Thursday night so AElder is out as they go Fri-Sat-Sun only. We set up The Mansion for Weds but yours is the second don’t-go-hungry we have heard. Maybe late lunch and then apps there only?

Lunch seems like not a bad plan, it’s nice to sit by the windows and the food isn’t awful I just wouldn’t go in with high expectations.

I would also add if you’re going by ferry you may want to check when you have to arrive for the ferry and make sure you have reservations. One of them is down through July so they’re more full than usual; when we went we had reservations but didn’t show up 30m before and the 5:20 ferry was full and with one of them down the next one didn’t leave until 10(!!). http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/0181B746-26F6-4C5A-989E-7A613E290D66/0/719731AnaSJsTempSchedule.pdf

We got here 0840 for 1040 ferry. Car #3 in our row.

After Aug 7, try Doe Bay Wine Company! A friend is opening it up (Cole Sisson) and it’s one of those “chase your dream” things… he’s a local, but went somm and worked out of Seattle and Vegas before coming home with his girlfriend and starting his own place. After spending a week there, you’ll understand.

Please do come visit. We will receive you with open arms beginning August 7th. Fun will be had.

Cole
Doe Bay Wine Company

This is a wine shop? We will check it out on our next visit.

Cole - get me a gig on Orcas and I’ll spend every loose dime in your store. Already found a nice crib in Olga.

Man did we have a great time in Doe Bay Cafe Thursday night. So much fun + great cuisine and drinks.