Grand Reserve World Mastercard - Earn up to 8x Points On BD12

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. #BD12
Forum rules
Forum rules
Not 'Rules', necessarily, but here's how BerserkerDay goes:

I'll be launching offers in groups of 8-10, in increments of 30 minutes. Sponsors will stay pegged at the top of the forum all day, each new group of offers will come in at the top with them for their launch grouping, cycling into the 'normal' thread after their launch time has passed, with a new launch group posted atop the thread thereafter. Discussion is encouraged, as posting replies moves the thread up to the top of the grouping, whether that is during launch time group or the 'regular' forum.

Keep checking in every 30 minutes for new offers being posted, and keep scrolling down to see everything that has been launched throughout the timeframe in which you've been on the forum, which hopefully is ALL DAY
Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Grand Reserve World Mastercard - Earn up to 8x Points On BD12

#51 Post by Andre M »

Received my card today champagne.gif
Nice looking card.

And tomorrow the Liberte should arrive.
Thank you Matt and Chris!
A M u l y o n o
CT: IndoWino

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#52 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Are we to hear about approval via email, or just when we get the physical card in the mail?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Brian Tuite »

Andre M wrote: January 20th, 2021, 7:03 pm Received my card today champagne.gif
Nice looking card.

And tomorrow the Liberte should arrive.
Thank you Matt and Chris!
#metoo
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Brian Tuite »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 20th, 2021, 7:32 pm Are we to hear about approval via email, or just when we get the physical card in the mail?
They tell you immediately when
you apply. Misses that part eh?

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Brian Tuite »

Online account setup has a glitch. I get the email link, fill out the form, click Create Account and then get a never ending progress loop. Is it not iOS friendly? Tried it in my iPhone and iPad. Same results.

84FD3A59-7429-4E54-B438-FE5BE4DDDAA2.png
97947E89-05DC-440F-AD12-E66DEFB5422B.png

Would love to check all the benefits and partner wineries but cannot get a username.
[truce.gif]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Brian Tuite »

Brian Tuite wrote: January 20th, 2021, 8:35 pm Online account setup has a glitch. I get the email link, fill out the form, click Create Account and then get a never ending progress loop. Is it not iOS friendly? Tried it in my iPhone and iPad. Same results.

84FD3A59-7429-4E54-B438-FE5BE4DDDAA2.png97947E89-05DC-440F-AD12-E66DEFB5422B.png

Would love to check all the benefits and partner wineries but cannot get a username.
[truce.gif]
Use a different browser. Safari is not compatible. Chrome worked.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#57 Post by matthewgoldman »

Brian Tuite wrote: January 21st, 2021, 7:53 am
Brian Tuite wrote: January 20th, 2021, 8:35 pm Online account setup has a glitch. I get the email link, fill out the form, click Create Account and then get a never ending progress loop. Is it not iOS friendly? Tried it in my iPhone and iPad. Same results.

84FD3A59-7429-4E54-B438-FE5BE4DDDAA2.png97947E89-05DC-440F-AD12-E66DEFB5422B.png

[truce.gif]
Hi Brian - Sorry for the trouble here! We will take a look at which might be going wrong with Safari. It should work there but we'll see what's going on.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#58 Post by matthewgoldman »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 20th, 2021, 7:32 pm Are we to hear about approval via email, or just when we get the physical card in the mail?
You should receive an approval email, if not approved in realtime.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#59 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

matthewgoldman wrote: January 21st, 2021, 8:39 am
You should receive an approval email, if not approved in realtime.
Received it this morning. Smartly, the bank probably put me in the 'potential scammer' pile...but I tricked them!!!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

EricJ
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by EricJ »

EricJ wrote: January 18th, 2021, 1:47 pm
matthewgoldman wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:25 am
EricJ wrote: January 18th, 2021, 12:36 am

I had a very similar issue. Ended up re-applying and I made sure to rotate my license picture and I went with a bank / credit card statement instead of my internet bill and it went through within 24 hours.

