Di Costanzo Wines • Single Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignons

__****Happy Berserker Day!

Without question, the connections we made with the members of this community were one of the professional highs of the last year. 12 months ago, none of us had any clue what a roller coaster ride awaited us. But in just one crazy Berserker Day, we got to meet and make friends with so many of you, sharing our wine and starting conversations that would set us up for a year’s worth of new and meaningful connections. I have since met several of you for in person tastings here in St. Helena (when that was a thing), and many more over Zoom tastings from the comfort of your living rooms. Right when connecting with people from afar meant more than ever before, we found an amazing group of enthusiastic, passionate and knowledgeable wine lovers, who were speaking our language and were eager to hear our story. Thank you!

In brief, at Di Costanzo Wines our focus is tiny production, top-quality, single vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, made by our team of two: Erin and Massimo Di Costanzo. Our portfolio of wines showcases Cabernet’s savory, fresh and more restrained side. By working with established, heritage Cabernet vineyards in Napa and Sonoma’s cooler neighborhoods, we are able to marry California’s abundant sunshine and warmth with a classically, old-school spirit. We live in St. Helena with our two young boys, and are true partners in wine and in life.

DSCF4426 (2).jpg
This year, we can again share our DI CO Cabernet Sauvignon for Berserker Day. DI CO (dee-coh) is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Rafael Vineyard, where Mt. Veeder tumbles down into Oak Knoll, sourced from 35+ year old vines of amazing health. Rarely do you find single vineyard, Napa Valley, 100% Cabernets of this price and quality, which are made start to finish to be a fine wine (and not assembled together from purchased juice or small lots that didn’t make the cut for a reserve program). Massimo calls DI CO a “correctly made Cabernet”, intended to be collected and taken seriously. A decant is always appropriate, and some time in your cellar will serve it well. (That said, up until recently DI CO was again the Cab by the glass at The French Laundry, where it was poured nightly to a great response from happy diners, without years of cellaring first. I personally love drinking it now.)

DI CO wb post.jpg
And… SURPRISE! Two weeks in advance of our official release, we are thrilled to also offer our 2018 Di Costanzo Farella Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon and 2018 Di Costanzo Montecillo Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon TODAY, only to you Berserkers. These are our best reviewed vintages to date, from two of the most legendary and beloved vineyards in California. We’ve been so eager to share these wines, we are skipping you to the front of the line today. We share these amazing wines at list price, with discounted shipping. (pssst - if shipping a full case to the east coast, that’s a savings of over $52)

IMG_0176.JPG
DI CO, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2018
94 points Vinous • 93 points Wine Enthusiast
14.1% ABV, 30% new French oak, 549 cases
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Release price: $55 per bottle
BD12 price: $49 per bottle
Di Costanzo, Farella Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon, Coombsville 2018
97 points Vinous • 95 points Wine Enthusiast
14.5% ABV, 60% new French oak, 379 cases
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
$125 per bottle

Di Costanzo, Montecillo Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon, Moon Mountain 2018
96 points Vinous • 98 points Wine Enthusiast
14.3% ABV, 33% new French oak, 130 cases
100% Cabernet Sauvignon
$105 per bottle

• Minimum order 3 bottles, any combination of the above
• $10 ground shipping on 3-6 bottle orders
• $20 ground shipping on 7-12 bottle orders

Fine print: Di Costanzo can ship to most, but not all states. You can choose between UPS Ground, FedEx Ground (to most states) and GSO (CA). For this offer, no shipping to AL, AK, AR, HI, KY, MS & UT, sorry. State sales tax can apply. This shipping offer cannot be applied to purchases made any day other than today.

TO ORDER: click here www.mdcwines.com/account#login
If you’re already a registered member, enter credentials & LOGIN
If not, click “register for an account”, just under that yellow LOGIN button

Once inside, click Allocations. Shop away! At checkout, the magic begins. Click “add promotional codes” and enter HaveFun to receive the $49 price per bottle for DI CO. The Ground shipping price is already adjusted for today’s deal.

We’ll ship when the conditions are safest.

Thank you! And of course, please email me directly at erin@mdcwines.com with any and all questions.

