Venice (Italy) help for a first timer

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#51 Post by Steve Nordhoff » October 20th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:Great timing with this thread; I'll be there in a couple of weeks.
Any other restaurants in addition to Osteria alle Testiere in Castello and Enoteca Ai Artisti in Dorsoduro?

Thanks!!!

We ate at both of these and they were outstanding, surpassed only by Il Ridotto. We also ate ate Trattoria Cherubino, which served authentic Venetian food and was very good for lunch.
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Marshall Gelb » November 15th, 2016, 10:31 am

Thanks all...we still have almost a year so keep 'em coming! Barry, we need to have dinner soon as I need to pick your brain some more. We have two hotel "ideas ...Hotel Savoia & Jolanda with a canal view and Ca' Pisani Hotel in the quieter Dorsoduro area. Any ideas or specifics here?

Thanks again!
Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by David K o l i n » November 15th, 2016, 11:00 am

Just rolled across this thread for the first time. Great, great advice, Peter. Our favorite city as well.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

P. Moy

#54 Post by P. Moy » November 15th, 2016, 11:19 am

Marshall Gelb wrote:Thanks all...we still have almost a year so keep 'em coming! Barry, we need to have dinner soon as I need to pick your brain some more. We have two hotel "ideas ...Hotel Savoia & Jolanda with a canal view and Ca' Pisani Hotel in the quieter Dorsoduro area. Any ideas or specifics here?

Thanks again!
Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
Hey Marshall. My opinion on canal view vs. the quieter Dorsoduro district is this. You'll be spending lots of time exploring Venice on foot and perhaps by boat, which means you'll be near and on the water all the time, which makes a canal view unnecessary (for me, of course). A canal view is great if you plan on spending lots of time in your room, which I somehow don't think you'll be doing. Speaking for myself, I always prefer the tranquility of the Dorsoduro after long days of exploring. If you opt for the Ca' Pisani and must see the canal, the Accademia Bridge is only a stone's throw from the Ca' Pisani. The view from the Accademia Bridge is priceless, especially late at night or early in the morning when you (and your wife) will probably be the only ones there!
Peter Moy

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by David K o l i n » November 15th, 2016, 11:49 am

Good advice. We had a canal view in a first floor room at the Pensione Accademia on our honeymoon, which was nice, because they are half a block off of the Grand Canal. On the other hand, there was a night club next door that blasted Peter Frampton into the night, which took some of the glow away.

The Accademia Bridge late at night (we don't do early morning) is wonderful
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

P. Moy

#56 Post by P. Moy » November 20th, 2016, 7:06 am

David K o l i n wrote:Good advice. We had a canal view in a first floor room at the Pensione Accademia on our honeymoon, which was nice, because they are half a block off of the Grand Canal. On the other hand, there was a night club next door that blasted Peter Frampton into the night, which took some of the glow away.

The Accademia Bridge late at night (we don't do early morning) is wonderful
I have fond memories of the Pensione Accademia as this was the first hotel I stayed in on my very first trip to Venice. Discreetly located at the end of a canal, the pensione was, in a previous incarnation, the home of the Russian Consulate. It was here that I discovered the Dorsoduro district, and I've not looked back since. The rooms tend to be small and there is no elevator if one has mobility issues. But the place is nonetheless charming, whose clientele is largely made up of well-travelled Americans and British. A generous breakfast is offered, and the pensione has a beautiful garden where one can unwind with a drink after a day of walking and sightseeing. Some of the front desk personnel can be a bit distant, while others are more welcoming and accommodating. The night club that David mentions is still there, so a room on a higher floor is recommended. If you have an early flight out of Venice, the Pensione has its own motorboat pier where you can be whisked to the airport in 30 minutes. The Pensione does not run its own motorboat service, but will arrange one for you.

