Visiting Portland Oregon

Heading to Portland Oregon for the 1st time July 11-15th. Looking to spend 1 day in the wine country and 1 day driving/picknic at Royal Gorge with the rest of the time discovering Portland. Any suggestions for 3 wineries to visit for 1 day? Any hotel recommendations? We want nice but for us a hotel is a place to sleep and we will be out most of the day and evenings. Something downtown close to the action would be nice.

Thanks in advance?
Robert

A popular topic, search will bring up numerous threads.

As noted, there are lots of threads.

Hotels … since I am a Hilton guy, that is the only place I stay. They are generally fine downtown.

Stuff is a bit spread out but any easy option for 3 wineries is to just head to Mcminnville.

Set up time with Marcus Goodfellow @ Matello/Goodfellow (I think Love & Squealer is there too)

Eyrie - set up an appointment

Westrey - set up an appointment

Remy - Tasting room

Heater Allen - set up an appointment and drink a beer

Then set up an appointment with Todd Hamina @ Biggio Hamina

For food, eat at the Valley Commissary (next to Matello)

Report back!

Cheeers,

Jason

Thanks for the replies. This really helps.

If I just had one day in wine country, I’d go with Jason’s suggestion to stick to McMinnville. Matello/Goodfellow was one of the highlights of my recent trip, as was lunch at Valley Commissary. Got coffee at Flag and Wire across the street. The Eyrie tasting room always has something from the library open to taste.

The Ransom tasting room downtown is nice if you’re into spirits (gin and whiskey). For dinner and cocktails, Recipe is fantastic, although they just had a fire and may not be open. Pura Vida is another good choice.

I usually Airbnb when I travel. We loved the Portland Eco Cottage in the Ladd’s Addition neighborhood. Lots of fun stuff within walking distance, including the Teutonic tasting room.

You’ve gotten some great suggestions for McMinnville :wink:

Here’s a few under the radar options for Portland:

Food-Smallwares, Biwa, Kachka, Davenport, Bar Accanto, Taqueria Nueve, Little Bird, and Ken’s Artisan Pizza(killer little wine list here). There are so any options though.

Coffee: Coava is a must.

Cocktails: Ex Patriot, Pepe le Moko, Clyde Common

It’s a great city

Thanks for the great suggestions Mandy and Marcus.

Brooks Winery was a really fun visit

We’re in Portland this week visiting our son.

We had a great day on Sunday when we tasted with Todd at Biggio Hamina, ate an excellent lunch at the Village Commissary and then tasted with Marcus next door at Goodfellow/Matello. Highly recommend this itinerary.

Thursday we’ll be going to Patricia Green in the morning and then to Soter in the afternoon.

That is what I am doing next Wed. I have added Eyrie to the list as well.

Had another excellent dinner at Little Bird last night. Best charcuterie board ever.

I enjoyed very much visiting Domaine Drouhin.

Also, something I don’t know much about but am very curious about and that I would look into the next time I am in Oregon. Jadot apparently is establishing operations there with Jacques Lardiere (their long term and legendary (and now retired from winemaking in Burgundy) winemaker involved in the operations.

If it is possible to visit there yet, that would seem fascinating.