Any "NEW" New Orleans dining experiences?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Marshall Gelb » December 1st, 2016, 1:52 pm

I know this has been covered in the past but I have been hearing of many newer openings in New Orleans. Diana and I will be heading down there for our anniversary in late March. It will be our first visit since 2013. Any information on "newer " restaurants would be appreciated as well as recent experiences in the "usual suspects."

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Marshall grouphug
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 1st, 2016, 2:03 pm

Shaya on Magazine.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

P. Willenberg

#3 Post by P. Willenberg » December 2nd, 2016, 11:52 am

makes sure you check the menu before going to Shaya and that's the kind of food you want to eat. I didn't and it wasn't my thing.

I did enjoy Square Root, which is fairly new.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

MandyC

#4 Post by MandyC » December 3rd, 2016, 7:09 am

Brennan's fits both the "newer" and "usual suspects" categories in its current incarnation. Had a great meal there last December. Coquette is a usual suspect for me as I usually hit it up on every visit, although it may be new to you.

It's overwhelming the number of new restaurants that have opened in the past year. I'll be visiting week after next and have Compere Lapin and the Caribbean Room on my short list of new places to check out. Sadly, I only have 3 nights to work with and am having trouble choosing between old favorites and new spots.

Also on my list of potentials: N7, Bar Frances, and Susan Spicer's new place Rosedale.
-Mandy Click

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 3rd, 2016, 7:35 am

Caribbean Room was always great fun in the old days. I'd love to see what John Besh & Cooper Manning have done with the re-birth.

Is it a new location or still on St. Charles?
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

MandyC

#6 Post by MandyC » December 3rd, 2016, 8:49 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Caribbean Room was always great fun in the old days. I'd love to see what John Besh & Cooper Manning have done with the re-birth.

Is it a new location or still on St. Charles?
Still on St. Charles in the newly reopened Ponchartrain Hotel.
-Mandy Click

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » December 3rd, 2016, 9:50 am

Is the old steak house still in biz next door? Lord we ripped it up on St. Charles back in the 80s & 90s.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Marshall Gelb » December 3rd, 2016, 11:47 am

MandyC wrote:Brennan's fits both the "newer" and "usual suspects" categories in its current incarnation. Had a great meal there last December. Coquette is a usual suspect for me as I usually hit it up on every visit, although it may be new to you.

It's overwhelming the number of new restaurants that have opened in the past year. I'll be visiting week after next and have Compere Lapin and the Caribbean Room on my short list of new places to check out. Sadly, I only have 3 nights to work with and am having trouble choosing between old favorites and new spots.

Also on my list of potentials: N7, Bar Frances, and Susan Spicer's new place Rosedale.

Thanks Mandy; Looking forward to hearing your thoughts since we have plenty of time to plan. Otherwise, I could end up using Doc's advice and that is a sure recipe for trouble! grouphug [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#9 Post by Robert M yers » December 7th, 2016, 9:24 pm

I think Peche opened in 2013, so that may be new since you've last been and worth thinking about.

Chris S p i k e s

#10 Post by Chris S p i k e s » December 9th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Robert M yers wrote:I think Peche opened in 2013, so that may be new since you've last been and worth thinking about.
We ate there twice last week and it was excellent. Their whole fresh fish is amazing! We cleaned out their specials of tuna collar.

We also ate at Patois, which was very good.

I dropped by R'evolution during the afternoon to just experience their "Death by Gumbo" while sitting at the bar. It lived up to expectations!

I'm not sure how old these all are relative to your last trip, but I thought I would just throw a quick impression out there. I know R'evolution has been around for a while because I first found out about it by reading on this board.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Marshall Gelb » December 10th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Chris S p i k e s wrote:
Robert M yers wrote:I think Peche opened in 2013, so that may be new since you've last been and worth thinking about.
We ate there twice last week and it was excellent. Their whole fresh fish is amazing! We cleaned out their specials of tuna collar.