As an aside, the Pensione Accademia reminds me of the Pensione Bencista in Fiesole, a hill town that is a twenty minute bus trip (on the no. 7 bus) from the center of Florence. Once in Fiesole, the Bencista is a 5-10 minute walk from the bus stop. This gem of a pensione is family owned, and the stunning views of Florence from the terrace is alone worth the stay. If you take breakfast on the terrace, you may not wish to go into Firenze that day. Not surprisingly, the rooms tend to be small, but renovations have been going on for some time now, and I'll check the place out next time I'm in Firenze. Many guests opt for the half board on offer, which means a three course dinner of typical Tuscan fare that is very well prepared. If staying in hectic Firenze does not appeal to you, consider the Pensione Bencista.
Peter Moy

Gary York

#57 Post by Gary York » November 20th, 2016, 11:43 pm

ITB

Barry L i p t o n

#58 Post by Barry L i p t o n » November 21st, 2016, 11:18 am

I'm not a big fan of Al Cove. Too Americanized for me.

Milton Hudson

#59 Post by Milton Hudson » November 22nd, 2016, 6:24 pm

We will be in Venice on Jan 3rd and in Cremona on Jan 4th. I have a lunch available in both cities. I am leaning towards Il Ridotto. Any suggestions for Cremona?

Milton Hudson

#60 Post by Milton Hudson » November 23rd, 2016, 11:28 am

I tried to make reservations by email about how long did it take you guys to get responses? Or is a voice call better?

Milton Hudson

#61 Post by Milton Hudson » November 26th, 2016, 7:28 am

Milton Hudson wrote:I tried to make reservations by email about how long did it take you guys to get responses? Or is a voice call better?
We are confirmed at Il Ridotto. Anybody with any suggestions for Crimona?

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by P. Willenberg » December 1st, 2016, 1:33 pm

the biggest advice I have on Venice is to have a backup plan. We spent a night there and it was a night too much. Some people like hanging out with a bunch of tourists in a dirty city, but maybe that's not you. Just have a backup plan, like the Alto Adige.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by David K o l i n » December 1st, 2016, 1:41 pm

Or you might find it is the most magical, romantic city in the world. In which case, be prepared to cancel the rest of your trip.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Howard Cooper » December 2nd, 2016, 10:24 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:The idea of staying in a Hilton or a Marriott in Venice gives me the hives -- especially one "off property" -- but there is that whole "free" thing, to which I am very much attached. I looked at your place; it looks lovely and I do like the neighborhood, just across the bridge.
I would not assume that a Hilton or Marriott in Europe will look like one in the US. This summer we stayed at a Hilton in Paris that was wonderful. It was an old French hotel near the Opera House that was run down. Hilton bought the hotel and renovated it. Still looks very French, but in perfect condition. Beautiful, and we paid with points.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Howard Cooper » December 2nd, 2016, 10:25 am

P. Willenberg wrote:the biggest advice I have on Venice is to have a backup plan. We spent a night there and it was a night too much. Some people like hanging out with a bunch of tourists in a dirty city, but maybe that's not you. Just have a backup plan, like the Alto Adige.
We are thinking about doing this in September or October, which will have us spending a couple of days in Venice. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/1 ... F16%2F2017
Howard

P. Willenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by P. Willenberg » December 2nd, 2016, 11:43 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
P. Willenberg wrote:the biggest advice I have on Venice is to have a backup plan. We spent a night there and it was a night too much. Some people like hanging out with a bunch of tourists in a dirty city, but maybe that's not you. Just have a backup plan, like the Alto Adige.
We are thinking about doing this in September or October, which will have us spending a couple of days in Venice. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/1 ... F16%2F2017
I don't have any expertise there. Sorry
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Howard Cooper » December 2nd, 2016, 1:26 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:
Howard Cooper wrote:
I don't have any expertise there. Sorry
I was thinking about your idea of testing Venice out but having a backup plan in case we do not like it. One plan we are considering is go for a couple of days (for example on a cruise), and then if we like it we could make a separate trip there for longer at a later time.
Howard

