Venice (Italy) help for a first timer

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#101 Post by Howard Cooper » January 12th, 2018, 11:05 am

Marshall Gelb wrote:
Marshall Gelb wrote:Unfortunately, I had to put off the trip to Venice! However, next year looks like a go! Will definitely keep this thread going and use it in the future. Thanks to everyone!

Cheers!
Marshall

Yahoo! Quoting myself.... [dance-clap.gif] [rofl.gif] Finally have our days booked in Venice for October! "Officially" ready for more recommendations! grouphug

Thanks again!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
Spend some time walking around Murano. Loved looking at all the glasswork. We ended up buying a new chandelier.
IMG_20171028_120512.jpg
IMG_20171028_120512.jpg (14.72 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 14th, 2018, 11:45 am

Howard: Beautiful! How did you get it home? Shipping?

Cheers!
Marshall
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Howard Cooper » January 15th, 2018, 5:56 am

Marshall Gelb wrote:Howard: Beautiful! How did you get it home? Shipping?

Cheers!
Marshall
Yes. The store shipped it and we had our handyman (who is quite good) put it together (the glass came wrapped and separate) and install it.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Barry L i p t o n

#104 Post by Barry L i p t o n » January 15th, 2018, 10:26 am

Best day to visit Murano is Sunday when the day trippers cause Venice to get even more crowded.

It’s fun to take the private boat that a factory will arrange as long as you are interested in the tour. No hard sell (but the stuff is very expensive)
Busa Alla Torre is the place for lunch on Murano. Reservations needed.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Marshall Gelb » January 23rd, 2018, 12:10 pm

Finally have our hotel rezzies....Hotel Ca' Pisani which Peter recommended. Now, I need to firm up some restaurants!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

P. Moy

#106 Post by P. Moy » January 24th, 2018, 10:46 am

Marshall Gelb wrote:Finally have our hotel rezzies....Hotel Ca' Pisani which Peter recommended. Now, I need to firm up some restaurants!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
Excellent choice of accommodations, Marshall! The breakfast spread at the Ca' Pisani is quite ample. If you have a late breakfast and load up, it can sustain you until dinner. Just a thought.

For restaurants, Alle Testiere is superb, as is the Osteria Enoteca Ai Artisti in the Dorsoduro. The latter was, until recently, an undiscovered gem. Family owned, and as the name of the place suggests, they are passionate about wine. I discovered the Enoteca one late afternoon while wandering in that part of the Dorsoduro where few visitors trod (and still the case). As I walked past the Osteria, a waiter walked out carrying a plate with a huge veal chop and a bottle of wine. Lunch service was over, and he was about to have his lunch. He noticed the amazed look on my face, and invited me to sit with him and have a glass of wine. We must have chatted for two hours, during which he told me about the Enoteca and gave me some insider tips regarding his beloved city. I returned for dinner the next evening, and the rest is history. Simply a wonderful place to eat (especially seafood, of course) and drink.

He gave me a tip about a cicchetti bar I had already known of and gone to many times. Head over to the Cantine del Vino Gia Schiavi (also known as Al Bottegon) in the Dorsoduro for cicchetti and tumblers of wine. Staff are super friendly, the cicchetti are delicious, and wine plentiful. In the off season, it's a locals hangout only. During tourist season, not so much. Opposite the bar are floor-to-ceiling shelves filled with hundreds of bottles of wine for sale at retail.
Peter Moy

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 24th, 2018, 10:52 am

P. Moy wrote:
Marshall Gelb wrote:Finally have our hotel rezzies....Hotel Ca' Pisani which Peter recommended. Now, I need to firm up some restaurants!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
Excellent choice of accommodations, Marshall! The breakfast spread at the Ca' Pisani is quite ample. If you have a late breakfast and load up, it can sustain you until dinner. Just a thought.
Ha! When I am in Italy, I am looking for ways to squeeze in MORE meals, not fewer!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

P. Moy

#108 Post by P. Moy » January 24th, 2018, 11:05 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
P. Moy wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
Ha! When I am in Italy, I am looking for ways to squeeze in MORE meals, not fewer!
touche!
Peter Moy

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Paul Miller » January 24th, 2018, 2:55 pm

We have a 2 bedroom apartment reserved for early May in Dorsoduro. Going with another couple, each of us celebrating our 25th.

Thanks for all the notes and suggestions. Special thanks to Peter - your suggestions are very helpful.

Riccardo Campinoti

#110 Post by Riccardo Campinoti » January 27th, 2018, 11:24 am

If you have a few days in Venice this place could be a good idea for lunch. Only half an hour out of town and one of the best seafood restaurants in all of Italy. Also, no tourists , as most of you seem to be bothered by them -))
http://www.osteriacera.it/
ITB Brunello Producer

Mattstolz

#111 Post by Mattstolz » January 30th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Marshall, It sounds like my wife and I will be in Venice maybe a couple of months before you (first days of July).