We also ate at Patois, which was very good.

I dropped by R'evolution during the afternoon to just experience their "Death by Gumbo" while sitting at the bar. It lived up to expectations!

I'm not sure how old these all are relative to your last trip, but I thought I would just throw a quick impression out there. I know R'evolution has been around for a while because I first found out about it by reading on this board.

Thanks Chris: We are actually staying at the Royal Sonesta so we will probably drop in to R'evolution as well. Not really in my dinner plans but the afternoon idea seems like a possibility.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Milton Hudson

#12 Post by Milton Hudson » December 12th, 2016, 11:55 am

The renovation of Brennan's is stunning in preserving the old feel while making it seem just opened. The food is also a much fresher approach to the classic Brennan s menu. Service is as to be expected in a Brennan family place. It is definitely a great place if you're interested in some day time drinking and eating.

C Janko

#13 Post by C Janko » December 27th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Meril.... hands down best new restaurant to hit Nola since Peche.
Chris

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Jason T » January 16th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Coquette is, for me, the best restaurant in the city. Consistently interesting, executes at a high level, and the tasting menu is always a tremendous value.

+1 for Compere Lapin as well. Nina Compton is lights out.

We've been to the Carribean Room 3 or 4 times since it reopened and it's a great time. It's a very old school New Orleans experience. The roof top bar has great cocktails and a wonderful view of the skyline, but can get quite busy.

Glen mentioned the old school Mr John's Steakhouse which is still next to the Pontchartrain and is alive and well. If you're looking for a more modern take on the New Orleans steakhouse experience. Doris Metropolitan is doing fantastic work down in the French Quarter.

Other notables that are relatively new...Seaworthy in the Ace Hotel, which has great seafood. Also somewhat seafood-centric is Cavan, which has a focus on coastal and southern cuisine. Oxalis; the food is very nice but my reason for going is that I think it's got the best cocktails in town now that Bellocq is gone.

If pan-Asian food is up your alley then a couple of great and very fun places are Michael Gulotta's Mo Pho and Maypop. Gulotta was formerly at Besh's August and then broke away to do his own thing. I say pan-Asian because he borrows from all over Asia (I've seen him incorporate ideas from India all the way up to Korea) and combines that with Creole influences. Mopho is a bit off the beaten path and is the more casual and fun of the two. Maypop just opened in the CBD and borrows some of the ideas from Mopho but in a more sophisticated setting; he's really elevated his dishes to match.

Countless others as we have seen a flurry of restaurants open in the last few years but these are currently my favorites.
J@son Tr@ughber

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 17th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Jason: Thank you very much! That is some great info.
Much appreciated! [thankyou.gif]

Cheers1
Marshall [cheers.gif]

CraigE.

#16 Post by CraigE. » January 30th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Shaya on Magazine.
I second Shaya... the wood roasted cabbage is an absolute must
Craig E t t e l m a n

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Marshall Gelb » February 21st, 2017, 4:59 pm

Jason T wrote:Coquette is, for me, the best restaurant in the city. Consistently interesting, executes at a high level, and the tasting menu is always a tremendous value.

+1 for Compere Lapin as well. Nina Compton is lights out.

We've been to the Carribean Room 3 or 4 times since it reopened and it's a great time. It's a very old school New Orleans experience. The roof top bar has great cocktails and a wonderful view of the skyline, but can get quite busy.

Glen mentioned the old school Mr John's Steakhouse which is still next to the Pontchartrain and is alive and well. If you're looking for a more modern take on the New Orleans steakhouse experience. Doris Metropolitan is doing fantastic work down in the French Quarter.

Other notables that are relatively new...Seaworthy in the Ace Hotel, which has great seafood. Also somewhat seafood-centric is Cavan, which has a focus on coastal and southern cuisine. Oxalis; the food is very nice but my reason for going is that I think it's got the best cocktails in town now that Bellocq is gone.