Now I'm trying to create my online account, but because I live in Alaska and I have a local carrier my cell number gets screwy when it comes to being a "valid US number." But, I'm used to this problem and will figure it out tomorrow.
Eric - Please contact me if I can help on account setup! The Alaska problem is a new one to me, but would love to fix it for everyone.
I used my work cell (national carrier) to do the initial setup because of the holiday. I’ll call customer service tomorrow to switch my number over and let you know how it goes.

It has something to do with the way the VOIP/Wi-Fi is setup with my carrier. It registers the phone as an international number for some verification services.
It took a couple of days for the fix to flow through from customer service, but I was able to update my number.
J o h n s o n

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Mike Stoneking »

Glasses arrived yesterday. Super sweet. Was wondering how these would ship without breaking but the packaging is awesome.
Card arrived as well so went to my local watering hole and bought some cans with the card and got my points.
Have BD off and ready for action.
These users thanked the author Mike Stoneking for the post:
matthewgoldman
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Ron Slye »

[truce.gif]
FYI -- I used Safari this morning and it worked fine.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Albert R »

Safari worked for me as well. Card and glasses were received yesterday.
@. Re-go

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#64 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

GIMME MY CARD! I have orders to place, even before BerserkerDay!

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Ken Strauss »

Have no fear my glasses are here!
The packaging is second to none.
Thanks!
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#66 Post by Dan Hammer »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:49 am GIMME MY CARD! I have orders to place, even before BerserkerDay!
This mileage junkie is more than happy to place your orders with my just received card. Thank you Matthew Goldman. [cheers.gif]
This space for rent.

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#67 Post by matthewgoldman »

There's nothing better than Wine Miles!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Brian Tuite »

Ron Slye wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 8:14 am

[truce.gif]
FYI -- I used Safari this morning and it worked fine.
Well fu¢k me! [swoon.gif]

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#69 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Dan Hammer wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:50 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 9:49 am GIMME MY CARD! I have orders to place, even before BerserkerDay!
This mileage junkie is more than happy to place your orders with my just received card. Thank you Matthew Goldman. [cheers.gif]
You know I can ban you, right???

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#70 Post by Dan Hammer »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 11:06 am
Dan Hammer wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:50 am
You know I can ban you, right???

[smileyvault-ban.gif]
Before BerserkerDay? As Rodney Dangerfield would say, take my wife... please. Or in wine speak, thank you for maintaining my cellar. [whistle.gif] [wink.gif]
This space for rent.

Bruce Rudman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Bruce Rudman »

Just curious - I signed up and was approved today. Do you get our addresses (to mail us the glasses) from the credit card company as the Berserker login link only asked email and Berserker name?

Separately, I wish the bank's login system would let you generate credit card numbers for online purchases (like some other banks do), then I'd have a number before Berserkerday!
Bruce

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#72 Post by matthewgoldman »

Bruce Rudman wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 2:34 pm Just curious - I signed up and was approved today. Do you get our addresses (to mail us the glasses) from the credit card company as the Berserker login link only asked email and Berserker name?

Separately, I wish the bank's login system would let you generate credit card numbers for online purchases (like some other banks do), then I'd have a number before Berserkerday!
Thanks for applying Bruce!

Your Grassl Glasses will be shipped to the address on file for your credit card.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide a card number prior to card activation. Thanks for understanding!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Brian Tuite »

Anyone else having to enter a security code every time they logon to the Grand Reserve website. I've logged on 4 times and have had 4 separate text messages with a security code. Seems kinda redundant unless they don't use cookies but they have a remember me box so they use cookies.

When I activated my card I also filled out the Berserker GCC link for the extra 10,000 points. I saw someone mention upthread that they received their points. Don't see any posted to my account, plus it reads "You have until 4-13-2021 to earn your bonus" of 50,000 points. Isn't this supposed to read 75,000?

Am I the test dummy for system glitches?

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#74 Post by matthewgoldman »

Brian Tuite wrote: January 24th, 2021, 6:59 am Anyone else having to enter a security code every time they logon to the Grand Reserve website. I've logged on 4 times and have had 4 separate text messages with a security code. Seems kinda redundant unless they don't use cookies but they have a remember me box so they use cookies.

When I activated my card I also filled out the Berserker GCC link for the extra 10,000 points. I saw someone mention upthread that they received their points. Don't see any posted to my account, plus it reads "You have until 4-13-2021 to earn your bonus" of 50,000 points. Isn't this supposed to read 75,000?

