Beach Vacation

We have two young kids (10 months and 2 years, 10 months) and are looking to take a 3 or 4 night beach or other warm-weather vacation in the next month or two. Criteria are: (1) warm; (2) direct flight from Houston of less than 4 hours–i.e., no Hawaii; (3) enough room for the kids; (4) as nice of a resort as possible; and (5) not outrageously expensive (probably willing to pay up to $1,000-1,250/night absolute max, preferably much lower). Our first thought was places like the Breakers, One & Only Palmilla, Montage resorts, Ritz Naples etc. – which we’ve enjoyed as a couple – but to get a suite to make it comfortable with the kids gets you quickly to the $1,500-2,500 range, which is too painful. (I lean against San Diego because we go there semi-regularly.)

Any places y’all can recommend? We are looking for a luxe resort that tolerates children more than a “kid friendly” all-inclusive type place. We are also looking into rentals although that’s a bit hit or miss so I’d appreciate recommendations in that regard as well.

Thanks in advance.

Everyone has a different idea of what a perfect beach vacation involves but it shocks me that the Breakers is on the list for anyone. My annual firm retreat is there every two years, so I have seen all it has to offer. Not impressed at all. There really is no beach to speak of and although there are a lot of places on property and nearby to spend money, the allure of the place escapes me. .

Ryan, I’m a big Breakers fan. Been going there every year since 1992, so totally disagree with Neal. It’s the perfect luxury vacation with everything for adults and kids. Season rates start dropping around May, I think. I’m also a big fan of the Boca Resort, another historic Mizner era property. A beautiful resort with many venues, including golf villas that are more affordable.

The Don Cesar in St Pete is on a killer stretch of white sand beach. Not as upscale as Breakers or Boca Resort, but an historic propery. Tons to do in St Pete for adults and kids. Close to Bern’s!

Ritz Key Biscayne is also a killer property.

See? I said no one in their right mind could love the place and Alfert proved me right. I bet at low tide Alfert could actually lay down on the beach, with hi head on the seawall and his toes in the surf.

I’ve never been but some friends rave about Playa Del Carmen about an hour south of Cancun. They went with their kids and had a fantastic time.

Lol. What do you expect from a poor country lawyer from the sticks of Orlando?

Dude, Palm Beach is awesome. Worth Ave. Boating. Scuba. Paddleboarding. Biking. Walking trails along the river. Billionaire Row. Trump. Well, delete the last point.

Here is another thought: Vero Beach. Look up the Vero Beach resort. Small but luxurious beach town. I grew up here and go back 5-6 times per year. Headed there next weekend. Quaint. Oh, and it’s Polo season right now.

Fly into Orlando and Vero is about 1:20 away.

Seriously,this is what I meant when I said that everyone has a perfect beach vacation in mind, and they can be very different things. I like to bike and would be willing to try the scuba thing, but nothing else Robert mentions has any appeal to me. My beach vacation is me and WIDE soft sand beaches, some books, and very few people. Dolphins are ok, but no people. Alfert and his herringbone shirts on Worth Ave? Reason to stay very, very far away.

The Palm Beach babes are calling you, Neal, come on down!

And bring your linen shorts and Sperrys…

Remember Ryan, Neal was a hippie growing up! You said luxe, he wants Bermuda! :wink:

Gulf Shores, AL.

Actually, quite close to a very good idea. Ryan, fly into the new Panama City Beach airport. Stay at Rosemary Beach or Seaside. You will not be disappointed. I think Neal would even like these venues.

Hilton Los Cabos

Ritz Carlton Laguna Nigel.

There is an airport there now?

There has always been an airport in Panama City but they recently got a new one.

We used to take the kids to Kiawah Island when they were your kids ages.

Charleston has a very nice aquarium and some very good restaurants.

Kiawah has something for everyone. Beach, pools, golf, tennis, camp for the kids if you need a break, lots of nature related things, and an extensive network of bike paths.

Was there last year…very nice.

Would also suggest Ritz at Amelia Island…short drive from JAX.

Great recommendation. Isles of Palms is quite nice too. Both 20-30 minutes into the City.

Another thought, and another Mizner resort, is Sea Island, GA:

Great kids club.

I’m a big fan of Club med. It’s all inclusive and as kid friendly as a resort can get. There’s a good one at Ixtapa and a few on Caribbean (and 1 in Florida) - prices are reasonable.