Thanks to this thread, I already have some reservations booked for lunch a at Il Ridotto and a dinner at Osteria alle Testiere, and am starting to plan enoteca visits along the way. We are staying at an AirBnb which is in San Marco, but only a couple minute walk from the Ponte dell Accademia.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Paul Miller » February 3rd, 2018, 10:36 am

Saw this on Twitter today. From the Decanter:

Ten great restaurants in Venice for wine lovers
The floating city is a playground for food and wine lovers. We asked Veneto producers for tips to help you navigate the maze of cicheti bars and canals - and dodge the tourists…

http://www.decanter.com/wine-travel/ita ... rs-380505/

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Marshall Gelb » February 6th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Mattstolz wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Marshall, It sounds like my wife and I will be in Venice maybe a couple of months before you (first days of July).

Thanks to this thread, I already have some reservations booked for lunch a at Il Ridotto and a dinner at Osteria alle Testiere, and am starting to plan enoteca visits along the way. We are staying at an AirBnb which is in San Marco, but only a couple minute walk from the Ponte dell Accademia.

Just booked Osteria alle Testiere.......good start!
Cheers!
Marshall

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Marshall Gelb » February 26th, 2018, 10:38 am

Mattstolz wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Matt: Have a great time and keep me (us) posted!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » March 7th, 2018, 8:33 pm

Regarding Murano, it is a nice place to spend half a day. If you are interested in the factory tour, mention it to your hotel and they’ll arange a water taxi that will be free to get you there. The tour is short - you’ll watch them make a small figurine and get to ask questions, and then go into the massive gift shop. Unless you want something really unique like a chandelier, do not buy from the factory. The prices are absurd because its the first place you go and first time you see a lot of the items. Other shops on the island have similar items at lower prices. Just make sure they are authentic with the stamp and sticker. Ask your tour guide how to tell.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Paul Miller » March 7th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:Regarding Murano, it is a nice place to spend half a day. If you are interested in the factory tour, mention it to your hotel and they’ll arange a water taxi that will be free to get you there. The tour is short - you’ll watch them make a small figurine and get to ask questions, and then go into the massive gift shop. Unless you want something really unique like a chandelier, do not buy from the factory. The prices are absurd because its the first place you go and first time you see a lot of the items. Other shops on the island have similar items at lower prices. Just make sure they are authentic with the stamp and sticker. Ask your tour guide how to tell.
If I remember correctly, there are numerous shops there - one right after another.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Marshall Gelb » March 24th, 2018, 7:07 am

P. Moy wrote:
P. Moy wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

We now have rezzies for Osteria all Testiere and Al Covo. Looking at Il Ridotto and Riviera as well but we are too far out to make this reservations. Riviera is about five minutes from our hotel so a great place for our first night.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Paul Miller » March 30th, 2018, 10:12 am

Marshall Gelb wrote: We now have rezzies for Osteria all Testiere and Al Covo. Looking at Il Ridotto and Riviera as well but we are too far out to make this reservations. Riviera is about five minutes from our hotel so a great place for our first night.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
We now have reservations for Il Ridotto and Riviera in early May. We are renting an apartment on Dorsoduro, just below the Guggenheim museum.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Paul Miller » March 30th, 2018, 6:59 pm

For entertainment value, go to Trip Advisor and look up Riviera. Go read the reviews and look for the bad ones and the owner’s responses. The responses are classics.

P. Moy

#120 Post by P. Moy » April 2nd, 2018, 7:16 am

We now have rezzies for Osteria all Testiere and Al Covo. Looking at Il Ridotto and Riviera as well but we are too far out to make this reservations. Riviera is about five minutes from our hotel so a great place for our first night.

Greetings Marshall. If the Riviera is five minutes from Ca'Pisani, the Ristorante Agli Alboretti is five seconds away. It is attached to the hotel of the same name, but the restaurant is now under new ownership. The food veers slightly away from traditional, as the chef is a bit creative in interpreting the classics of Venetian cuisine. When the restaurant was under the ownership of the hotel, the proprietress doubled as sommelier at dinner, and she had amassed a great cellar of wines such as '85 and '90 Monfortino at reasonable prices. Hopefully there is much left in the cellar. I haven't been since the ownership switch, but friends ate there twice last autumn, and had a memorable lunch and dinner with great service. Another option to consider for your first night.
Peter Moy

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Ed Gonzales » April 19th, 2018, 9:53 am

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
greetings young man.

