Florence and Venice

Going to these places at the end of the month, did my search and copy pasted a lot from old WB threads but wanted to get any updated info and maybe some targeted questions might make things more specific. Will be staying around 5-6 days per place.

Details - already have places to stay both in the centers of both cities, would like to know / get suggestions on the following.

1. Restaurants in both cities and nearby (30 minutes drive?) - any website , address info would be appreciated.
  2. Day trip cities near both cities, maximum drive maybe 90 minutes one way? Maybe 2 hours max. If there is a restaurant, winery, shopping area in/near the town, please mention. I often saw Sienna as a recommendation in the old threads for example.
  3. Wineries - can be part of item# 2 above.
  4. Shopping areas, in the cities and nearby towns. Particularly leather goods and clothes.

Already got the museums, buildings and must sees covered, so looking for more info that is not on the guide books, more local and less touristy.

Thanks!

Sienna -
http://www.casato-siena.it/

Florence -

From Venice take a train to explore - all great towns and one hour away
Padua
Vicenza
Verona

Had a great meal here in Venice.

http://www.ilridotto.com/02_homepage_ENG.htm

Very small place so reservations can be difficult. They are very nice and easy to make via email.

George

Venice:
Among the bigger names I really enjoy Da Fiore in Venice (dafiore.net - Informationen zum Thema dafiore.) just be sure if you go to make sure you use Google Maps to find it :slight_smile:

Among smaller places, I really enjoyed my dinner at Osteria Antico Giardinetto (http://www.anticogiardinetto.it/). In general I think the smaller, mid-priced family restaurants are the way to go. While I wouldn’t miss Da Fiore, I get more enjoyment from the simpler places than from polished ones line Hotel Danieli’s restaurant.

Venice is pretty small - 5-6 days is lot of time so enjoy!

Shopping in Venice is mostly tourist type stores. You see the same leather goods spread over most of the shops. The center core of Venice is a tourist hell and maze. Enjoyable for a bit, but you might want to explore other parts of the island to get away from the crowds. There is a small town where the locals live on the far side of the island. If anything, it is peaceful. There is also a shop where the gondolas are built. We never found it, but it sounded intriguing.
Florence seemed more “real” than Venice. A true working town and thus has more to offer. There is a local marketplace with all kinds of vendors. We saw some decent leather deals there. There are also more locally owned stores with unique items.
If you are in Florence, you should take the time to go to Siena, Chianti and the hill towns that dot the area. They are worth the effort. Siena especially is a charming, moderate size city that is a nice change of pace from Venice and Florence.

In Florence, we really enjoyed dinner at Borgo San Jacopo, which is inside Hotel Lungarno, on the other side of the river. If the weather is nice, see if you can get a spot on the balcony. Only two tables, literally over the river.

In Venice, Osteria alle Testiere is a small place where you really feel like they went to the market today to decide what they were going to cook for you tonight. Reservations absolutely a must. Kind of down a dark alley, so you might want to scout out where it is in advance.

Has anyone been Da Fiore’s other place, Refolo? http://www.rist-refolo.it/

Garga and Mario’s in Florence. Lunch at Mario’s, right by the Mercato Centrale, and then visit all the leather vendors. Garga has terrific food in a very hip setting. You need to get to Mario’s early, as it is small, or expect to wait. Fun and inexpensive food.

In Venice, we enjoyed an excellent dinner at Ristorante Raffaele next to a canal, close to, bit not too close to, San Marco.

We had a great lunch at Osteria Enoteca San Marco. Very good wine list there, too.

Thanks for all the info so far, question on corkage. Does it exist in Italy? Is it common to BYOB? Any protocols that I should be aware of?

\

• J

Go for a bite and a glass of wine at the Enoteca Pitti Gola right opposite the entrance to the Pitti Palace in Florence - I thought for sure based on location it would be a tourist trap, but 3 really great young wine nerd run the place, very interesting and well thought out wine selections and solid food. Night time is better when the crush of tourists has subsided. Another vote for Borgo san Jacapo for dinner - wonderful meal.

Be sure to grab a sandwich at Da Nerbone in the central market. The house specialty is lampredotto (fourth cow’s stomach), but my favorite is their porchetta.

Lots of leather shops in Florence. I had great luck at Casini Firenze across from the Pitti Palace.