Am I the test dummy for system glitches?
Hi Brian-

Our authentication system (powered by AWS) uses its own internal algorithm to decide when to query for text messages. It asks for text message login as a method of dual factor authentication for your security.

We have not issued any Berserker Grand Cru Cru bonuses at this time. Some other folks in the forum were users of our previous previous program, which entitled them to an additional bonus. Grand Cru Cru bonuses will be posted following the end of the promotion, close to the beginning of February.

It is important that when you applied you clicked on the official link in this thread. If you did not you have may ended up on our default offer. Please email us at hello@grandreserverewards.com from the email address registered with your account so we can look into things and adjust your account if necessary.

Matthew
These users thanked the author matthewgoldman for the post:
Brian Tuite
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

EAScrog
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#75 Post by EAScrog »

Matthew, does the Grand Reserve system "know" there's going to be massive spending for BD12 or should we call them? I was planning to call Chase Sapphire to let them know, but will be using my new GR card instead.

It could be *interesting* if GCC Members had their purchases rejected because a spending slam triggered some sort of system throttle or shutdown.
e l i z a B e t h

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#76 Post by matthewgoldman »

EAScrog wrote: January 24th, 2021, 9:46 am Matthew, does the Grand Reserve system "know" there's going to be massive spending for BD12 or should we call them? I was planning to call Chase Sapphire to let them know, but will be using my new GR card instead.

It could be *interesting* if GCC Members had their purchases rejected because a spending slam triggered some sort of system throttle or shutdown.
We are working with our bank to ensure that they are aware of the spending increase and the merchants at which we expect to see them. It's our first BerserkerDay, but we are attempting to make sure everything goes smoothly!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Emily Richer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#77 Post by Emily Richer »

I hate to be a wet blanket here, perhaps it's just my exhaustion from the year of three catastrophes... but I have both knowledge and strong opinions about the abuse of small business that is represented by credit card processing fees, hence so many new disruptors in this industry (Affirm, etc.), yay.

I'll remind you all of Econ 101: There is no such thing as a Free Lunch.

The price you pay remains the same, so.... where does all that free stuff come from? The fatter the card, the more it hurts the merchant. There's an illusion out there that credit cards only charge us 2%, couldn't be further from the truth. Who pays Jennifer Garner? I get the draw of the miles, and for frequent flyers you gotta do it. To not have a mileage credit card is to shop at Safeway/Kroger without your club card--you'd be a chump.

But please know that flaunting so publicly all the excitement over all the free benefits, well, just be aware who is paying for them.

As a small business, my access fees, monthly fees, A-Z bs fees (And I've recently invested MONTHS in negotiating a flat rate with my processor, which STILL bills me A-N fees). Add on top the heavy cost of a points-reward card vs a bank debit card, well, we can only hope for more AMEX orders--the idea they charge merchants more from bygone days, before the rise of the points-rewards card.

What can I say, inside this winemaker is an old school CPA with an economics degree. Because I had to resort to a fixed fee with my processor, I'm now paying 2.75% on everything (forced my processor to match Square) instead of rolling dice, sometimes paying the much higher rates from a system like this one, but I sure miss when customers would use their bank debit/VISA at like .15%...

Alas, I can't fight American consumerism...

Matthew told me it's "not his expertise," but he'd find a better processor so I can sign up; I don't want to be rude, but (1) really? And hook that up into my ecommerce site for me? Cuz I'm crazy busy, (2) the presumption of my financial ignorance is a mistake, IMHO, and (3) just sayin, please no personal offense, where does his own compensation come from? And time to offer me such services not even in his expertise. Me, the merchant, again, is where his compensation comes from. He is taken aback and argues, Well, you gotta pay the toll Emily so it might as well go to wine! OK, true dat, the whole thing is out of control, and the consumer doesn't really GET IT, but for sake of philosophical digression here, when the tolls get so high, in a world where fintech is now crazy efficient, these cards are halcyon days... Enjoy it while it lasts.

Just sayin, Berserker Day was initially about helping small wineries make offers direct to wine lovers and getting those wine lovers killer prices...