If pan-Asian food is up your alley then a couple of great and very fun places are Michael Gulotta's Mo Pho and Maypop. Gulotta was formerly at Besh's August and then broke away to do his own thing. I say pan-Asian because he borrows from all over Asia (I've seen him incorporate ideas from India all the way up to Korea) and combines that with Creole influences. Mopho is a bit off the beaten path and is the more casual and fun of the two. Maypop just opened in the CBD and borrows some of the ideas from Mopho but in a more sophisticated setting; he's really elevated his dishes to match.

Countless others as we have seen a flurry of restaurants open in the last few years but these are currently my favorites.

This is really an awesome post as you rarely think about "new " spots in New Orleans. We certainly have our favorites but will be trying a few newer spots as well. As the actual trip approaches, we are getting more excited. More ideas are certainly welcome.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Marshall Gelb » March 20th, 2017, 11:17 am

Thanks all....made a few rezzies combining some old and some new plus left some time open. I will get back with a few impressions. One restaurant I am curious about is Brigtsen's ......we have loved it in the past but it seems to get little play on this board. Anyone with an opinion or experience? It is very much "old school."

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Barry L i p t o n

#19 Post by Barry L i p t o n » March 20th, 2017, 12:44 pm

I enjoy Brightsten's when I went, especially because I took the trolley through the Garden District, but haven't been for ages.

MandyC

#20 Post by MandyC » March 21st, 2017, 10:19 am

Marshall Gelb wrote:Thanks all....made a few rezzies combining some old and some new plus left some time open. I will get back with a few impressions. One restaurant I am curious about is Brigtsen's ......we have loved it in the past but it seems to get little play on this board. Anyone with an opinion or experience? It is very much "old school."

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
I dined at Brigtsen's in December. Good and service were both great.
-Mandy Click

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Any "NEW" New Orleans dining experiences?

#21 Post by Bob Hughes » September 8th, 2018, 7:31 am

My wife and I just got back from 4 days/nights in New Orleans - we lucked out when Gordon missed the city, and only had to deal with rain one morning, althugh the humidity was pretty oppressive.

I had used this thread for research - Peche was our first dinner in town, and we really enjoyed it. The smoked tuna dip appetizer, combined with their fried bread, was delicious, and the sauce with the black drum entree was very tasty. We also hit Cochon for lunch - very good as well. And we liked Seaworthy quite a bit as well, although the drum entree there wasn't quite as good as the one they did at Peche.

We hit Bayona for dinner one night, and enjoyed that as well, and finished the trip off at Arnaud's.

The only place we went to twice, though, is worth a mention - the Bayou Wine Garden on North Rendon in what I believe is called midtown. Serious by the glass wine selection, and a very funky bar food menu for snacking on. I had a Taylor Ham Banh Mi on my first visit that was deelish, and we split a bacon & brie sandwich the 2nd time that was also good, plus they had these chorizo and cheese deep-fried dumplings/won tons that were positively addictive. Very casual, but we liked it enough to go back for another lunch.

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

#22 Post by bradkaplan » October 8th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Just back - quick report...

Peche was not quite up to prior visits - still very good and worth the visit, but lacking the magic I had on my first visit.

Brennan's on the other hand was fantastic, exceeded expectation - great service that perfectly balanced friendly/contemporary and old school classy, and the food also strikes a nice balance between classic NOLA and more contemporary influences - like a riff on shrimp and grits that employed black rice and kimchi to great effect.

Went to Napoleon House out of convenience - decent muffuletta, lousy po boy, good enough Pimm's cup on a hot day - best thing was a muffuletta salad for those of us not eating bread. Killer Po-boys the next day was damn good for the non-traditional debris with pickled green beans! Really excellent.

Creole cocktail at Arnaud's French 75 was damn near perfect.

Willa Jean's for breakfast is fun and good - nice shrimp and grits, impressive baked goods, tasty though strange biscuits (like a pot-pie top more than a biscuit).

