Seattle advice

Going to Seattle with the family (kids 7-5-1)

Looking for recommendation for a hotel with suite option, somewhat central.

Also would really like to go on a cruise to see the orcas in the San Juan Islands region. But I think 3-4 hours on the boat will drive my kids bananas. Not counting the couple hours it takes to get up there. Does anyone have suggestions for a great nature viewing day trip that will capture the essence of regional beauty, without starting an all out mutiny?

Thanks!

Can’t help you on hotels, since as a local, I don’t stay in them. A simple day trip that gives you a sense of the region is to take a ferry from downtown to Bainbridge Island, walk around the town, and take the ferry back. No car needed. On a nice day, you get mtn, Puget Sound and downtown skyline views.

This. I made that same recommendation to a couple at Seatac airport the other day. Central hotels with suite options might be the W, the Sheraton or the Westin. I’m sure that there are others, but those three come to mind first and all are pretty centrally located. When national politicians (President, VP and others) come to town, they tend to stay at the Sheraton.

I hope that helps.

In terms of hotels, I’ve stayed at the maxwell in lower Queen Anne. It’s a nice enough boutique, and it’s in walking distance to the space needle. There’s underground parking, but it’s a little tight. It’s within reasonable driving distance to pikes place and Woodinville.

What’s a good neighborhood to stay in that’s connected to the touristy areas by light rail service? I’ve heard it’s friendly and reliable, is that the case?

Truly wonderful hotel - but not in central Seattle. Still, they will drop you at the light rail which is right nearby as is Seatac. Cedarbrook Lodge - an amazingly comfortable hotel, each of the four small buildings with rooms has a large living room where you can watch tv etc (and munch the free snacks inc haagen daz and yogurt). Superb restaurant and spa … free breakfast that is really a full breakfast buffet in a lovely space and nice grounds. No pool, hot tub only. Oh, and often inexpensive. Again, not in the city but I go back every chance I get.

We had a good experience with kids staying at the W. It’s in the heart of downtown and less than 2 blocks from the light rail. For us, the highlight of our last trip to Seattle was the Museum of Flight. The kids loved it (and so did I).

The only real options adjacent to light rail are the airport hotels (not advisable for a leisure trip and all the way at the end of the line) and the downtown hotels. While the light rail line is a big step forward, about the only places a visitor would take it would be to/from the airport and up to Capitol Hill. The only hotel I can think of within reasonable walking distance on Capitol Hill is the Silver Cloud on Broadway. I’ve never stayed at that location but I stayed at the newer sister property near the stadiums and was impressed.

Nearly as easy as the light rail and certainly more flexible are the RapidRide buses. These are big red (as opposed to the standard blue/purple) buses that make fewer stops, have a pay before you board system for quicker stops, and have an electronic readerboard at most stops to let you know when the next bus will arrive. The D line is probably the one you would want to look at. With a 10 minute ride from downtown it would get you within about three blocks of the previously mentioned Maxwell. I’ve had friends stay there and said it was solid and it’s usually a fair bit less expensive than downtown. Directly across the street from the same stop (Mercer and Queen Anne Ave N) is the MarQueen hotel. It might not be what you are looking for with kids but is a very nice hotel with an excellent bar.

Another 20 minutes or so on the D line will get you to Ballard, which is a popular spot with Seattle’s main Farmer’s Market on the weekends and many of the better known restaurants. I would recommend it if looking for an out-of-downtown option with reasonable accessibility and with slightly fewer rough edges (given young kids) than parts of Capitol Hill.

I would put another vote behind the Bainbridge ferry excursion. Completely negates the need to get a rental car, car seat, etc and has just enough variety to keep everyone entertained. The ferry is always fun for kids and while you are not likely to see any orcas, you’ll definitely get some seabirds following the ferry and will usually see jellyfish in the water. The walk to main street on Bainbridge is very short and you can get an ice cream and/or a glass of wine and walk through a few small shops before going back. Plus, I think that most of the day trips from Seattle might be too much of the same for kids that age. You’ll know better whether they like to see tall trees.

For a bit of nature viewing, don’t forget about the fish ladder at the Ballard locks. You didn’t mention when you’ll be visiting but there should be salmon runs through October or so. I enjoy as an adult watching the salmon transit and your kids should really like it. It is free and very easy to visit if you are in the Ballard area for other reasons (you can access the viewing windows from either side of the canal).

Great posts! Very helpful, thanks all.

Stayed at AirB&B place south of the city, so can’t help there, sorry. And not quite what you had specifically asked, Andrew, but the EMP is also well-built for kids–at least the 7 and 5 yr old.

My own trip, my absolute must-do was the Chihuly gallery and gardens. I had super-sky-high expectations. They were exceeded. I drowned myself there in blissful viewing for 3 hours. Utterly incredible and mindblowing

Have fun!

Mike

• 1 - My wife insisted we go and I was thinking “it’s blown glass, how cool could it be”. I could not have been more wrong.

completely agree on the ferry idea, stupid to pay for a boat.

agree on the Chihuly plus I’d add the Pacific Science Center, close by is great for the kids.

I also never miss a trip to Taylor Shellfish. They have one close to the Chihuly and Science center.

Ride the monorail from there to Westlake and walk to Pike’s Place Market.

Looking to order the City Pass which comes with some sort of harbor cruise. Either way, seems to be a good deal on the attractions.