I'm a purist. I like truth in pricing; you pay $5, I receive $5 maybe less a small fee for the quick cash. For a small biz, credit card processing will typically run 10-15%, mine has been higher, and that's setting aside all the fixed fees in the months of no/low sales.

The more celebrity promoters, miles and free stuff, the less I can afford to give the discounts I want to give you, the Berserkers I truly love. Just a simple fact.

I considered doing a 5% discount for mailed checks.... Talk about INSTANT BENEFITS (cue all the salesy exclamation points). But that pits me against the happy herd cashing in on the 6x points. Over the years, I've sent a lot of SASE's out with my wine orders, never a berserker who didn't pay me. Truly the only reason for a merchant to take a credit card is the risk of nonpayment for goods shipped. How much risk is there here in this community? In the old days, I'd say none. Of course, BDay has exploded beyond that. And shame on me with my tornado, pandemic and wildfire, I've not posted all year, so shut up Emily...

Alas, just sharing a merchant perspective. Berserkers, this organization, represents wine BUYERS. Initially, though, BeserkerDay was looking out for the producer, too. My favorite thing, the win-win.

Back to my offer, apparently everyone started early this year. I'm running about four months behind in everything, sorry to sound crabby.
These users thanked the author Emily Richer for the post (total 6):
Brian Tuite, Dan Hammer, larry schaffer, Scott Watkins, mattcitrang, Jeff_M.
Virage Napa Valley
Emily - Winemaker, Partner & Shipping Clerk

bradkaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by bradkaplan »

It's a very fair point, and represents a whole world of things consumers want/expect without thinking about consequences on the businesses - like Opentable/DoorDash/UberEats/etc which are incredibly bad for restaurants in many ways. I try to avoid using all of those in favor of working directly with the businesses, despite any inconvenience. Paying by credit card is such a dominant method of transacting that most consumers probably don't give it a second thought.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#79 Post by Rodrigo B »

Emily Richer wrote: January 24th, 2021, 11:31 pm I hate to be a wet blanket here, perhaps it's just my exhaustion from the year of three catastrophes... but I have both knowledge and strong opinions about the abuse of small business that is represented by credit card processing fees, hence so many new disruptors in this industry (Affirm, etc.), yay.

I'll remind you all of Econ 101: There is no such thing as a Free Lunch.

The price you pay remains the same, so.... where does all that free stuff come from? The fatter the card, the more it hurts the merchant. There's an illusion out there that credit cards only charge us 2%, couldn't be further from the truth. Who pays Jennifer Garner? I get the draw of the miles, and for frequent flyers you gotta do it. To not have a mileage credit card is to shop at Safeway/Kroger without your club card--you'd be a chump.

But please know that flaunting so publicly all the excitement over all the free benefits, well, just be aware who is paying for them.

As a small business, my access fees, monthly fees, A-Z bs fees (And I've recently invested MONTHS in negotiating a flat rate with my processor, which STILL bills me A-N fees). Add on top the heavy cost of a points-reward card vs a bank debit card, well, we can only hope for more AMEX orders--the idea they charge merchants more from bygone days, before the rise of the points-rewards card.

What can I say, inside this winemaker is an old school CPA with an economics degree. Because I had to resort to a fixed fee with my processor, I'm now paying 2.75% on everything (forced my processor to match Square) instead of rolling dice, sometimes paying the much higher rates from a system like this one, but I sure miss when customers would use their bank debit/VISA at like .15%...

Alas, I can't fight American consumerism...

Matthew told me it's "not his expertise," but he'd find a better processor so I can sign up; I don't want to be rude, but (1) really? And hook that up into my ecommerce site for me? Cuz I'm crazy busy, (2) the presumption of my financial ignorance is a mistake, IMHO, and (3) just sayin, please no personal offense, where does his own compensation come from? And time to offer me such services not even in his expertise. Me, the merchant, again, is where his compensation comes from. He is taken aback and argues, Well, you gotta pay the toll Emily so it might as well go to wine! OK, true dat, the whole thing is out of control, and the consumer doesn't really GET IT, but for sake of philosophical digression here, when the tolls get so high, in a world where fintech is now crazy efficient, these cards are halcyon days... Enjoy it while it lasts.