we pretty much tried all the most recommended restaurants that were listed here, but our faves were:

osteria alle testiere (castello) was really good - minimal, subtle but definitely high class food , i even saved you the 06 monfortino ;) Lucca - the somm/gm was a gracious host. if he knows you know/love your wine, glasses of blue chip valpoliccelas, barolos, etc. may end up at your table. this is a nice 20 minute stroll from your hotel

ai artisti (dorsoduro) was also good, we had the 2nd/3rd reservation and closed down the place with the staff. like alle testiere, they let the ingredients do all the showboating. they didn't really need to do much..hell, my favorite dish here was the raw red shrimp off the coast of croatia they harvested that morning.

the 2 standout cicchetti places were cantina del vino gia schiavi (dorsoduro) and osteria al squero (dorsoduro). the best part, they are only 20yds from each other on the same street. my preference was al squero given that they had more selections.

[cheers.gif]
ed s @ n

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Paul Miller » April 19th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Ed Gonzales wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
greetings young man.

we pretty much tried all the most recommended restaurants that were listed here, but our faves were:

osteria alle testiere (castello) was really good - minimal, subtle but definitely high class food , i even saved you the 06 monfortino ;) Lucca - the somm/gm was a gracious host. if he knows you know/love your wine, glasses of blue chip valpoliccelas, barolos, etc. may end up at your table. this is a nice 20 minute stroll from your hotel

ai artisti (dorsoduro) was also good, we had the 2nd/3rd reservation and closed down the place with the staff. like alle testiere, they let the ingredients do all the showboating. they didn't really need to do much..hell, my favorite dish here was the raw red shrimp off the coast of croatia they harvested that morning.

the 2 standout cicchetti places were cantina del vino gia schiavi (dorsoduro) and osteria al squero (dorsoduro). the best part, they are only 20yds from each other on the same street. my preference was al squero given that they had more selections.

[cheers.gif]
We added Artisti.

Will check out Al Squero. Thanks!

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Marshall Gelb » May 9th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Ed Gonzales wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
greetings young man.

[cheers.gif]

Awesome! Thanks for the info...we will definitely get together prior to the trip so we can hear all the gory details! Love the fact the the two cicchetti places are both in our neighborhoods. My "only" problem, [rofl.gif] is my lack of knowledge on Venetian and Fruili whites. Going to put up a thread in "wine talk" asking for help. [help.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Evan Pontoriero

#124 Post by Evan Pontoriero » May 9th, 2018, 6:09 pm

There is an awesome kart track in Jesolo. The karts are fast and you can feel like an Italian sitting by the track with a Negroni. Beaches aren't bad either.

http://www.pista-azzurra.com/eng/index.html
Fogline Vineyards
Petaluma Gap

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by Marshall Gelb » May 10th, 2018, 11:51 am

Paul Miller wrote:
Ed Gonzales wrote:

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
greetings young man.

[cheers.gif]
We added Artisti.

Paul : It is now May and I gather you are either in or will be in Venice soon. Have an awesome trip and I look forward to your comments. Not so sure if I actually trust Ed son's opinions!!! [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Paul Miller » May 18th, 2018, 7:56 am

Marshall Gelb wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:
Ed Gonzales wrote: greetings young man.

[cheers.gif]
We added Artisti.

Paul : It is now May and I gather you are either in or will be in Venice soon. Have an awesome trip and I look forward to your comments. Not so sure if I actually trust Ed son's opinions!!! [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
Just got back a couple of days ago. I'll follow-up with some more detailed notes, but Ed was spot-on. Artisi was a highlight, and I lost count of how much we drank at both Schiavi and Squero. I took a ton of pics while at those two places.

All-in-all, it was a great trip, and the recs in this thread were tremendously helpful.

[cheers.gif]

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by Ed Gonzales » May 18th, 2018, 8:59 am

Paul Miller wrote:
Marshall Gelb wrote:
Paul Miller wrote: We added Artisti.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]
Just got back a couple of days ago. I'll follow-up with some more detailed notes, but Ed was spot-on. Artisi was a highlight, and I lost count of how much we drank at both Schiavi and Squero. I took a ton of pics while at those two places.

All-in-all, it was a great trip, and the recs in this thread were tremendously helpful.

[cheers.gif]
paul - glad you had a great trip. [cheers.gif]

marshall - neener
ed s @ n

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Marshall Gelb » May 21st, 2018, 12:58 pm

Ed Gonzales wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:
Paul Miller wrote: We added Artisti.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

[cheers.gif]
paul - glad you had a great trip. [cheers.gif]

marshall - neener[/quote]

I love you man! Definitely planning on Artisi. Still have a couple of more places in mind but they do not take rezzies until a bit closer to the actual date. Hopefully, we can squeeze in at least one football tailgate before we actually leave for the trip. [winner.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Mattstolz

#129 Post by Mattstolz » July 7th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Hi Marshall! my wife and I just got back from our trip that included 2 days in Venice yesterday! We went to Testiere, and I can confirm it was good, but it was also the most expensive meal on our trip, so be ready for that (two glasses of wine and 4 dishes total: 115 euro).

