Bayreuth, Bavaria, Nuremberg - Recommendations

We will be in Bayreuth for the Ring Cycle in August (first time). We are thinking of doing a day-trip to Nuremberg during the week we are in Bayreuth, and then spending 2-4 days driving through Bavaria. (Unfortunately, we won’t be able to extend this much beyond 4 days.) This is our first time in Bavaria, so recommendations would really be appreciated.

What are the must-sees for the days we have in Bavaria? We are interested in the sights, history, beautiful countryside/drives, and historic/authentic towns/villages. Should we pick one place in Bavaria as a home-base, and then do day trips? Recommendations for all or any of the above would be much appreciated.

Local/authentic food recommendations also very much appreciated.

So far we only have some of the basic sights in Nuremberg staked out, a reservation at Heilig Geist Spital in Nuremberg, and Neuschwanstein castle in Bavaria on the list.

Thanks much!

Theo

I would recommend both Bamberg and Rothenberg. Bamberg has a great city center with a notable cathedral and excellent beer. Rothenberg is a very well preserved older city that is very cool.

Bamberg is an excellent suggestion. One of the oldest pubs in Germany is there, wish I could remember the name. Rothenberg is a bit far to go, particularly if you’re also heading down to Neuschwanstein. I would choose Neuschwanstein over Rothenberg, myself. Once you’re that far south, just driving around the countryside and any villages you go through is wonderful.

Aecht Schlenkerla perhaps? We tried to get a table there in last August but the place was packed. We liked Bamberg overall though, the beer was obviously great and there are lots of nice things to wonder at, most famously the Altes Rathaus.

Actually, Rothenberg would be on the way to Neuschwanstein. Drive to Bamburg, From Bamburg, take Highway 505 to Hochstadt, and then Highway 470 to A7 Autobahn, just south of Rothenberg. Rothenberg is right by the A7, that will take you directly to the area of Neuschwanstein. Even if you took the most direct route from Bayreuth (A9 to A6 to A7), the junction of A6 and A7 is only about 10km south of Rothenberg.

Oops, did I map the wrong Rothenberg? Have been there a couple of times, but it’s been many years. Yep, my apologies. You’re right, Rothenberg ob der Tauber is not far out of the way. In that case, worth a stop, or part of a day trip.

Visit some of the monasteries. Especially if you like rococo chapels. Kloster Andechs has a very nice bier garten and some fabulous old-style beers. A nice afternoon stop.

Agree re Bamberg. Wurzburg is also worth considering.

Thanks all for these great suggestions. I will see what we can incorporate into our trip! Please keep them coming!

Is Munich a must-see, given our limited time, or should we just stay focused on the locations listed above in Bavaria, and see Munich another trip?

Thanks again.

Theo

Uhh… That’s a great question. Munich was great but I was there for Oktoberfest. Without it I’d say Munich is neutral at best.

I’m not sure how much time one needs to spend in Munich. Much of the town was destroyed during the war, and there isn’t much to see outside the Marienplatz area. I enjoyed Bamburg and Rothenberg more and thought that Wurzburg was as interesting and easier to navigate.

I assume you are talking about Rothenburg. Rotten burg is nice, but touristic. It is magical at night when the crowds disappear. Stay a night or two. Munich is a great big bustling capital city, wonderful in small doses. I wouldn’t spend more than a night or two enjoying a bit of the bierhall culture. Neuschwanstein is way down on the Austrian border. Heck, if you are going that far south, go to Bolzano, Italy.