Erin & Massimo
IMG_0025.PNG.jpg

3 Likes

Erin,

Are the Farella and Montecillo the release price for your upcoming release?

Erin my allocations only show dico, no farella or monticillo. Or is this only active tomorrow?

You still have DiCo left after my MIL got through with y’all?!?

same…

This is the preview only forum. They will open it up tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks guys!
Yes, we made a very late game time decision to give our amazing WB community access to the 18 Farella & 18 Montecillo for this event… that said, I am still perfecting the products on the site and finalizing the tasting notes. (I opened the wines last night at 5 PM… then tasted again at midnight before going to sleep… and will have another taste now at 10 AM PST… the lengths I go to for my job, I swear!! Ha!) Thank you for your kind patience. They’ll be active before tomorrow, probably within an hour or two.
And yes, Jeff, the 18 Farella and 18 Montecillo are the list price, same as they’ll be on Feb. 9th, however for BD we are extending the Ground shipping promotion. So, call it $20 for a case, instead of $72 ish for a case to the East Coast, as an example.
And the DI CO 18, Justin gets all the gold stars. Thanks for turning your MIL onto the wine! She managed to leave me enough behind to share, hah!
Very grateful for this support and engagement. Have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Erin, I am not getting the $10 shipping on 6 bottles.

Thanks Albert! The shipping promotion & the new 18s will be uploaded shortly, and then they’ll be activated once this preview period ends & I get my official ‘launch time’ from Todd et al. We’ll be sure you get whatever you need, thank you so much ~

Update: thanks to so many of you who reached out to me personally wanting to know more about the 18 Farella & 18 Montecillo. All of our BD wines are behind the curtain until 1/27, when they’ll automatically be ready for the big show… but here are the descriptions for those two Di Costanzo Wines, in case folks want to read up before the big unveiling.

I am legally required to share this quote from our fearless winemaker, not sure if I’ll follow his advice or not. “Don’t sell these wines. Let’s keep ‘em.” – Massimo Di Costanzo, January 25th, 2021 5:00 PM

2018 Di Costanzo Farella Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Coombsville - $125

2018 was a gorgeous, long, cool growing season, with picture perfect conditions to make our ideal kind of wines: pure and expressive Cabernet Sauvignon with polish and lifted aromatics. And nowhere is that recipe easier to achieve than at the Farella Vineyard in Coombsville. We started our wine project in earnest with four barrels of Cabernet Sauvignon from the Farella Vineyard in 2010, and year after year, we understand better the infinite complexity and sky-high quality of the wines that spring from these volcanic soils. In a near perfect growing season, like 2018, we have the luxury of letting the fruit hang as they need to achieve perfect ripeness. Four distinct blocks were harvested on two separate pick dates (October 9th and October 12th).

Visually, the wine is glossy, flaunting a deeply rich color. Brooding bass notes of inky fruit and gravel are precisely and symmetrically balanced by soaring top notes of licorice and perfumed herbs. Crème de cassis. Cocoa nib. Black olives. Anise. Pipe tobacco. Graphite, crushed rocks. Lavender. After 18 hours, this wine is just getting started. We find complex aromatics. Spice box. Bay leaf. Frutti di bosco. The tannins are silky, supporting a ripe and sculpted palate, with a pliant structure. Vibrant. Energetic. An instant, modern classic.

PRESS

95 points, Virginie Boone, Wine Enthusiast (Feb/March 2021 Issue, coming soon)

97 points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous: " The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Farella Vineyard is just as impressive as it was from barrel. A wine of tremendous gravitas and power, the Farella is endowed with so much personality. The darker side of this Coombsville site emerges with real power. Inky dark fruit, licorice, menthol, sage and lavender infuse with myriad layers of complexity. This is a reference point wine for Coombsville. In a word: magnificent.”