P. Moy

#68 Post by P. Moy » December 23rd, 2016, 7:55 am

Friends of mine just returned from a ten day trip to Venice. They had originally planned to go in August, but I convinced them to go in late November/early December, and they were glad they did. They used points to book at the Hilton Molino Stucky on the island of Guidecca, and upon check-in, were upgraded to a suite. Because he is a Diamond, he had access to the Executive Lounge, which offered a complimentary happy hour every day and food/snacks. Moreover, his status allowed them to take breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Perhaps owing to the fact that there are far fewer visitors to Venice in December, the hotel was not full, and consequently the service was impeccable. Although my friends loved staying there, they discovered that staying on an island meant they were at the mercy of the shuttle schedule whenever they went into and out of Venice proper. There were more than a few days
where they wanted to get back to the hotel after a full day of walking and sightseeing, only to wait for the shuttle.

As art aficionados, they spent a lot of time in the Dorsoduro, where the Gallerie dell'Accademia Museum and Peggy Guggenheim Collection are located. They marvelled at the utter tranquility of the Dorsoduro,
had four wonderful meals at the Enoteca Ai Artisti, and hung out at the Cantine del Vino gia Schiavi, where they ate and drank with the friendly locals. The Cantine is my favorite wine bar in Venice, where the wine and cicchetti are still around one euro each.

The pace and energy of Venice is very different in late autumn and winter, and my friends are already planning to go back next winter and stay in the Dorsoduro.
Peter Moy

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 23rd, 2016, 1:32 pm

We have a ton of Hilton points (thank you Conrad Lower Manhattan), and have considered booking a stay at the Molino Stucky but the idea of being stuck that close, but that far, from Venice proper has stopped us. Looks like a really lovely hotel though. Thanks for the post, Peter
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

P. Moy

#70 Post by P. Moy » December 23rd, 2016, 1:50 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:We have a ton of Hilton points (thank you Conrad Lower Manhattan), and have considered booking a stay at the Molino Stucky but the idea of being stuck that close, but that far, from Venice proper has stopped us. Looks like a really lovely hotel though. Thanks for the post, Peter
My pleasure, Neal. My friends said that the Hilton Molino Stucky is not your typical Hilton, but has real character and flair. The building was once a flour mill, and in converting it to a hotel, Hilton kept some of its original features. Now if only it were located in Venice proper...
Peter Moy

Kevin Stine

#71 Post by Kevin Stine » January 6th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Book the pub tour by Alessandro Schezzini recommended by Rick Steves. This was one of the best things we did in Venice. Visited several local pubs, drank local wine (a LOT of wine) and had local snacks. I was skeptical, but it was really a good time. To be clear, not top flight wine, but a good 'local' experience.

http://www.schezzini.it
Kevin Stine

G. Greenbaum

#72 Post by G. Greenbaum » January 20th, 2017, 10:21 am

M.Kaplan wrote:Biennale 2017.
Yep. I will be there.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Marshall Gelb » February 3rd, 2017, 4:34 pm

Thanks all .....Bumping up the Venice thread as my Bologna thread veered a bit off course. [stirthepothal.gif]

Keep the ideas coming!

Cheers!
Marshall [wink.gif]

Ian Sutton

#74 Post by Ian Sutton » February 3rd, 2017, 4:46 pm

Good move - if the Venice debate carries on, let's ask them to move future posts over here [cheers.gif]
Normal for Norfolk

