Rental Cars?

I need to rent a car at SFO for 5 days and my head is spinning from all the search results, offers, coupon codes etc.! Not to mention sticker shock from the cost of even a crappy economy car!

I prefer to rent from an on site rental car company (vs Sixt where I would have to take 2 shuttles), preferably one that has online check-in and I can simply walk to my car without waiting on a line at a kiosk. Just looking to be efficient timewise, as I will be getting off a long transcontinental flight and embarking on a 2+ hour car ride.

Any suggestions for where/how to get the best deals? I searched some of the discount sites, but they don’t seem to give a lot of information on the type of car I am getting (eg, “specialty” car). And every rental car company seems to have offer codes and coupons, but it’s very difficult to compare and figure out what whether I am actually even getting a discount.

Hoping someone who travels a lot can help guide me. Thank you in advance!

AutoSlash

I have Corp rates with Avis, but then I use Autoslash to be sure I have the best rates. If rates go down, they will let you know.

Speaking of http://www.autoslash.com (discussed previously on Berserkers), they sometimes assign Payless at SFO. While the rate is good, it’s located off airport. You can e mail Autoslash and request an on airport vendor.

Here’s the thread. sweet Hertz pricing Christmas period - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

I did look at autoslash, but the only company it showed was Sixt, which is apparently a hassle to pick up and drop off, requiring a double shuttle to the Westin hotel. Terrible yelp and other reviews.

FYI.

Costco

Consistently cheaper for me at SFO (a few data points)

Try rentalcars.com. They offer cars from all vendors, and discounts are good.

priceline

Thank you. This resulted in the best rate - by far (including Costco, USAA and rentalcars.com).

Whatever company you end up with be sure you join the rewards program and get that number on your reservation so you can go right to your car. Otherwise the wait can be awful (I’ve seen 2 hours at hertz SFO)

If she uses Autoslash, that may affect the rate. Always a good idea to doublecheck.

I could spend hours looking for a slightly lower rate or I could use Costco. I use Costco and I also have American Express Premium Car Rental Protection. Extremely reasonable flat rate. Good in all but 5 countries. Pay when you rent and it is primary not secondary coverage.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

Michael - I did check Costco and they were MUCH more expensive than the other sites. Not even close.

Bump worthy.

My 2 day rate in FLL in February dropped 50% using Autoslash. flirtysmile

what are your dates?

Have any of you tried Silvercar? Had a pretty great experience in LA using them. They aren’t at every airport and they are offsite. But they pick you up and drop you back off.

We used Silvercar in LA a couple years ago…liked the simple fee structure and was a good experience.

Does Auto slash work in Europe?

Thanks.

Marshall

Just for fun, I entered FCO (Rome) into their website, and a rate popped up.