Your NYC Reccommendations!

Building my NYC hit-list for my December visit.

What is your single, top suggestion for each of the following?

Most Inventive Restaurant / Don’t Miss It

Best Classic NY Restaurant

Best Ethnic Resto

Best 2017 Resto opening

Best in resto Brooklyn/Queens

Best Lunch

Best’Foodie’ Dinner with teenagers in-tow

Best Winelist

Best Winebar

Best Wine Shop

Best Breakfast

Best Morning Cappuccino

Best Morning Pastries (Donuts Acceptable Too)

Best Men’s Shopping (Dressy but interesting clothes / shoes)

Much appreciated! We are already looking at Air BnB’s in Chelsea/West Village/Soho. Super Excited!

27 pages of recommendations… and some other stuff. :slight_smile:

George

My place, but no vacancies then.

Thanks George. Fun reading material!

What a shame. Thanks for the almost suggestion! lol.

Btw, don’t sell your place short. I am sure it’s lovely.

I keep it simple and visit Arnaud Tronche at Racine’s. Great food, fascinating wine list and Arnaud can recommend amazing pairings. http://racinesnewyork.azurewebsites.net/

Thanks Michael! Adding it to the list.

I hope we get to all the wonderful places being recommended to us by people! :slight_smile:

Barry.

Restaurant listed here New York City Restaurants - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

Just read the last 3 or 4 pages.

Thanks Dan!

How much is the rent??

I really, really enjoyed Casa Mono a year ago. Just a superb experience all the way.

Probably twice your mortgage. [cry.gif]

For breakfast pastries my absolute favorite croissants are at Millefeuille on LaGuardia Place and l’Atelier du Chocolat on West 22nd (I’ve only been to their Jersey City outpost but I’m sure they’re just as good on Manhattan). For sweet pastries my favorite is Dominique Ansel. Don’t bother trying to get a cronut, it isn’t worth it. Especially when they have so many better pastries just sitting at the counter waiting to be purchased.

Our current favorite place for not too expensive dining is Atoboy - pleasantly casual atmosphere with attentive service, delicious sophisticated Korean cooking, reasonable pricing. You could bring foodie teenagers with you.

For best lunch I’d go with the prix fixe at Marea.

Best wine shop I’d say Chambers St., Crush and Flatiron all vie for that title.

Men’s clothing - feel like a trip? You can get a bus from the Port Authority to Woodbury Common which has outlets for everything from Brooks Brothers to Robert Graham. If you prefer paying retail there are a lot of high end shops in the Oculus at the World Trade Center. Or for expensive, high quality, traditional with a bit of flair you could do a lot worse than Paul Stuart. Of course places like Bloomingdales, Saks and Bergdorf Goodman have great selections as well.

Love woodbury Common! Our cousin lives near Nyack (Thiells actually) so we’ve done that outlet trip before and loved it! You sure do spend a lot when you’re saving money. lol.

That’s two votes for Atoboy now, so I will prioritize that stop.

Marea sounds good.

Agree re Cronut at Ansel. I like the other pastries better, in fact. Never tried Millefeuille or L’Atelier du C! I love Viennese pastry and Millefeuille/Napoleon Slice so that’s my wheelhouse there! My wife loves chocolate, so the Atelier will be her sweetspot, no pun intended!

Great suggestions! Thank you!

I saw your x-post on the epicurean forum. Some of the places you have selected are pretty far from each other. Traveling in NY can be time consuming and tedious, especially if you are from out of town, so I would consider distance.

I think Jay made some good suggestions. Marea is a good spot for lunch, or dinner for that matter. The Modern, not far from there, is a good spot for dinner. Momofuku ssam and ko are old standbys but very good. I find Crush to be the best wine shop. I don’t go to wine bars in NY and I find that most wine aficionados don’t either. For brunch I like Prune but they don’t take reservations from what I remember and I don’t know if you want to spend your vacation waiting in line. Good wine lists abound, as do 200% markups. Cheap lodging doesn’t. Most people I know end up doing air bnb.

Most clothiers are dressy by LA standards. Paul Stuart is about as classy as it gets but I don’t know if it’s “interesting.” The big department stores are very good but similar selections can probably be found in LA. NY fashion’s cutting edge can be found at places like Dover Street Market (34th and Lex) or Margiela (West Village). Prices are stratospheric, even by NY standards, so brace yourself, and the clothes are not for everybody. In Brooklyn, Bird (in Williamsburg) carries a fashionable collection and is marginally less expensive than the aforementioned.

That reminds me, there’s a Paul Smith discount outlet in Brooklyn. Never been but I like the one in London.

My parents used to live in Nyack (I grew up in Pomona) so going to Woodbury Common always brings back memories of going there with them. And yes, I can’t afford to save much more money there.

re Atoboy - my favorite dish is the lotus root, Arnold’s favorite dish is the sunchoke. Octopus, steak, corn and snow pea pods all close seconds. Though if you have 4 people you could just do the entire menu.

There is an Eataly installation in direct proximity to the 911 Museum and One World Trade. There is a great seafood restaurant with a terrific view to the the entire landscape of the place. The entire place is all about food… but in a crazy sort of way this area, a bit more special, is calmer and has the best view! And, if you don’t have an Eataly near you (or do), I think this one is pretty special.

Thinking about a couple days trip to NYC for a Christmas gift for the daughter. I’m thinking Dec 21-23rd or 26-28 She is really into musicals any recs on where to stay in or close to the theater district that is not too pricey?

Fiddler on the Roof closes early January. It’s in Yiddush, but they flash the English so you can follow along. It’s a small venue, so even the cheaper seats are good.