Indianapolis?

Help! First time there. Where to eat? I’m open to any type food or ethnicity as long as it is very good. A decent wine program is a plus. I’m staying downtown. I think at a Marriott near the convention center.

Good luck!

Paging Pat Burton…

Thanks Ken. [cry.gif]

Really…there has to be someone who live there or has been.

St. Elmo’s Steakhouse in right there. Old school. I have found some good older wines at not totally awful prices. (eg '81 LMHB a few years ago.) The shrimp cocktail is legendary. They also have a nice bar area ideal for solo diners.

There are some nice places scattered around Indy and a couple good craft cocktail bars, but I don’t recall names at the moment. I can look it up if no one local chimes in.

The Indianapolis dining scene is a whole lot better than people think. St. Elmo’s is an Indy institution. Famous for their shrimp cocktails. One of the better lists in the city. I grew up with the owners. It isn’t what it once was but its very good. Libertine Liquor Bar is downtown and outstanding. Great cocktails and food.

If you want to get a cab its a short trip to Mass Ave.: R Bistro (James Beard semi-finalist) is a small place, tries to buy local, nice smaller but thought out wine list. Probably my favorite in the city. Bluebeard is fantastic, too. Only been a couple of times but both times were great. Same with Blackmarket (more of a bar) but great food, craft beer, cocktails and good wine list. Ball and Bisquit is a great bar with small plates. Mesh, though part of a chain, is very solid. There are other bars & restaurants on Mass Ave. that I haven’t been to.

A lot of people think that Recess is the best place in Indy. Its a drive or cab rid but its worth the trip. Check their website or call because they don’t have a menu-you get what they serve you and its always top notch. Oakley’s Bistro is another solid choice but another drive. PM me if you have any other questions. If Kent Zimmerman sees this he can chime in as he knows a lot of these people. Pizzology in Carmel has the best pizza in town. Though some Bazbeau (sp?) fans might argue that.

If you have free time Indy has a great zoo, too.

JD

When are you coming to Indy? Lived here all my life!! I work at the Speedway and if interested can show you around the track.

John Davis gave you some of the best restaurants in the area and I can’t think of anything much better.

I’ve had some really good meals at Dunaway’s also!

Forgot Dunaway’s…very solid.

Thanks guys. I have a business dinner at St. Elmo’s lined up. I have one other business dinner to set up and one that I’m on my own. I’ll check out the other recommendations.

JC, thanks for the offer but not sure I have the time. I arrive on 8th and leave early on the 11th.

I agree with John. Elmo’s is good for the experience, but there is better food to be had.

Bluebeard & Black Market are easy to get to where you’ll be. Neither take reservations, and Bluebeard can be quite a wait, particularly if the weather is nice–great terrace out front, and worth a trip if you can get there early, or have a few drinks while you wait.

RBistro takes reservations. Very consistent.

I’d have to say pass on Dunaways–way past it’s prime. The last times I’ve been there only about 1/3rd of the menu is available. They sold the entire wine list (used to be deep with old first growths and DRC). No idea what is left.

Recess is the best restaurant in the city. Fixed menu with pairings–usually very thoughtful and from the wine list–some very nice surprises sometimes. Room 4 is next door and a la carte. More burgers/tacos fare, but often with similar type dish you’d get at Recess. Recess takes reservations–I believe Room 4 does, too.

Late Harvest Kitchen on the Northside is popular–the chef just opened a new barbeque joint as well. I had a preview tasting menu and it is hands down the best barbeque I’ve had outside of KC/Memphis/Carolinas.

New Plow & Anchor downtown–open only a week. Former Bluebeard chef. Focusing on a raw bar theme–haven’t made it yet.

Pizzology just opened a Mass Ave downtown location, very good, and packed in the first week open. Owned/run by Libertine proprietors.

Good luck!

Sorry for the hijack as this is not about food but is the Slippery Noodle still worth a stop. I have some great memories of that place from the early 1990s and I see its still in business. Just wondering if its gone downhill after all these years. Use to be some good blues and a great setting.

To my knowledge the Slippery Noodle has not changed in decades. Still worth a stop.

JD

I am frequently in Indy on business and agree with all of the above. R Bistro is a gem. Menus change weekly and as much as they can get is locally sourced. Reasonably priced wines that would be fun for people on this board.

Patachou (multiple locations including at the airport) is a great place for breakfast. Their omelets and broken yolk breakfast sandwiches are quite good. WHen they ask what toast you want, get the cinnamon toast - you’ll thank me later.

St. Elmo’s wine prices have crept up in recent years but there are some deals if you are willing to dig through the tome. The cocktail sauce on the shrimp cocktail is a must try if you go there.

Thanks John. Good to hear. Now if I can just find time to get back there for a long weekend or something. I do see on the Noodle website that someone I went to high school with is playing there on 31 July. I have never seen Eric play live and I would love to do so at the Noodle but no way I make it in for a Thursday night show.