New Orleans baby edition

So we’ve booked a trip to New Orleans for my birthday and bringing our (will be at the time) 5 month old daughter.

Nov 18-21st. Staying at the Ritz (yah for federal employee discounts!).

1. Recommendations on good eateries to bring the baby to.
  2. things to explore with the baby.

Been recommended Cochon already so will most likely go there. Would love to go to a tasty oyster place. Doesn’t have to be fine dining as I’m fairly positive the baby will not be able to handle it at the time.

You can do Cochon outside with baby in stroller, highly recommended and they allow corkage - though Burgundy would not be my recommended pairing.

Louisiana Children’s Museum!

The aquarium is nice.

Cochon butcher too… More casual. Great for lunch

I want a picture of you pushing a stroller down Bourbon street at night! :slight_smile:

George

Take a stroll in the French Market. You can watch them shuck the fresh oysters that are out of this world. I was there last October.

You will love the Ritz there!

It was a long, long time ago (almost 20 years ago) but we took our daughter to NOLA (NOLA - Emeril's Restaurants) when she was less than 2. I called ahead of time to let them know that we would have an infant with us. They asked us to take an early reservation and promised a kid friendly wait staff. The staff was fantastic.

The following night we had a terrible experience at a restaurant we did not call ahead.

The contrast was the start of frank conversations with upscale restaurants about how kid friendly they and the staff are.

that is high on the list!

my wife brought up the aquarium, i’ll have to look into it.

Metairie location of Drago’s is very kid friendly, allows corkage, and would pair with a fine Chassagne Montrachet.

Charlie,

On my recent trip I loved Le Petite Grocery and Cochon. Cochon Butcher for sandwiches at lunch. As an FYI, gulf oysters are very different from east or west coast oysters. In general they are ginormous and I find them to be muddy tasting. I haven’t been but I’m dying to try Shaya.

NOLA is not a formal place. You should have no trouble with a baby. I really enjoyed August, but probably a bit to fancy and hushed for a baby.

Drago’s
Casamento’s
Domenica
Luke
Petite Grocery (maybe not for dinner)
Port of Call
Ancora (not sure how often they have it but the best gnocchi I’ve ever had)
Cake Cafe (fun to BYO for breakfast)

Shaya is supposed to be the place to go. Last time I was down ran in to Grant Achatz (Alinea) in the New Orleans airport. That’s where he went.

George

I went in 1992 with my 1 year old daughter.
Had a wonderful time walking around the Quarter and in parks. We would often find some street musicians playing that offered some fun entertainment.

We were treated well at NOLA. Did not call ahead. (My wife and I worked hard to minimize noise or disturbances at restaurants when our kids were young. Rarely had any issues). Emeril had just opened NOLA. The food was quite good. Staff was friendly and allowed me, with my daughter in my arms, to take a walk through the kitchen.

We enjoyed the Audobon Zoo. I recommend a trip there.

Enjoy.

The Aquarium is really nice.

Beware the heat - shade yo baby’s head!

My daughter recently started college in New Orleans and I’ve been there twice in the last few months. Shaya is very casual (and delicious), and I would think no problem at all bringing a baby. When we were at Peche in late August, it was a Weds night and there were many families there and it’s a loud kind of place so even if your daughter made some noise, no one would even notice!

We had amazing meals at Herbsaint and Luke (thanks to Glenn for that one) - would call and ask about bringing a stroller to those, but neither was stuffy or quiet. (If you do go to Luke, bring a blanket for the baby and a sweater or something for you and your wife, as the A/C is controlled by the hotel it’s in and felt like a meat locker!

Okay! We booked a table at Shaya. There was only one reservation left for dinner that whole weekend, 5:15 pm… perfect for us. Have a res the night before at Cochon.

Probably gonna do take out friday night as we arrive at 6pm. I’m thinking Acme Oyster House cause it’s right next door to the hotel but if there’s a better option for seafood/gumbo in that area I’m all ears. Take out necessary.

Gonna do lunch at Willie May’s one day… cause fried chicken.

Any recs for po boys? My friend recommended Parkway Bakery.

Things to do, will look into the Aquarium. Wanted to do one of those swampland tours, but I’m thinking it’s kinda impossible with a baby.

Acme should be a great option with the kiddo, given the location. Always stop by when I’m in town.

How about a stroll through Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 in the Garden District?

http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/lafayette-cemetery-no-1/

If you guys like aquariums, cool. Otherwise, your kid won’t know the difference :wink:

Parkway is Po-Boys.

Another great lunch with stroller at table and very family friendly is Mandina’s. Turtle soup, great bar to drink heavily dad and taxi back to hotel.

Do keep in mind that at 5 months anything she sees is a new experience-no real need to be kid focused at that age ( other than avoiding places that are not kid friendly and allowing for proper sleep-even if in stroller or car).

Have a great trip.

I meant more in the way of, not a hassle to bring a baby to. Like swamp tours are.