Milton Hudson

#75 Post by Milton Hudson » February 6th, 2017, 8:43 am

We spent 2 nights in Venice Jan 1 to Jan 3. It was bitter cold and windy and very crowded. We traveled from Salzburg by train on Jan 1. The train ride was extremely enjoyable, beautiful scenery, relaxing. We checked into the hotel and headed back to Venice via bus as there was a bus stop right by our hotel. Didn't do much more than eat dinner at a place that was open (being Jan 1 and Sunday, most places were closed).
IMG_2108.jpg
IMG_2108.jpg (17.84 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
Next day we trekked through the city, did a Gondola ride, had a nice lunch. Our impression was that it was like the French Quarter in New Orleans, crowded with smoking tourists, lots of touristy shops. We met up with the other folks from our tour group that night. We walked about a mile from the hotel to a great neighborhood restaurant recommended by the bartender at the hotel. Food was great, not a tourist in sight and they bent over backwards to make it a fun experience for us. Even had water named after my wife.
IMG_2140.jpg
IMG_2140.jpg (18.35 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
Next day we did the tour group thing, got my daughter her Gondola ride and had a quick lunch.
IMG_2153.jpg
IMG_2153.jpg (17.11 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
IMG_2158.jpg
IMG_2158.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
One benefit of the tour group thing, was moving to the head of the line for tours of the Doge etc. The non-tour group line to get in stretched from one side of St. Marks square to the other, 4 abreast.
This picture is from Monday afternoon, when by comparison to Tuesday the Square was deserted.
IMG_2130.jpg
IMG_2130.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
The lunch left us with a pretty negative impression of anything around St Marks's Square. While I was getting my daughter her Gondola ride, my wife and another lady went in search of a lunch spot. Immediately upon entering the upselling began. And it was relentless. The food was okay but about twice what we had paid for much better food on Sunday.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Marshall Gelb » February 6th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Milton: Thank you. I will definitely have a small tour or guide for the main "attractions." We have had good luck with Viator in Rome (and the Vatican), Barcelona, Lima, and Quito. I definitely like to avoid those crazy lines. Overall, I expect Venice to be "touristy" but on the other hand we will have enough time to enjoy the other, less hectic aspects of the city. Balance will be the key since as has been mentioned, Venice draws lots of tourists for a reason. We certainly will qualify as tourists [rofl.gif] , but have travelled enough to think we are not totally "typical." I remain very much excited to spend time in Venice and welcome more comments.....positive and negative as all have purpose and provide benefits.

As to food, I realize that Venice is not Rome, Barcelona, San Sebastian or Normandy but thanks to Peter, Mark, Barry and others, I am sure we will eat relatively well.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Michael Martin » February 6th, 2017, 5:51 pm

I have traveled to many parts of Italy and I know my opinion is in the minority, but I would say go to Venice to check it off your bucket list, but then go to some of the other parts of the country where authenticity lives, not a town kept alive just for tourists.
The architecture of the city is interesting, no denying the romantic back alleys, but the food seemed geared to the tourist. The crowds were stifling. I get it, it's a unique place in the world, but man o man we had far better experiences elsewhere in Italy. I love Italy, just not Venice. Sorry didn't mean to poop on anyone's parade. That is just our experience.

Milton Hudson

#78 Post by Milton Hudson » February 6th, 2017, 6:09 pm

Marshall,
Food wise, I just wanted to warn off of the places anywhere close to St Mark's. We had reservations at Il Ridotta, I was really looking forward to it and they changed our itinerary which screwed with my plans. I liked the general vibe of Venice, but the crowds were just very unexpected and jarring to the whole experience. Getting rammed by Japanese with selfie sticks and the cigarette smoke everywhere and having to squeeze through alleys because they were so jammed was very unexpected. I just didn't expect this.
Off the Venice path, we absolutely loved Verona and Cremona. I would go back to either of those cities in a heartbeat. Venice, I would love to do at some time when the town wasn't just completely wall to wall with people. And not as cold as a witches' titty.

J e f f Pryznyk

#79 Post by J e f f Pryznyk » February 21st, 2017, 9:59 am

Coming onto this discussion very late, but I can agree with Peter that the Dorsoduro is perfect. Stayed at Ca'Maria Adele in fall of 2015 beautiful old palazzo with great service next to Salute. Would also recommend Il Ridotto for dinner.