I can second the recs for Schiavi and Al Squero. both really good for cicchetti. our favorite Gelato place in Venice, Nicos, was also just a few steps away.

We did not do a gondola ride and I think what we did instead was WAAAAAYYYY better. our Airbnb host recc'd a young guy who just has a classic wood motorboat that picked us up at 9 (sunset) and took us around all the canals instead. for an hour and a half it was 85 euro, about what you pay for 45 mins on a gondola. Still a very nice boat with a slow tour and great (probably much more talkative) guide, who ended up spending over 2 hours with us. He took us all over the island, stopped for gelato, and even showed us a spot where you can see the bioluminescent algae in the canals. If you would like his email PM me and I will happily share his contact info, because it was one of our favorite experiences of the trip.

I also second Murano on a Sunday. Some of the stuff will be closed but Venice itself is nuts. there was one Forno doing demonstrations and it was free (it is run by Alilaguna, who also runs the boat from the airport to Venice). If you want to see their REALLY beautiful stuff, chat up one of the guys in the shop and make friends with them. They will take you upstairs where the chandeliers, decanters, and etched wine glasses are. they haggle well, we could have left with a set of 12 beautiful wine glasses for about 450, including shipping, but just weren't prepared to even be up there so we passed lol.

Make sure you get a multi-day pass for the waterbus. Its a really cheap, fast, and convenient way to get around, and even to just simply cross the grand canal easier (there are only about 2-3 main bridges across for the whole canal).

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Marshall Gelb » July 19th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Matt: Sorry for the late response. Wonderful input and the private boat ride sounds fantastic! I would love to get his personal information.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Rob Michaels

#131 Post by Rob Michaels » July 25th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Dal Moro's Fresh Pasta to Go. Worth seeking out. Inexpensive, tasty, and slightly challenging to find, which leads you on a beautiful walk through Venice. And don't miss Grom for gelato.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Venice (Italy) help for a first timer

#132 Post by Marshall Gelb » September 20th, 2018, 11:16 am

Restaurants are now all booked.....We had better walk quite a bit while we are there . Any other tips are still appreciated as we are basically just planning to "wander" the majority of the time.

Thanks again!

Cheers! [cheers.gif]

Marshall [berserker.gif]

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Paul Miller » September 20th, 2018, 12:07 pm

I promised a write-up when I returned, didn't I? [swoon.gif]

Let me crank on that. But quickly:

- We did go to Il Ridotto. It's a Michelin star restaurant. Was enjoyable, but was not wowed.
- Also went to Osteria Enoteca Ai Artisti. More approachable, and very enjoyable. Great place to not break the bank.
- Favorite was Riviera Ristorante per Onnivori. Sat outside along the canal. Not cheap, but had a great meal and a fabulous time.

I'll work on better write-ups.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Rick Allen » October 3rd, 2018, 9:19 am

Dining at Agli Alboretti tonight (actually in about an hour and a half). I will report back.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Rick Allen » October 3rd, 2018, 11:15 pm

Dinner at Agli Alboretti was excellent. We started with a Scallop Ceviche Bruschetta that was both visually stunning and delicious. Next up, I had a Lobster Ragout Tonarelli and Jan had Veal Stuffed Ravioli. Both were excellent, though I thought my lobster thing was probably the weakest course of the night. The Ravioli was simply delicious - lightly dressed in a cream sauce that let the veal flavor shine. We then had a Fried Mixed Seafood and Grilled Swordfish. The fried fish and shellfish was lightly coated in a tempura-like batter and barely fried. The result was a crisp shell with perfectly cooked seafood underneath. The swordfish was meaty - almost steak-like, but tender and delicious. We finished the night off with a Tiramisu that had a great interplay of mocha/mascarpone flavors. I'm not a "take pictures of my food" guy, but the presentation of all the courses was a delight from a visual standpoint as well. Overall, this was our best meal of the trip so far by a fair margin.

Andrew Gelb

#136 Post by Andrew Gelb » October 7th, 2018, 10:31 am

Thank you Peter and the others who chimed in. Like Marshall and Diana, with whom we will be in Venice, Xiaopei and I have never been before, and the tips and insights you have proffered have been wonderful to read and definitely will accompany us as we wander. Thank you very much!

Andrew [cheers.gif]

Return to “Travel Forum”