Just sayin, Berserker Day was initially about helping small wineries make offers direct to wine lovers and getting those wine lovers killer prices...

I'm a purist. I like truth in pricing; you pay $5, I receive $5 maybe less a small fee for the quick cash. For a small biz, credit card processing will typically run 10-15%, mine has been higher, and that's setting aside all the fixed fees in the months of no/low sales.

The more celebrity promoters, miles and free stuff, the less I can afford to give the discounts I want to give you, the Berserkers I truly love. Just a simple fact.

I considered doing a 5% discount for mailed checks.... Talk about INSTANT BENEFITS (cue all the salesy exclamation points). But that pits me against the happy herd cashing in on the 6x points. Over the years, I've sent a lot of SASE's out with my wine orders, never a berserker who didn't pay me. Truly the only reason for a merchant to take a credit card is the risk of nonpayment for goods shipped. How much risk is there here in this community? In the old days, I'd say none. Of course, BDay has exploded beyond that. And shame on me with my tornado, pandemic and wildfire, I've not posted all year, so shut up Emily...

Alas, just sharing a merchant perspective. Berserkers, this organization, represents wine BUYERS. Initially, though, BeserkerDay was looking out for the producer, too. My favorite thing, the win-win.

Back to my offer, apparently everyone started early this year. I'm running about four months behind in everything, sorry to sound crabby.
Credit cards fees have no doubt become a pain point for small merchants. It's tough to fight against such a convenient form of payment though. I've got friends who don't even carry around cash anymore. You add in the other card benefits like points, miles, etc and as you noted, it becomes a no brainer from the consumer's perspective.

At the end of the day, its important that credit card companies and card processors realise that the merchants are their main customers, not cardholders, and they should really strive to add value to the merchants and not just cardholders.

The economist in me tends to view the whole issue as a misspricing issue. That credit cards are essentially the de facto form of payment now and since that has increased the costs of sales to merchants, merchants perhaps ought to raise prices to cover their increased costs of goods sold. The consumer in me wants the lowest possible price, but it's tough to beat the convenience of credit cards. I don't even remember the last time I wrote I check was.

I do think your check idea may be one in the right direction though. Maybe not with checks, but perhaps another alternative digital form of payment that doesn't carry the costs of credit cards if done effectively by sufficient enough merchants, can potentially offer enough incentives to consumers to both help guide consumer behavior away from CCs at times; put pressure on credit card companies to shift their pricing; or incentivize new digital payment alternatives to be further developed.
B r @ g @

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by MitchTallan »

Sorry to express a negative view. I think this entire enterprise-promoting a credit card as part of BD-is most unfortunate. For many reasons including those expressed by Emily, but more.
This is the cherry on top of the tabulation as to who spent the most on BD. While a lot of people are hurting. There is something both crass and elitist about it.
I have more wine than space. More wine than my liver can ever process.
I enjoyed BD for the sake of supporting small wineries I enjoy and sure, getting a nice price on wine was fun too.
I think I am going to sit Wednesday out. Seriously.
These users thanked the author MitchTallan for the post:
Emily Richer
No thanks given.

Chris Freemott

#81 Post by Chris Freemott »

Mitch,
Why is the support of a wine-centric credit card where the points are used specifically to enhance your enjoyment of wine AND voluntary in both signing up and using it, different than any winemaker, wine glass maker, or beef purveyor?

Those who value their points and 'play the game' have historically done so by maximizing their own travel and hotel benefits. In today's world, those benefits are of limited potential value to most. This card may offer up value to those who no longer need airline points.

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#82 Post by Rodrigo B »

MitchTallan wrote: January 25th, 2021, 11:22 am Sorry to express a negative view. I think this entire enterprise-promoting a credit card as part of BD-is most unfortunate. For many reasons including those expressed by Emily, but more.
This is the cherry on top of the tabulation as to who spent the most on BD. While a lot of people are hurting. There is something both crass and elitist about it.
I have more wine than space. More wine than my liver can ever process.
I enjoyed BD for the sake of supporting small wineries I enjoy and sure, getting a nice price on wine was fun too.
I think I am going to sit Wednesday out. Seriously.
Personally I see no issue with a credit card being part of BD. Wine as a whole is consumer centric, and I’d reckon pretty much all active members of the community spend more on wine than your average person does. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the creation of a credit card focused around those who enjoy purchasing and drinking wine, just like there are credit cards for travel or other niche purchases.