P. Moy

#80 Post by P. Moy » February 21st, 2017, 11:39 am

J e f f Pryznyk wrote:Coming onto this discussion very late, but I can agree with Peter that the Dorsoduro is perfect. Stayed at Ca'Maria Adele in fall of 2015 beautiful old palazzo with great service next to Salute. Would also recommend Il Ridotto for dinner.
The Ca' Maria Adele is an excellent hotel, Jeff, and is in a great location. I once went to visit to check it out and ended up talking to the owner for a couple hours.
Peter Moy

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Scott Jameson » March 5th, 2017, 6:00 am

Great thread ! Thanks to Peter and everyone else for all the info !

Once I realized the train from Vienna terminated in Venice, I thought we might spend a couple of nights here, including New Year's Eve, before continuing on. Right now, we're looking at staying at the Boscolo Venezia, which is a Marriott Autograph Collection property where we can use points, as room rates for many of the places mentioned here look pretty high at that time (if they are not sold out). I understand this hotel is on the north side in a quieter area, and I'm thinking this might be a plus for the nights we're there. Milton's report scares me a bit, though. Are guides or a tour group a reliable way to circumvent the crowds ? If so, I'd love to hear some recommendations.

P. Moy

#82 Post by P. Moy » July 20th, 2017, 8:28 am

My next door neighbor has long wanted to visit Venice, and got his chance when his company sent him to Padua (some 25 miles or 39 km west of Venice) for business. He flew into Venice for a four day weekend before heading to Padua. Before leaving, we sat down to plan an itinerary that would give him a real feel for the city in spite of going in the middle of the tourist season.

Of course, I suggested he stay in my beloved Dorsoduro, and so he booked a room at the three star Hotel Agli Alboretti. This is where I stayed in the early years of my travels to Venice, when it was a two star hotel. The Agli Alboretti is a family owned hotel, and provides quiet and clean, if small, rooms for a good price. The reception is generally friendly and hospitable, but when there are many guests waiting to check in, things can get quite hectic. Adjoining the hotel is the Ristorante Agli Alboretti, which the hotel used to own, but has since been sold. I ate at the ristorante often when it was part of the hotel, but not since it was sold. I am told that the ristorante now serves a more creative version of the local cuisine.

My neighbor walked everywhere, and that is what visitors tend to do and are encouraged to do. He took the vaporetto on a number of occasions during the day and evening to get a perspective of the city from the water. Needless to say, on foot and by boat, he was mesmerized by the utter beauty of the city.

The Dorsoduro is home to many museums, among them the Gallerie dell' Accademia and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection. The former houses pre-19th century art, especially of the Venetian masters, while the latter showcases 20th century European and American art. My friend is normally not a museum goer, but spent an entire afternoon at both museums out of curiosity and also, as he put it, out of duty as a visitor. He loved it.

He spent half a day exploring the Dorsoduro, which is the sestiere located in the southernmost part of Venice. The further south and west of the Dorsoduro he walked, the more he understood that there indeed is a Venice that visitors rarely see or are not inclined to explore. He found nooks and crannies that led him even deeper into the Dorsoduro; small bridges that led to "unknown" campi (squares) and calli (narrow streets); and wine bars frequented only by locals and the occasional intrepid visitor. My friend capped off his adventure in the Dorsoduro by having lunch at the Enoteca Ai Artisti, which, until recently, was my "secret" restaurant. Family owned, the Enoteca serves beautifully prepared Venetian classics that is matched, as the name of the restaurant suggests, by a serious list.

Nightlife in Venice centers largely on walking, taking in a concert at a local church, and going to a cichetti bar for wine, cichetti and lively conversation. I suggested my friend spend his evenings at a wine bar, and the only one I know well is the esteemed Cantinone Gia Schiavi, or Al Bottegon as it is also known. Of course it is located in the Dorsoduro, and of course my friend spent three evenings there eating, drinking and meeting the locals as well as visitors who venture or stay in the Dorsoduro. He told me he never had so much fun in a bar, and this being a cichetti bar, the final tariff did not come close to denting his wallet.