In the three years I lived in Rome, I took the train almost every weekend to Venice, but only during late autumn and winter. This is the time when tourism is down significantly, and a time when the locals reclaim the city. Venice as it truly is is best experienced during this period. Late March is fine, but tourism starts picking up at this time, and you may glimpse what the city must be like in late spring and summer.

I second the suggestion above regarding Alle Testiere. A great restaurant serving fish and seafood only. One wonders how it is possible for the chef to turn out such wonderful food working in a kitchen the size of a closet. Do not be surprised if you find some dishes lightly seasoned with ginger and cinnamon, flavors not normally associated with Italy. The waiter will remind you, however, that Venice once was a great seafaring power, and brought back spices from the East that were gradually incorporated into the local cuisine.

It used to be that Enoteca Ai Artisti was one of the best kept secrets among those who knew Venice, and certainly by the people who lived in the Dorsoduro section of Venice, which is where the Enoteca is located. I hear it has been discovered, and now there are throngs of people who fill the place day and night. However, you may want to venture there anyway since the Peggy Guggenheim Museum and the Galleria dell’Accademia are both located in the Dorsoduro. The Enoteca Ai Artisti serves honest cooking executed with real skill by the chef. And as the name indicates, it is a place to drink wine by the glass or by the bottle. The selection is admirable.

Also in the Dorsoduro, is the estimable Cantinone Gia Schiavi. It is a wine bar that serves a good selection of cichetti (think tapas). It is a convivial place, popular with the locals. During the evenings, even in late autumn, the crowd spills out onto the canal. Here the wine flows freely, the delicious cichetti consumed in great quantities, and the conversation so animated that one can only return time and again. The Cantinone also doubles as a wine shop, and here you will find a dizzying selection.

Venice remains one of the great beauties in the world, owing in part, paradoxically, to its decay. Wake up early, and go to the Piazza San Marco when the sun is beginning its ascent. Go when the only denizens are the pigeons and perhaps an old fellow sweeping the square. Stand in the middle of the piazza and you will be struck at how magnificently beautiful this place is. It will take your breath away. And if you should ever be so lucky, you will stand here when a light snow is falling. You will be haunted by this memory for all time.

GREAT info, Peter. I am pretty sure I have eaten at Enoteca Ai Artisti, and had the devil of a time finding my way “home” afterwards, but the meal was fantastic, and fantastically memorable.

Indeed, the Enoteca Ai Artisti is located in that part of the Dorsoduro that is “hidden” in a maze of streets and canals. Definitely far from the tourist center.

This reminds me of a funny story.
I was in Cefalu, Sicily two years ago, and traveling with some friends. On our way to find a restaurant, we stopped and purchased four bottles of wine from an enoteca. At the restaurant, the wine list was weak. I wanted to see if the restaurant would allow me to open the wine I had just bought. Our waiter did not speak English and I had no idea to translate “corkage” into Italian.
I pulled out one of the bottles of wine, showed it to the waiter, and in my limited knowledge of Italian, asked: “Is it possible for me to taste the wine?”
The waiter looked at me quizzically.
Then, trying a new tactic, I stated in Italian “I want to drink the wine.”
He shook his head, pulled out a corkscrew, popped the cork and set the wine on the table with a look and a shake of the head that said: “Of course you can drink the wine if you want to drink the wine.”

There was no corkage charge. The impression I had was that every meal should have wine, whether you buy it from us or bring it in yourself.

In Venice - I recommend Antica Carbonera.

San Marco (Calle Benbo), 4648, 30124, Venezia
Tel. 0415225479
info@anticacarbonera.it
http://www.anticacarbonera.it

Wonderful service and excellent food. Old world charm. Lots of business people eating here during lunch. It is down a narrow street north of Saint Marks and the Rialto bridge.

Another vote for Alle Testiere in Venice.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Might be a silly question but is it preferable to do a rail pass and go around the towns near Florence by train, or is renting a car and driving much better. I have read old posts in the travel forum here ab WB, and I get a sense that people mostly drive? Is that correct? I am asking because I heard that there is a cheaper rail pass that foreigners can purchase here in the US, but our only long train trip is between Venice and Florence, and its one way as we fly into Venice, fly out of Florence. TIA.

\

• j

If you rent a car, be warned that the parking near Venice is pricey.
If you do rent a car to drive from Firenze to Venezia, I recommend a day trip to Padova. St. Anthony’s cathedral is wonderful as is the Scrovegni chapel with wonderful fresco by Giotto.