As I understand it, Grand Reserve is a relatively new venture, and as with all new ventures it is bound to have its kinks along the way. And people are welcome to opine as to whether any given credit card or payment processor fits their needs as a consumer or merchant, and there’s certainly some struggles wineries face with the costs of payment processing, but I don’t think that disqualifies a credit card company from trying to create a product to service the needs of wine consumers and wine sellers and from marketing it during Berserker Day, which is solely focused on wine and food related transactions.

There’s certainly something to be said about being aware of the position many of us are in to be able to afford the wines and other luxury products on Berserker Day while many out there are struggling. Ultimately though, this is a wine-centric community where people can share their enthusiasm for wine in whatever form it may take. Whether that’s sharing tasting notes on whatever wine you’ve enjoyed, discussing a particular wine region or grape, producers sharing their knowledge, or even sharing your excitement with your latest wine purchase. If we were to randomly engage in this type of conversation in another forum, you’d certainly need to exercise some more tact, but I think this is really one of the few places where discussing your latest purchase can actually be appropriate and encourage relevant discussions, such as which merchant the wine was purchased from, price, whether it was worth the money, etc. I'd be hard pressed to find another forum where such a discussion would be appropriate
These users thanked the author Rodrigo B for the post:
matthewgoldman
B r @ g @

Emily Richer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#83 Post by Emily Richer »

I don't think it elitist to use a points-reward credit card on BerserkerDay, a day we support small wineries (and other businesses/merchants), I just think it's a strange choice to promote a points-reward card as if it's the greatest thing on earth for everyone involved. Certainly, consumers value their "points." My point was to raise awareness that I, the merchant, directly pay for those points.

FWIW, the "company trying to service the needs of wine consumers and wine sellers" comment is lost on me. This service only benefits the wine purchasers.

Good suggestion by Rodrigo to promote a more rational/transparent form of payment that doesn't tan the hides of merchants. The bank debit/VISA card is very inexpensive for merchants. The Capital One type credit card, and the Grand Rewards being discussed here, is very expensive for merchants, at least 20x higher cost than a standard individual bank card.

To be clear, merchants who accept VISA or MASTER CARD have no choice in the matter of which sponsors of reward point cards they can accept or not accept. This is a totally one-sided situation. Sometimes I wonder how it's even legal.

In order to address the pain of rewards cards for merchants, some credit card processors will offer us one flat rate for all cards; they win if more of my customers have bank cards, they lose if everyone has points-rewards cards. Square started this, at 2.75% I got my credit card processor to match the Square rate as my so-called flat rate, but they still nickel and dime me to death (which Square does not, I love Square, I bought the stock when it was a fledgling at like $14/share, and if I hadn't thought the value was out of hand at $65 and sold, I'd be retired today... (it's >$200, Fintech is a hot segment...). What's frustrating for me now, is to deal with the egregious point-reward cards at higher rates, I give up all the nice .15% and .20% bank card transactions. I used to have occasional months under 2.75%

The last thing I want is a fun Frequent Flyer King like Erez Lenchner or Dan Hammer to feel guilty using their airline card (and they should not); I'm not trying to shame the cardholders, I accept every form of payment happily. I was just taken aback that this concept of PROMOTING an expensive-to-merchant card for BerserkerDay was actually happening with so much oblivious glee on the very day designed to celebrate small merchants. And frankly, I looked at the catalog of what the Grand Rewards points can buy. Obviously, they cannot buy wine (due to all the legal issues around buying and selling wine). If you need a cooler, and like those coolers, I guess the points are worth something; if not, there wasn't much on that list worth, to me, the annual fee and having all your small wine merchants charge you a higher price--as someone suggested--to cover the cost of that middleman. The cheese boards and other Nambe stuff was really nice. I miss my cheese boards (all burned in the fire).

