Visiting Willamette wine region in October

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
stewart lancaster

Visiting Willamette wine region in October

#1 Post by stewart lancaster » August 13th, 2019, 2:40 pm

I plan to visit the area October 24-26 with my wife, daughter, sister and her husband. We would like to get a house to rent for three nights. Where is the best area to stay?
I enjoy more new world style pinots. I like Coleen Clemens pinots and Chehalem
What wineries would you recommend to visit?

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Visiting Willamette wine region in October

#2 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 13th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Those producers are in/near Newberg. Shorter drive from Portland. New world style...and fairly close, consider Archery Summit, Domaine Serene, Adelsheim, Bergstrom, Penner-Ash, Sineann, probably White Rose. Also consider Longplay, Le Cadeau and JK Carriere. There are many dozens of options...but that should get you going and all fairly convenient to Newberg. You can spend a lot of time driving around unproductively. Best to clump visits near each other if possible.

RT

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Visiting Willamette wine region in October

#3 Post by Rick Allen » August 13th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Coleen Clemens is pretty much in the middle of no where. I'd visit Chehalem on the way out and stay in McMinnville. Just as close to plenty of new world-style producers - Ken Wright, R. Stuart, Domaine Obscene, Durant, Penner-Ash, Shea, etc. The Allison (Newberg) is probably the nicest place to stay, but it's really expensive and you're isolated (drive to dinner). McMinnville has the Atticus - probably the second nicest place to stay in wine country. It's really expensive too, but at least you have a multitude of restaurants and wine bars that you can walk to.

Probably easier to find a VRBO in McMinnville as well...

Return to “Travel Forum”