• 379 cases produced
    $125 per bottle
    Harvest Dates: October 9th and October 12th 2018
    22 months elevage in 60% New French Oak
    100% Cabernet Sauvignon, Clone 4 and Clone 8
    14.5 percent ABV
    Founder: Frank Farella
    Soil type: Rhyolitic tuff over volcanic ash loam
    Farming: Sustainable
    Founded in 1979
    Elevation: 300-500 feet
    Appellation: Coombsville

2018 Di Costanzo Montecillo Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Moon Mountain - $105

The Montecillo Vineyard is a jewel; a west-facing, rocky, living time capsule over 1,725 feet in elevation, bringing our imaginations back to 1968 when it was first planted. There, not far from the mountain ridgeline dividing Napa and Sonoma counties, you can see San Francisco on a clear day, and spy rattlesnakes and bumblebees quietly moving around the hulking grapevines. 2018 was a positively ideal growing season, with temperatures moderate enough to let this fruit hang on the vine almost a month longer than the previous year. For us, a drive up to Moon Mountain is like a tonic. Our heads clear, our shoulders soften, and we remember why we love making wine from this breathtaking perch high above the Sonoma Valley. All thanks go to the wonderful Kaarin Lee and her longtime vineyard manager, Chuy Ordaz, for their organic farming and stewardship of the Montecillo Vineyard.

The color of the 2018 Di Costanzo Montecillo exhibits more opacity and intensity than the crystalline translucence of the 2017, due to the much longer hang time and opportunity for the grapes to develop flavor and dimension while on the vine. Those who loved the 2017 will have a Wizard of Oz like experience with the 2018 Montecillo. Just as the stately and elegant sepia-toned film stepped into shining technicolor, so too does this wine, and it feels more immersive, more beautiful, more luminous. Every element we love about the 2017 is enriched in the 2018.

Red cherry, red apple. Orange and orange pith. Dark baker’s chocolate. Salted toffee. Tobacco leaf, balsam and soy, white pepper, cardamom. Ferrous minerality, crushed volcanic rocks. After 18 hours, the tannins become more spherical, and the brightly perfumed nose takes on a more dominant role. The fruit is ripe and dense, hedonistic, yet always showing lightness and freshness. The 2018 Di Costanzo Montecillo is a a thrilling mountain Cabernet Sauvignon, with an exotic flair, deep dimension, a seemingly endless finish, buoyed by succulent acidity. A legacy wine.

PRESS

98 points, Virginie Boone, Wine Enthusiast (Feb/March 2021 Issue, coming soon)

96 points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Montecillo Vineyard is flat-out stunning. Sadly, there are just six barrels of it. Rich, explosive and wonderfully deep, the 2018 captures the essence of site in its muscular, virile personality. Grilled herb, cedar, tobacco, dried flowers and scorched earth all run through the 2018…”

• 130 cases produced
    $105 per bottle
    Harvest Date: September 29th 2018
    33% New French Oak
    100% Cabernet Sauvignon
    14.3 percent ABV
    Vineyard Owner: Kaarin Lee
    Vineyard Manager: Chuy Ordaz
    Dry farmed, head-trained
    Soil type: Rhyolitic tuff over volcanic ash loam
    Farming: Organic
    Planted: 1968
    Elevation: 1,725 feet
    Appellation: Moon Mountain District of Sonoma County

Another public shaming 'bout to happen here…

If only the words ‘NO PURCHASES’ were atop this forum so people knew not to purchase from here!!!

Sorry Erin. I misunderstood. Mi culpa…

When you are looking through so many offers it does get confusing…

1 Like

What time EST is the offer going to be open on your site tomorrow? Thank you [cheers.gif]

Launch times remain a secret! It’s part of the fun of BerserkerDay! You never know what you’re gonna get!

1 Like

I am all over this tomorrow, as I was planning on buying during your release – so, thank you!

1 Like

Very excited to grab some DiCo tomorrow.

1 Like

Which is why some of us take a vacation day so we don’t miss the launch time. That and day drinking previous years Berserker Day wines!! [cheers.gif]

I basically shamed Erin to join BerserkerDay this year, as she was short of inventory…and I still haven’t tried the wines, even though my wife keeps pulling them from the cellar and asking ‘this one?’ - I want to give them a little aging, but I know Jen really is drawn to them for some reason!

Hah! My arm, it has been twisted. Let’s do this! Thank you so much, Todd! Tell Jen to go for it. Life is short :slight_smile: