Santa Fe recommendations?

I’ll be in Santa Fe this summer with a few days for sightseeing. I’ve been told there are some beautiful drives to the north of the city.

any recs for sightseeing or restaurants would be appreciated. Thank you!

Search function returns Santa Rosa, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa Ynez…

Try the food forum. Many people, me included, put restaurant threads in there since travel for one person might be home for another/ But restaurants are definitely food. :slight_smile:

The drive up to and a visit to Taos is always fun. We like to take the high road High Road To Taos | Scenic Byway & Santuario de Chimayo

Jay; If you have the time try this…http://cumbrestoltec.com

In addition, as Sarah mentioned, try the food forum. I have posted there many times. Also, when you get a chance drop me a PM with your interests.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

There are definitely a lot of opportunities to go on scenic drives. How late does your “summer” go? If it makes it too September, the Wine & Chile Fiesta is awesome. I would start with the above thread for food.

Sightseeing: Loretto Chapel, Bandelier, Chaco Canyon; there’s a good number of historic buildings downtown. If you like driving, I would recommend “Rancho de Chimayo”, a restaurant just off the high road to Taos (it’s about 35 minutes from Santa Fe). You will pass at least one winery on the way as well.

Thanks everyone. I’ll probably be there either mid-July or mid-August. Plans are still being finalized.

I’ll post in EE later, I’m more looking for drives/side trips for scheduling purposes. I can slot “dinner at X” into my plans without having to define X just yet.

Thanks Marshall! That looks great, though the 2 hour drive to and from Chama might end up not working out.

It is a beautiful ride but it is an all day excursion. Definitely worth it if you have sufficient time.

Let me know if you would like some more food and shopping ideas.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

There should be an offline in here somewhere!

Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

The high road to Taos is a good drive. The other good news is that theclimate is nice that time of year, not hot like Albuquerque or insanely hot like Phoenix. Some decent wine shops too. Pretty fun town to walk around.

I was there once in the summer about 15? years ago and remember liking both the city and the weather. Enough so that it’s on my list of possible retirement destinations.

This will be a trip with college friends but I’m also scouting it out to bring Arnold on a trip some time later to see how he likes it.

I hear that winters can be tough though.

Going in mid April. How is the drive then?

Randy,
The high road to Taos will be great in April, just windy. Be sure to stop for lunch at Rancho de Chimayo.
A

Agree with Alex’s comments above. Wonderful site and easy back and forth ride that can be enjoyed in less than a full day: Bandelier National Monument. Chimayo also is great.

Cheers,
Andrew

Jay: If you don’t want to drive far you might try the Tesuque Glassworks and Shidoni Bronze galleries. They share a location that is only a few minutes north of town on Bishop’s Lodge Road.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Lots of fun re-reading this and other Santa Fe threads. I am/was particularly interested in some of the comments about newer restaurants as we will be there the very end of July into very early August. Anyone have any more info on some of the newer spots? [thankyou.gif] One place I will sorely miss is the Tecolote Cafe…they closed about a year ago and I do not know if they found a new location.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Marshall

Arroyo Vino

BTW, it’s looking like I might not be joining my friends in Santa Fe after all. Our dog is going to give birth some time this week and I’m not sure I feel comfortable going away before the puppy is weaned given that Arnold works 12 hour days.

Reopened on St. Michael’s Drive last week. already went there.