We love both Laura's and Southern Candymakers for pralines and other sweets - and they are both generous with the samples. Always stop and buy things at both.
www.ThirstySouth.com

Ramon C

#23 Post by Ramon C » October 9th, 2018, 6:00 am

Was there in August and enjoyed our dinner at Bywater Bistro. Byob'd a couple of bottles at reasonable corkage fees.

http://bywateramericanbistro.com/
@brera

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Marshall Gelb » December 5th, 2018, 7:57 am

Heading back down for our anniversary again in March. We are staying at the new "Nopsi" Hotel which we noticed being built last year. It is an old public service building and naturally has a new restaurant called "Public Service." The menu looks very interesting but I have not seen any reviews yet. Curious if anyone has been or knows anything about it. Any other recent experiences are helpful as well.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 27th, 2019, 11:38 am

BUMP!

Anything new? [scratch.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#26 Post by Robert M yers » March 13th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Heading down for JazzFest in May...has anybody gone to Bacchanal Fine Wine & Spirits? Looks like a cool place to hang out and sip some wine before a show?

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

#27 Post by bradkaplan » March 14th, 2019, 4:08 am

Yes, it is fabulous. Go. Go again.
www.ThirstySouth.com

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#28 Post by Robert M yers » March 14th, 2019, 4:48 am

bradkaplan wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 4:08 am
Yes, it is fabulous. Go. Go again.
Brad,
I can’t figure out where this response fits? My question or one of Marshall’s [cheers.gif]

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Marshall Gelb » March 15th, 2019, 1:19 pm

OK.....made a reservation at "Bordeaux," a brand new place on Magazine. Looks very interesting. We also have rezzies at Cochon and Bywater Bistro . In addition, I left a few nights open to play by ear........guess it depends on how much we eat for lunch! [stirthepothal.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by David K o l i n » March 15th, 2019, 2:03 pm

I’ve run out of nights for dining later this month. Sucks.

Any insight on best crawfish this season?

MandyC

#31 Post by MandyC » March 17th, 2019, 6:06 am

Has anyone tried Jewel of the South yet?
-Mandy Click

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Marshall Gelb » March 17th, 2019, 11:14 am

I am also looking into "Gris Gris" on Magazine......seems quite interesting!
We will probably get crawfish at Grand Isle....fun place near the Casino and Aquarium.

Cheers!
Marshall

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#33 Post by Robert M yers » May 10th, 2019, 4:34 am

Robert M yers wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:55 pm
Heading down for JazzFest in May...has anybody gone to Bacchanal Fine Wine & Spirits? Looks like a cool place to hang out and sip some wine before a show?
Wanted to follow up since we went here for the first time. It was a great place to get away from the hectic pace that can happen in New Orleans. Walk in, pick a wine, pick some cheese, and pay at the counter. They open your wine and take your cheese to make up a cheese plate. You take the wine grab an ice bucket and head to the “backyard” to find a table and just chill in the shade. Big fans blowing and music on stage, pretty cool place if you’ve got a couple of hours to just chill out. The wine list could be much better, but we had a perfectly fine txakolina which pAired well with the heat.

Douglas Breen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Douglas Breen » May 10th, 2019, 11:17 am

Just came back from Jazz Fest.

August- very good, soft shell local was the best dish
Brennan’s- really fun. 6 pages of growers champagne! Sweetbreads and sheepshead fish were excellent.
Arnauds- okay. Classic environment. Faillia Sonoma chard for $60.
Re evolution, great Sunday brunch! Crab beignets and really intense eggs Benedict.
Pat O’Briens- fun, but the food was not that good.

The food at the jazz fest is great- dozens of restaurants from the area. Crawfish bisque, fried bread sandwiches and gumbo til the cows come home. Great food city!

Dave Sankaran

#35 Post by Dave Sankaran » May 10th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Just cross-posting a link to the other NOLA eating thread to help ensure all comments are available:

https://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewto ... s#p2723147

Return to “Travel Forum”