Before my friend left, he asked how he could truly experience Venice's legendary beauty. I advised him to go to the Piazza San Marco at noon, and to return at 5am. The Piazza San Marco at noon is the Venice that all visitors know well. It is elbow to elbow, loud, and where pickpockets ply their skills. The Piazza San Marco at 5am is the Venice of poetry, where one can hear the muse speaking softly and beckoning one to inhale the intoxicating beauty of a city that, ironically, is defined by decay. I advised him to stand at the Ponte dell Accademia on the way back to the hotel, and gaze out at the Grand Canal as the sun is rising. At the Piazza San Marco at 5am and on the Accademia Bridge at the break of dawn, my friend was utterly entranced. He heard the muse. When he came home, he told his wife that they will travel to Venice in the next year or so in late autumn or early winter, which is, in my opinion, the best time to go.
Peter Moy

G. Greenbaum

#83 Post by G. Greenbaum » August 1st, 2017, 9:31 am

Hi Marshall - I just returned from my trip which included 5 nights in Venice. Saw the main Biennale exhibits and several satellite galleries. Caught the Damien Hirst show at both locations. Also highly recommend the European Cultural Centre at both Palazzo Mora and Palazzo Bembo. I stayed in the Castello so ate mostly around there. Highly recommend both Al Covo and Covino. Al Covo is the more formal ristorante. Covino (it's younger sibling) is my kind of place (dinner only), 3 courses for 40€, all natural wine list. Very tiny place so book well in advance through the website (2 seatings at 7 and 9:30). Also in Castello is Corte Sconta. Very nice with a lovely patio area in back. Excellent seafood. Also ate at Estro (Dorsoduro). A really nice natural wine enoteca with great food-might be a good lunch choice. I highly recommend a visit to San Michele (island cemetery) if you enjoy that kind of thing-I do! Also, the easiest transfer from Marco Polo (assuming you arrive there) is via the Alilaguna water taxi. You'll get a nice overview of Venice on your way. Enjoy your trip!
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

P. Moy

#84 Post by P. Moy » September 4th, 2017, 7:34 am

For centuries, Venice has attracted writers and artists who sought inspiration by visiting or living in this most magical of cities. The great writer Joseph Brodsky was one such person who heard the siren's call, and ended up spending some twenty winters in the city. His meditation on Venice is eloquently captured in WATERMARK, a must read for those visitors who have already been smitten by La Serenissima's spell, and for those who may be contemplating a trip.
Peter Moy

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 4th, 2017, 7:37 am

I'd really like to spend some time in Venice in the winter. Maybe when I retire. Bet it's spooky as hell!

P. Moy

#86 Post by P. Moy » September 4th, 2017, 8:35 am

I see your point, Neal. It may appear to be spooky in winter when the city is enveloped in mist and the only compass one has is the twinkling of lights from monuments, shops and apartments. Yes, it may appear to be spooky when walking late at night or early in the morning, and the only sound one hears is the gentle splashing of water in the canal. And in winter, the "ghosts" do come out, but as whispers that remind one of Venice's history and beauty. I've spent many a winter there, and I love it when the locals once again reclaim their city. You know Venice is Venice when the only language you hear spoken is Italian and the Venetian dialect.
Peter Moy

Ian Sutton

#87 Post by Ian Sutton » September 30th, 2017, 2:31 am

A couple of numbers to dwell on, provided by a forumite on a travel forum.

~ 55,000 : Number of Italians living in Venice
~ 20,000,000 : Number of tourists each year to Venice
Normal for Norfolk

P. Moy

#88 Post by P. Moy » October 1st, 2017, 7:10 am

Ian Sutton wrote:A couple of numbers to dwell on, provided by a forumite on a travel forum.

