Naples and Almafi Coast

Hello All,
My wife and I heading to Naples and Almafi Coast for four days.

We need recommendations for hotels and restaurants. For me any wineries worth visiting.

Also, any good wine stores? I will be searching for wine shippers as well.

Thank you in advance.

Lots of good advice on here. Search Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento and you will find lots of info. It is our favorite place in the world. Enjoy it.

I know I have posted many times on this subject. It is hard to recommend without a budget. For example Ravello is wonderful but expensive. We rented a villa right on the ocean in Praiano. That worked out really well. Driving is “fun”

George

Hotel Caruso in Ravello. Expensive but absolutely worth it.

When are you going? And what type of accommodations/towns (big/small, seaside, hotel/B&B, etc.) do you like?

Piling on by recommending Ravello. Include that in your search on this forum.

we stayed in Positano for a few days, and spent 1 day in Ravello (took boat and bus). Loved the Amalfi Coast and Capri.

And not sure when you are going, and from where, but Meridiana flies nonstop to/from JFK on certain days and certain times of the year. Only airline who does (if I recall).

Maybe my favorite place on earth. Another vote for Ravello – Palazzo Avino or Caruso. Sitting in the square at night with the locals, drinking grappa etc. is just about perfect. But really, you can’t go wrong staying anywhere. Positano is awesome, and I have a soft spot for the more bustling Amalfi too. I’ve never stayed on Capri, but I’ve heard raves from those who have – apparently it becomes lovely at night when the tourists leave.

My strongest recommendation is to rent a boat for a day, or at least a half day. We rented a little power boat from a place on the beach in Positano and tooled around to the Sireneuse islands, up and down the coast, etc., – dropping anchor, swimming in coves, etc. One of my absolute travel highlights from anywhere.

We rented a boat too for a few hours in Positano. Was great. Town was a bit touristy during the day but a different feel at night. Same with Capri-was there for 3 nights or so. Definitely a great place on earth.

We took a boat to Capri for the day. Lots of tourists, not pleasant. We took a cab to the Capri Palace Hotel on top of the island. 5 Michelin red towers and two star restaurant which is not open for lunch. We had a delightful relaxing lunch at the pool overlooking the island.
If you are a pizza lover then go to da Michele in Naples. Michelin one star. Take a cab, do not drive. We waited an hour to be seated. Only two kinds of pizza - Margherita and Marinara. Both wet. Three sizes 4e, 4.5 e and 5e. No other dishes or salads. Coke, no diet coke, water and beer. No wine. Thin crust and the dough is not as dense as we find in the US. We had hired a driver to take us from Positano, about an hours drive. On the way back after a half hour I was still experiencing the pleasant after taste of the tomato sauce.

If you do go to Capri, and it’s swimming weather, try to make it out to the area by the lighthouse. Unique experience. Lots of locals jumping off rocks and cliffs (and maybe some daring tourists too-like me-but just the rocks).

Agree re the boat tour. We did one along the coast seeing the various caves and hidden inlets/villages - one in particular is amazing. We also did one to Capri and back which was great.

And if you stay in/near Positano, I highly recommend Il Ritrovo" in Montepertuso (town up above Positano)

Thinking of a December trip, Rome then Naples for Christmas. May have 5-6 days open after that and am curious if the Amalfi coast could be shuttered, perhaps pushing into Puglia is a better idea? TIA.

The ferries, one of the easiest ways there, will be shut down.

I’ll have a rental car.

Get the extra insurance. [snort.gif]

I was actually recommending renting your own boat and driving yourself – but I’m sure the tours are spectacular too.

Maybe I’m a wuss, but I would not want to spend my vacation in Amalfi driving around, especially at night. Those roads are no joke. The ferries, especially the fast ones, are super easy and fun in their own right.

You can go from town to town by ferry, consider that.

There is a decent Best Western on Capri; day trips are mech; overnight on Capri is magical. My favorite spot on the coast.

Not the Amalfi coast but Amalfi-adjacent is Salerno. We stayed there to see the ruins st Paestim (some of the best Greek ruins anywhere) but wound up living the town. Half the price of the Amalfi Coast proper (but no sea views)

I think it’s bad weather, rainy and cold. It’s seasonal for a reason. We thought about Positano for a March honeymoon but the climate isn’t good then and few hotels are open.