Zermatt to Strasbourg - any suggestions?

My wife might have mentioned that we’ll be taking a trip to Europe next summer. :wink: After a week of wine-tasting in Burgundy and the Rhone, we’re going to de-toxify for a few days by driving through the Alps. We’re spending a night in Zermatt, Switzerland, and the following evening we’re staying in Strasbourg, France.

I’ve looked on maps and there are a ton of routes between the two - the most direct (which might also be awesome, I just don’t know) is about 450 km and goes pretty much straight north through Bern and Basel.

Anyone know of any don’t-miss sights along this route? We enjoy road trips, so any alternate suggestions for routes in eastern France or Switzerland most welcome.

Sights? Sorry, Steve, I’m only useful for restaurants and wine…

… and bravo for that! [cheers.gif]

Unfortunately, Noel, I don’t think Switzerland is particularly renowned for either food or wine. I imagine, however, that we will be working off an alcoholic and caloric overload by that time, so I’m pretty sure we can survive for one day of sightseeing.

Actually… it kind of is. Lots of great restaurants with great wine lists.

But anyway, back to your question: in the Swiss part I would definitely keep to the highways since it’s pretty mountaineous and therefore anything else than the straight road is going to set you back quite a few hours. I would head as fast as I can to Colmar in Southern Alsace, it’s a nice relatively small town with a lot of charm, with welcoming pedestrian streets and great typical architecture. Plus some typical restaurants too. And if you have an hour or two to spare you can even go for a drive (and a walk) in the nearby vineyards, before taking the highway again to Strasbourg.

Thanks, Guillaume. Glad to see you here!

Guillaume,
Thanks so much for this response. I was unfamiliar with Colmar, but it’s right on our planned route, so we’ll definitely follow your advice and make a stop there!

You’re welcome! And enjoy Colmar and the rest of France! [drinkers.gif]