I feel like I'm doing sensitivity training. I get it you guys didn't know the merchant pays for all the goodies :-)
These users thanked the author Emily Richer for the post (total 6):
Dan Hammer, Kevin Porter, D@vid Bu3ker, mattcitrang, MikeHill, Patrick T a y l o r
Virage Napa Valley
Emily - Winemaker, Partner & Shipping Clerk

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#84 Post by matthewgoldman »

Noting an edit to the main post. We are pleased to share a list of our partner who are participating in BerserkerDay 12. As a reminder, cardmembers will earn 8x points at our partners today (and 6x points at non-partner wineries). It is our mission to support the connects of wine enthusiasts to great producers and we are investing heavily into this promotion to ensure Berserkers get the most out of BD12.

Here's the list as also updated on the initial post:
  • Big Basin Vineyards
  • Bougetz Cellars
  • Briceland Vineyards
  • Chiron Wines
  • Grassl/CJF Selections
  • Dusty Nabor Wines
  • DV8 Cellars
  • E M H Vineyards
  • Flannery Beef
  • Franny Beck
  • Gourmets of Spain
  • Jean Edwards Cellars
  • Loring Wine Co.
  • Repour
  • Ridge Vineyards
  • Riverain Vineyard
  • Sandler Wine Co.
  • Sun Break Wine & Cider
  • Tercero Wines
  • Vincent Wine Co.
  • Zoetic Wines
While it is, unfortunately, too late to get your card in time for tomorrow, there is still one day to earn our best-ever 75,000 point signup bonus. Please use this special link for BD12: https://grwmc.co/bd12. This offer expires at midnight Pacific, January 27th, 2021.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

I have mixed feelings about this. The pull was strong today, but I see there's no more time to get the card approved. That is a bit of a relief.

Getting free stuff is great, but those free Grassl stems? Or the free wine cooler? Somebody is paying for them.

Full disclosure: I own Grassl stems, and they are fabulous. I haven't used my other stems ever since, unless I'm outdoors. And, this year's Berserker day offer still a screaming buy if you don't already own them.
Last edited by Patrick T a y l o r on January 26th, 2021, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Chris Freemott

#86 Post by Chris Freemott »

Getting free stuff is great, but those free Grassl stems? Somebody is paying for them; the Berserker Day offer went up $5 a stem over last year.

Full disclosure: I own Grassl stems, and they are fabulous. I haven't used my other stems ever since, unless I'm outdoors. And, this year's Berserker day offer still a screaming buy if you don't already own them.
Patrick - 100% transparency from me here.

The price increase is from the following:

1 - increase in QC requirements from the factory lower yield, so, we throw more glasses back. Higher costs.
2 - Go look at the EU/USD from 1 year ago. We were at 1.10 vs. today's 1.23
3 - International transport costs are up. We have seen constraints across the entire spectrum be it ocean, air, local.
4 - domestic distribution costs (UPS/FedEx/USPS) are higher from me (Chicago) to you

NO doubt my prices are higher. My costs are up more. I'm doing what I can to hold the line and absorb these increases the best I can.

Matthew buys the glasses and distribution costs from me at a fair market price. The card is not the source of any changes on my offering.

-Chris
These users thanked the author Chris Freemott for the post (total 6):
bradkaplan, matthewgoldman, Dave Gottschalk, Rory K., Bruce Rudman, Luca Giupponi

Bruce Rudman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Bruce Rudman »

I point this out to the naysayers. I was in retail before I became a lawyer a few decades ago. I am quite versed in the costs of the merchant to take cards. The incentives offered by the credit cards are largely on their hope and belief that cardholders will pay interest and not pay off the cards in full - but if their gamble is wrong, then they still make some money from those who can afford to pay in full and cover regular merchant fees. I do think those on this board are not going to give much interest to the credit card companies. So, the credit card companies pay for your volume to get "points."

The reality is that the merchant fee is not really paying for the perks. It is the high interest (compared to 0.25% prime rate) that entices credit cards to offer free glasses or other perks.

I pay off my cards in full most of the time. Some times it takes an extra month. Yes, there is no such thing as a free lunch. But, we are not paying for the perks.
Bruce

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Chris Freemott wrote: January 26th, 2021, 5:45 pm
Patrick - 100% transparency from me here.

