Suggestions for 4 or 5 days within an easy drive of SF - [update....Sonoma is the chosen direction]

I have to go to San Francisco for a conference in June and I was hoping to tack on a 4-5 day jaunt within a 3 hour drive of SF for vacation. All suggestions welcome. Sonoma is on the table, as is Yosemite, but I really don’t know that area of California well. I would love the board’s wisdom…north, south or east of SF is ok.

Have not had a real vacation in a while, so relaxation and good food with the Mrs. are 1st and foremost in my mind. [cheers.gif]

[Note - I edited the title to specify Sonoma now that the direction has been determined by the FIC (fiancee-in-chief). thx [cheers.gif] ]

There are a lifetime of opportunities, but I’d not miss Monterrey, Carmel, Big Sur, or northward along the coast as far as you can go.

June will be too early this year for the Yosemite high country, and too late to avoid the tourist crush in the valley. Come back another year for the Sierras as a destination. Leave at least a week, and up to a century to explore.

P Hickner

If you’ve never been to Yosemite, you need to do it at some point, but I’m not sure it quite matches your criteria of relaxation and good food. It will be pretty crowded by then, and there are few dining options, none of them “great food” (though adequate). Having said that, Yosemite is my favorite place on the planet. We go almost every year, but in the winter when it is much less crowded.

Plenty to do in Sonoma, where there are lots of opportunities for food and relaxation.

Personally, I would steer you south to Monterey/Carmel. So many options for food, scenery, walking, beaches, etc. We just did a big anniversary trip, and it’s really hard to beat the Monterey peninsula. I would actually recommend staying in Pacific Grove if you can, which has several decent dining options, great scenery, close to Pebble Beach, 17 mile drive, Carmel, etc. Lots of excellent food all around there, plenty of walking areas, golf if you’re interested. Unfortunately, Pfeiffer bridge is out on Hwy 1 just north of Big Sur, so the route south is impassable for the indefinite future. That just means you have to strike Big Sur from any plans, but that’s not a big limitation.

Once you decide on a destination, we can help with more suggestions.

South to Monterey to see the aquarium, a short drive north to Muir Woods. If you’re in the mood for more of a drive Anderson Valley is lovely (if you don’t mind lots of windy roads) and can include a visit to Navarro.

I agree, Yosemite is a must-visit place; the Awahnee hotel is relaxing enough for me. Not sure what corkage runs there though :slight_smile:.

Corkage is maybe $25 or $30, can’t remember, but we have done it a number of times. Corkage at the Mountain Room (the more casual dining option at the Yosemite Falls Lodge location) is $15 I think. Plus they’ll let you take you’re unfinished bottle across to the bar and drink it there, no extra charge. Wine lists at both places are relatively pitiful, so bringing your own is a necessity.

My original answer was more that there are only two “real” dining options in the valley; and while the Ahwahnee (now called Majestic) has decent food, it is just barely “fine dining”. I learned when we were there in February that the Ahwahnee kitchen doesn’t have a grill, so while they typically have prime rib, they don’t offer steaks.

I love both Sonoma and Monterey/Carmel and we will return again and again.

JD

Thanks all! When I pick a direction, I’ll ask for restaurant, hotel and sight-seeing specifics! Am thinking of Carmel and that direction right now.

Just know that Carmel is about as far south as you can get on Highway 1 right now. A major bridge has been damaged and demolished and many areas are cut off. Big Sur is pretty much offline.

OK - making the final decision and it looks like early June will see about 4-5 days heading south from San Francisco. Any specific recommendations of where to stay, where to eat, and what to see/do? Need help. Clueless… thx

Well it seems you’re screwed for any highway 1 road trip as of now which is a real shame. I honestly think you’re better off heading up north than south at this point. Stick to Sonoma county doing day trips from there as your base. Point Reyes along with Hog Island Oyster Co., Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve and Sonoma Coast State Park, Anderson Valley/Roederer Estate just to name a few. All of those are solid day trips which you can easily get back to Sonoma or wherever you’re staying in time for dinner where the options are considerably better.

Heading south you’re options are to take the 101 down to Paso Robles and cut in to the coast from there. You can visit Morro Bay and Cambria, Hearst Castle and make it a fair way up the coast although I’m not sure if you could get to Big Sur or not. The only problem is having to retrace your footsteps because highway 1 is blocked off.

I think the Yosemite idea is great but that time of year gets really packed over there. Kind of a pain in the ass…

Elliott, thank you. What exactly is the issue and is it really that insurmountable?

If we were to go north what’s the relaxation / ocean view plan?

Drew, the heavy rains this winter demolished a large amount of the Big Sur area including one of the bridges south of Carmel cutting off access anywhere south of that point. Unless you have plans to make a giant U-turn I’d stick to the other option. Going north, and staying in Sonoma/county more specifically, rather than Napa, gives you the chance to be in wine country and within an hour’s drive to the coast at the same time.
Details to come pending your final decision…

Not being able to get down to Big Sur is really not a big loss. There is a ton of ocean scenery in Montery and Carmel. If that’s what you want, go there. You can have a mini Big Sur experience just driving south on 1 from San Francisco if you want, through Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, down to Santa Cruz.

The ocean views around Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Pebble Beach are second to none anywhere in the world. In June, you’re going to have tourists pretty much everywhere, north or south.

Thanks, all. Any hotel or resort or restaurant recommendations in any of those areas?

I will look at other posts, of which there must be many, but does anyone have specific resorts/hotels to recommend in Sonoma? [cheers.gif]

Hold the phone…fiancee just determined that she wants wine country…so it looks like Sonoma is the target. Who am I to complain?

Elliot, any lodging suggestions in Sonoma? Since I would still like some relaxation emphasis, a pool and spa like amenities sounds enticing. Less B&B this visit. [cheers.gif]

There’s a lot of info here Planning your visit to Sonoma "County"? This might help. - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

That is the thread I thought I had seen - thanks!