Pittsburgh: Hotels and restaurants?

Looking for a nice hotel near Shadyside or Pitt.

Also, and more importantly looking for suggestions for a restaurant to celebrate my Mom’s 80th. Location probably does not matter. I left the burg in my rear-view mirror more than 30 years ago, so what are the best (not necessarily the most expensive, but the best) restaurants in town?

Oh, and is BYOB allowed in PA?

Jeff - I’m with you, been back sparingly and only for sporting events [bow.gif] .

Get a primantis pastrami sandwich for me.

BYOB in PA??? Yes indeed!

I worked at the family fish business, in the produce yards, every summer from when I was 8 until I graduated college and ate lunch at Primanti’s at least two days a week, so I probably have had my lifetime fill of those sandwiches. But I should probably take my daughter there, just to see the look on her face.

Our daughter just started at Pitt this fall. I don’t know about recommending hotels, I haven’t found one I’d “recommend”. The Holiday Inn on the Pitt campus is very convenient and not bad. The Marriot in Oakland/Schenley Park has some good suite options. The Marriot in Shadyside is fine if nondescript. Haven’t tried the Wyndham in Oakland yet.

I like Soba in Shadyside for a restaurant option. I’ve been there a couple of times. Interesting wine list. Good food. Outside dining option if the weather is favorable.

[quote=“Jeff Twersky”][ so I probably have had my lifetime fill of those sandwiches. quote]

You mean you had a bite once. [suicide.gif]

I honestly don’t know why people also mention the “P” word whenever Pittsburgh comes up. Not only does no one go there but there is actually a lot of good food and restaurants here. Not just the crappy sandwiches that they serve. People who talk about things like Primantis gives the city an undeserved bad food reputation. [soap.gif]

As far as hotels, I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on Pitt Campus and it is nice. Our wine Group meets there as well. The Wyndam Gardens is on Campus as well and seems nice, but I’d go with the Holiday Inn.

Restaurants? There are a number depending on what you are looking for. Bona Tera is one of the best in town right now and is not the mosty expensive by any stretch. It is BYOB. I also like Alla Famiglia for a family-style meal (also BYOB) and it is an under-the-radar place.

Contact me if you have other questions. and anyone who is in town and wants to have dinner, please let me know. [whistle.gif]

jeff:
I totally forgot about the new Courtyard by Marriot that is right across the street from Shadyside Hospital. It is only a few yers old. I have not been inside but it looks very nice.
If you stay at the HOliday Inn Oakland, you are within walking distance to some great places for a beer and a sandwich, such as the Fuel and Fuddle, so that would still be where I would go.

Also, I would reocmmend that anyone who has quesitons about Pittsburgh contact me directly and not bother posting a message. I am more or less the only local person posting on these BB’s, so you’re best off just contacting me directly.

Well, hard to take advice from a Cleveland guy on the Burgh - of course you loathe all the fun stuff! neener

No one said Primantis is fine dining - it’s Pittsburgh’s In and Out Burger if you will, only much better.

Sure some of the sandwiches are lousy (the steak n cheese) but the pastrami is to die for, if you like pastrami.

See my post re: the Shadyside Marriot.

Bob, I can’t pm you. Have question about Bona Terra and Alla Famiglia. We are coming up for the Parents weekend at Pitt Oct. 23/24 and our daughter wants us to take her and some friends out to dinner. BYO would be best, but not essential.

Bona Terra looks assume. Not going to make it there, however, at least not this trip.

Shadyside Inn — sort of furnished apartments with free parking - walking distance to either Pitt or CMU.
The Wyndham has seen much better days.
Also - there is a very nice new Courtyard at the Waterfront which is fairly convenient to Oakland and nicer than the other two.
We sometimes stay at the Residence Inn in Oakland. But that also needs a refurb.

If you want to spend a bit more - Sunnyledge Inn ---- http://www.sunnyledge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sort of B&B with a good restaurant.

Here is a nice place to eat nearby — Enricos Shadyside. http://www.enricos-shadyside.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. I looked at the Sunnyledge, buit no rooms at the inn. It is maybe a half mile from my parents’ house, so it would have been great.

Enricos is a bit of an unknown, but I have been there twice, and it is a solid place. No problems there.

Why not stay downtown? There is so much more going on there then in Shadyside.

A very nice hotel for a good price is the Renaissance. Just across the bridge from the stadiums. It’s a beautiful old building converted to a hotel. I think your mom would like it. If it’s not available try the Marriott Courtyard or the Westin.

The restaurant at the Westin is nice (seafood) as is the one at the Courtyard (Sonoma Grill). You also have a bunch of decent places on Mt Washington that have a great view.

if you like authentic Chinese food (not the American version of chinese food) than a small place in the North Hills is fantastic: China Star. In a town that generally is pretty poor in Asian cuisine, this place would be a standout anywhere.