The price increase is from the following:
Matthew buys the glasses and distribution costs from me at a fair market price. The card is not the source of any changes on my offering.

-Chris
Thank you, Chris. This is another reason why Grassl is the best, because Chris reps them. His customer service is beyond reproach. I will edit my original post and clarify my sentiment.
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

R. Gleiberm@n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by R. Gleiberm@n »

How can you use the card TODAY, on BD, if you have just applied and been approved?
R odney

"You guys playin' cards?"

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#90 Post by matthewgoldman »

R. Gleiberm@n wrote: January 27th, 2021, 8:43 am How can you use the card TODAY, on BD, if you have just applied and been approved?
The "today" referred to the date of the original post and I have added a clarification. We are unable to provide your card number electronically at this time.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Quick question. A Grand Reserve Partner purchase from yesterday just posted on my account and it's giving me 5x points rather than 8x. Do these perks kick in after BD is over?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#92 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

should have NO problem getting to my bonus...I'm not as good as Tuite, but I'm trying

S t e p h e n Moss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by S t e p h e n Moss »

Got the wine glasses but no card yet. Bummer.

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Luca Giupponi wrote: January 27th, 2021, 10:04 am Quick question. A Grand Reserve Partner purchase from yesterday just posted on my account and it's giving me 5x points rather than 8x. Do these perks kick in after BD is over?
Nevermind - I see that those extra points are added in the Rewards page. Should have looked more closely!

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#95 Post by matthewgoldman »

S t e p h e n Moss wrote: January 27th, 2021, 10:06 am Got the wine glasses but no card yet. Bummer.
Your card should arrive in 7-10 business days form approval. Personalization and US Mail does appear to be a bit slower than Chris's UPS shipping, depending on where you live. Thanks for understanding!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#96 Post by matthewgoldman »

Luca Giupponi wrote: January 27th, 2021, 10:07 am
Luca Giupponi wrote: January 27th, 2021, 10:04 am Quick question. A Grand Reserve Partner purchase from yesterday just posted on my account and it's giving me 5x points rather than 8x. Do these perks kick in after BD is over?
Nevermind - I see that those extra points are added in the Rewards page. Should have looked more closely!
Great point Luca - While the base (3x/5x) will show on the financial transactions summary, the BerserkerDay Bonus will show on the Rewards page. After the dust settles end of month you'll also see your Top Wine Merchant bonus there, too!

Signup bonus points are issued after you both spend the minimum ($3,000) in the first 90 days from account opening (approval) and also after your first minimum payment is received.

Grand Cru Crü bonuses will post around the end of the month.

Lots of points being issued right now! What a day!
These users thanked the author matthewgoldman for the post:
Kevin Jones
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

bradkaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by bradkaplan »

Another question - for redeeming points for Grassl glasses, do we just redeem as usual, or is there some kind of special bundle? I filled out the form from Chris on the Grassl glass thread and wasn't clear on how that relates to the redemption on the Grand Reserve site.

Mike C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Mike C. »

What happened to the wine scent kits on the reward page? I saw it last week as a redemption option before I applied but now they are all gone.
h@0

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#99 Post by matthewgoldman »

bradkaplan wrote: January 27th, 2021, 2:02 pm Another question - for redeeming points for Grassl glasses, do we just redeem as usual, or is there some kind of special bundle? I filled out the form from Chris on the Grassl glass thread and wasn't clear on how that relates to the redemption on the Grand Reserve site.
There are some existing glasses in the catalog which you can order anytime.

For the special bundle Chris mentions in this thread he is collecting pre-orders, then we're going to sync up and make sure everyone has the points and ship them out. Chris says it makes sense!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#100 Post by matthewgoldman »

Mike C. wrote: January 27th, 2021, 2:34 pm What happened to the wine scent kits on the reward page? I saw it last week as a redemption option before I applied but now they are all gone.
Temporary stock issues...some should re-appear shortly! We try not to show out of stock items.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Return to “BerserkerDay 12 (Jan 27, 2021) "The Black Friday of Wine Commerce" - Forbes”