~ 55,000 : Number of Italians living in Venice
~ 20,000,000 : Number of tourists each year to Venice
Those are staggering numbers. All the more so to visit Venice in late November or, even better, winter.
Peter Moy

Ian Sutton

#89 Post by Ian Sutton » October 1st, 2017, 8:32 am

Hi Peter
Yes, the numbers posted by someone just returned from a visit there, who was recalling how it was back in 1968/9 and longing for those days. Some of our friends noted recently how touristy Verona had become in the last two decades and places like Cinque Terre now struggling with the huge numbers of visitors.

Travelling out of summer in most (but not all) places helps. Our preference is for May or Sept/Oct, but for the very touristy places, I think Jan/Feb would make sense.

Regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

P. Moy

#90 Post by P. Moy » October 1st, 2017, 8:51 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Hi Peter

Travelling out of summer in most (but not all) places helps. Our preference is for May or Sept/Oct, but for the very touristy places, I think Jan/Feb would make sense.

Regards
Ian
There are two exceptions when traveling to Venice in winter. The Christmas/New Years period; and Carnevale, which in 2018 runs from 27th January-13th February. Venice is packed during these two times.
Peter Moy

Ian Sutton

#91 Post by Ian Sutton » October 1st, 2017, 11:00 am

Do you think they'd be prepared to reschedule to create a gap? [wink.gif]
Normal for Norfolk

P. Moy

#92 Post by P. Moy » October 1st, 2017, 12:43 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Do you think they'd be prepared to reschedule to create a gap? [wink.gif]
[dance-clap.gif]
Peter Moy

andrewkr

#93 Post by andrewkr » October 2nd, 2017, 7:27 am

We were in Florence last month but after reading this thread I realize that we definitely should return to Italy. Venice...ah

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Scott Jameson » October 2nd, 2017, 12:40 pm

P. Moy wrote:

Regards
Ian
There are two exceptions when traveling to Venice in winter. The Christmas/New Years period; and Carnevale, which in 2018 runs from 27th January-13th February. Venice is packed during these two times.
How bad is Venice over New Year's Eve ? We currently plan to be there 30 December to 2 January. Is this a mistake ?

P. Moy

#95 Post by P. Moy » October 2nd, 2017, 5:34 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
P. Moy wrote:

Regards
Ian
How bad is Venice over New Year's Eve ? We currently plan to be there 30 December to 2 January. Is this a mistake ?
New Year's Eve in any major city is festive, and Venice is no exception. I've never been to Venice over the Christmas and New Year's holidays, but neighbors and friends have, and they told me they would never do it again. The entire city is filled with revelers, tens of thousands of them, many in costumes with alcohol in their hands. If you're looking for a quiet dinner surrounded by the romance of Venice, save it for another time. Go in the week before Christmas or in mid-January through February.
Peter Moy

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Paul Miller » October 3rd, 2017, 11:12 am

Just found this thread. Going early next May (2018). Us and another couple are both celebrating our 25th. Just going to hang out for a week. Great recs in this thread. Thanks for adding all the details.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Marshall Gelb » October 11th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Unfortunately, I had to put off the trip to Venice! However, next year looks like a go! Will definitely keep this thread going and use it in the future. Thanks to everyone!

Cheers!
Marshall

Tony Jones

#98 Post by Tony Jones » October 28th, 2017, 5:33 pm

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Europa and the Hotel Danieli when we went to Venice a few years ago. We had a lagoon view room at the Danieli and it did not disappoint. The Concierge recommended a Steakhouse that was walking distance and fantastic. Can't recall the name.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 28th, 2017, 7:10 pm

I can't imagine eating at a steakhouse in Venice no matter how good it is.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 10th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:Unfortunately, I had to put off the trip to Venice! However, next year looks like a go! Will definitely keep this thread going and use it in the future. Thanks to everyone!

Cheers!
Marshall

Yahoo! Quoting myself.... [dance-clap.gif] [rofl.gif] Finally have our days booked in Venice for October! "Officially" ready for more recommendations! grouphug

Thanks again!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Return to “Travel Forum”