Chicago Hotels

Heading to Chicago in August for a long weekend to see the O’s play at Wrigley and looking for some recommendations for a relatively inexpensive Hotel somewhere near the Magnificent Mile/Gold Coast or thereabouts.

Also, from there, what would be the best way to get to Hot Doug’s? Happy to hear additional restaurant recs, particularly cheap, ethnic lunch spots, although I will search the archives as well. Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you consider “relatively” inexpensive. There are a lot of options. Avoid tha Marriott on Michigan regardless.

You get to Hot Doug’s by car from the Boul Mich. Or redline to Belmont bus to California and walk up 4 blocks.

Relatively inexpensive is <$200 per night for this trip, at least that is my assumption. Don’t need luxury, just clean, comfortable and convenient.

I like hotel Monaco and the related kimpton boutique hotels.

agree on kimpton

courtyard river north or mag mile
westin river north
radisson blue
aloft

This company has gotten me better rates than I have found on my own for hotels in New York and Chicago. No affiliation etc.
We stayed at the Palomar and the Sofitel in Chicago recently and enjoyed both.

We got the Intercontinental on Michigan for under $100 a night on Priceline in early May, it was one of their “Express Deals.” A really nice hotel in a killer location.

As for getting to Hot Doug’s, it seems the city has really latched onto Uber. Install the Uber app and take advantage of it. Outside the hotel there was a line of people waiting for a cab, but within minutes of requesting a ride a taxi pulled up and told the bellman “I’m here for Nolan.” Tip is included when you use the app so when you arrive just say thanks and jump out.

No big conventions in the city that weekend and it is pretty late in the summer so prices should be relatively reasonable. Keep in mind that there is a 16% tax in Chicago on hotel rooms so you will need to calculate that in to your price. Also parking a car at any hotel in Chicago will be $50-$70 per night and you won’t need a car in the city so don’t get one unless you have to. Plug your dates in to hotels.com and look at availability and costs and then book directly with the hotel. As long as you are in the River North, Magnificent mile area you will be fine.

George

We have Cubs-O’s tickets as well. We’re going that Saturday.

List some hotels you’re considering. May be easier to give feedback that way.

Agree with Kimpton hotels and Intercontinental. Whitehall and Seneca are two others off the top of my head.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Millennium Knickerbocker?

I can recommend the Kimpton Hotels, Conrad, and Sofitel, which are all on the Magnificent Mile and walking distance to Gold Coast. Easiest way to Hot Doug’s is Uber or cab, not very convenient for public transit. I highly recommend grabbing a meal in Pilsen/Little Mexico, which has great Mexican food and is probably one of the most distinctive ethnic neighborhoods in Chicago.

Years ago. Its fine. I don’t remember much being either good or bad. If the rates are good I would go back.

JD

Thanks everyone. The Kimpton properties came up recommended a few times, so I found Hotel Allegro for $142 a night for the long weekend. Looks like it will be just perfect, so thanks all for the advice. If anyone cares, let me know and i will post a review. I have tickets for the game on the 24th, so please let me know if anyone is interested in sharing a bottle/bite with the wife and I post game.

If anyone has a must eat/drink short list for Chicago, please give me your thoughts- very interested in trying one of the Bayless restaurants if the collective wisdom is that they are still really good. Open to any price point and any type of food so long as it is good. We are planning to do Hot Doug’s one day as well. Other than that, open book. Generally looking for cool, Chicago type cuisine as opposed to white table cloth fine dining, however. TIA

Sounds like a better deal on the hotel than I would have expected, though I assume you are aware that the Hotel Allegro is in the loop - of course not far from the Mag Mile/Gold Coast area but it is a 10-15 min walk ( or short cab ride) a handful of blocks east and a handful of blocks north.

There are many, many threads on Chicago restaurants. I really like Toplobabmpo. If you can secure reservations there I would do it. Frontera takes a few reservations per night but most people start lining up before opening. I would not stand in line. Mexique is also very good as is La Sirena Clandestina.

Tons of other places if you can be more specific.

George

Only one experience, but I found Frontera good, not great.

Ken,

If you have a free night, go to Old Town and see Second City.

+1 for Allegro, M. Knickerbocker is good as well. Enjoy! I love Chicago!