Denver Hotel and Food suggestions?

I have read the great thread if you have one dinner in Denver but I am going to stay for 10 days soon (solo). Please suggest downtown hotels and restaurants/wine bars. as I won’t have a car. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I’ve only visited once for work, hotel was meh but really enjoyed a casual lunch at Euclid Hall - beer not wine but great food and just fun -http://euclidhall.com The Larimer Square setting has some fun shops and I gather the same restaurant group has several other spots there worth investigating.

Btw, remember to hydrate due to the altitude … I actually got a mild altitude reaction and needed some fluids (but I have a heart condition so am extra susceptible).

Any of the higher-end downtown hotels will be nice – Ritz, Brown Palace, Westin, Hotel Teatro.

I lived in Denver 5 years ago but the restaurant scene has exploded since then. The Larimer Sq places are good but won’t change your life – Rioja, Bistro Vendome, Osteria Marco, Euclid Hall. Racca’s Pizza is also exceptional although a somewhat longer walk (easy Uber)

I’ve heard the new places in Union Station are good but they weren’t open when I lived there

The Crawford, The Oxford, Hotel Teatro, The Art, Hotel Monaco. Lots of smaller/mid size hotels in great locations.
Food: Root Down, Guard and Grace, the Populist (great chef’s tasting menu), Acorn, Ofilia’s, Mercantile, Colt and Gray, Old Major, Linger…tons of places, too many to mention. Check Yelp and have fun.
Denver is a city of neighborhoods. Lodo, Lohi, The Highlands, Rino. Most walkable from central Denver with many great little bistro places. You just need to venture out.
Many, many brewpubs. Some of my favorites are Great Divide, Bierstadt, Jagged Mountain. Craft spirits are popular too. Mile High spirits is one.
Places to avoid: 16th st mall. Cesspool of humanity. Colfax Ave in general.
There is one winery in Rino, Infinate Monkey. Go there if you must, but I don’t recommend it.
If you want to Uber it to Evergreen, there is a great winery there, Creekside. Lunchs only, but surprisingly good Colorado wines, especially Cab Franc, a red blend called Rosso and a Boudreaux blend called Robusto. The wine maker is Michelle Cleveland. She is usually around. She is great to talk to and get a tour or tasting from.
Have fun in Denver. Drink lots of water.

If you like sushi, The Sushi Den is as good domestically as I’ve eaten anywhere in the lower 48.

Edited to add: A short Uber ride from Downtown.

Or you can Light Rail from Union Station to Louisiana Station, maybe a 15 minute train ride. Then just a short 5 minute walk to Pearl St.

I didn’t believe this at first but it is true.

some suggestions for newer places that have opened recently. 12@Madison, Jeff Osaka (formerly of Twelve) smaller shared plates, great vegetable preparations. Mister Tuna, new industrial chic joint from Troy Guard, close to The Source which houses the aforementioned Acorn and Crooked Stave Brewing. Coperta is a nice take on the Roman bistro experience, pollo alla diavola was exceptional. DioMio Pasta in Rino is no frills but well executed fresh pasta preparations, chef is a Frasca alum. props to Euclid Hall and Sushi Den, both previously mentioned, as long time Denver standouts.

Thanks everyone for your fast and detailed responses. The variety suggested should help with the upcoming extended stay.

Couldn’t agree more here. Duck poutine, marrow bones, charcuterie - this place is one of the original gastropubs and I’ve sent quite a few people there. Liked it so much I bought one of their “My Sausage is Hand Cranked” t-shirts :wink:

Frasca in Boulder is spectacular for wine/food and worth the drive. Have been several times and the wine list is fantastic. Here’s why → People | Frasca Food & Wine in Boulder, CO . If you go, consider getting to Boulder a couple of hours early and walking through town.

Other comment - I can’t remember any of the names to save my life, but breakfast in Denver was shockingly good. A lot of the hipster biscuit/gravy type places had popped up on my last visit (2 yrs back) and I’d argue it’s one of the best breakfast cities I’ve been to (up with Portland, OR). Don’t miss out here.

Re: Brown hotel - I’m not a big fan. It’s a great place for cocktails and to sit out in their atrium or cigar room, but the room I got was INCREDIBLY small and had a heater from the 1900’s. I don’t recall any of the other places I’ve stayed at as being memorable.

I agree on the Brown Palace. It’s where local women go for high tea and where you have a wedding. Not sure I would stay there.
Perhaps one of the breakfast places you remember is Snooze. They seem to be popular with the skinny jean crowd.

I have stayed at the Brown Palace twice and got magnificent rooms each time (obviously upgraded because of my magnetism). The public spaces are unique architecturally. YMMV

I have also eaten there (business trips each time) and would not recommend it unless you stay there and convenience is more important than quality

I found the Brown Palace dated and uncomfortable. I stayed there with a colleague from London once, and he spent the entire trip teasing me about the “Bates Motel” I forced him to stay in.

I like the Four Seasons. It’s a very nice property with a great gym, convenient location and decent options for breakfast/drinks. My company gets a good rate, so I have no idea if it’s crazy expensive for others, though.

Yes, and in addition to The Sushi Den, Matsuhisa opened in the Cherry Creek area last year.

Thanks again for the additional information. Since I lack a magnetic personality I will skip the Brown Palace.

Had dinner last night at Vendome and would go back again. The three of us stuck to small plates and salads but hope to head back to try some of the entrees. Steak tartare, crepes and mussels all were a good sharing size and the wine options by the glass were enjoyable as well. Will report back with more as the week progresses here.

Final follow up from a whirlwind week in Denver for the SIA show. The two biggest highlights from the week were Tag and Sushi Den. At tag the standout was the flash seared Hamachi and the Miso Black Cod. For Sushi Den we enjoyed the meal from start to finish and had we gone here earlier in the week likely would have returned for a second night. Great variety of options and the cocktail and sake options were a great treat.

TAG, really, wow. Last meal I had there wasn’t anything to write home about. Maybe they got their act together.

Thought I would add this pretty good guide to Denver eating and such.

http://goop.com/city-guide/the-denver-guide/restaurants/

Thank you for all the great suggestions. The highlight meal was at Butcher’s Bistro. A modest, well selected wine list and great meats along with good service combined for an enjoyable evening. You’ll need a reservation.