Grand Reserve World Mastercard - Earn up to 8x Points On BD12

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. #BD12
Forum rules
Forum rules
Not 'Rules', necessarily, but here's how BerserkerDay goes:

I'll be launching offers in groups of 8-10, in increments of 30 minutes. Sponsors will stay pegged at the top of the forum all day, each new group of offers will come in at the top with them for their launch grouping, cycling into the 'normal' thread after their launch time has passed, with a new launch group posted atop the thread thereafter. Discussion is encouraged, as posting replies moves the thread up to the top of the grouping, whether that is during launch time group or the 'regular' forum.

Keep checking in every 30 minutes for new offers being posted, and keep scrolling down to see everything that has been launched throughout the timeframe in which you've been on the forum, which hopefully is ALL DAY
Mike C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Grand Reserve World Mastercard - Earn up to 8x Points On BD12

#101 Post by Mike C. »

matthewgoldman wrote: January 27th, 2021, 3:01 pm
Mike C. wrote: January 27th, 2021, 2:34 pm What happened to the wine scent kits on the reward page? I saw it last week as a redemption option before I applied but now they are all gone.
Temporary stock issues...some should re-appear shortly! We try not to show out of stock items.
Great! Something I probably wouldn’t buy out of pocket but a fun thing to use these points for!
h@0

Chadly S

#102 Post by Chadly S »

General question. For the bonus points, if we placed the order the 26th or 27th but the winery doesn’t charge us until the 28th or later, do we still get the bonus points? I know it’s a nit picky technicality but just wanted to know either way.

Separately, purchases with my card went off without a hitch and I bought a few offers I probably wouldn’t have without the card and points.
Chad Szczepanski

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#103 Post by matthewgoldman »

Chadly S wrote: January 27th, 2021, 8:20 pm General question. For the bonus points, if we placed the order the 26th or 27th but the winery doesn’t charge us until the 28th or later, do we still get the bonus points? I know it’s a nit picky technicality but just wanted to know either way.

Separately, purchases with my card went off without a hitch and I bought a few offers I probably wouldn’t have without the card and points.
If the transaction date is 26/27 it counts (ET). If it settles later it counts. If they don’t charge you for a few days it doesn’t count for the extra bonus but still 3x/5x

So glad it went smoothly.
These users thanked the author matthewgoldman for the post:
Chadly S
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#104 Post by matthewgoldman »

Noting a change to the original post, as the original offer is now expired. Posted in first post and quoted below. Thank you everyone for your support and for signing up!

NOTE: The BerserkerDay 12 offer is now expired. You can still apply for the card with our standard offer of 50,000 bonus points on signup. Please visit https://grwmc.co/wineberserkers to read more, review the terms and conditions, and apply.

Applications completed prior to midnight Pacific 1/27/2021 that are in review will earn the BD12 signup bonus. Future applications will not.

While the signup bonus changed and the accelerated earnings on BD12 are over, you will still earn 5x points at partners, 3x points at wine merchants & restaurants, and 2x everywhere else. We will continue to ship you a pair of Grassl Glasses as a welcome bonus!

https://grwmc.co/wineberserkers
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Dan Hammer

#105 Post by Dan Hammer »

My glasses arrived last night. That was some impressive packing. Going to take a spin around the block with my new glass with the '09 Sojourn Spring Mountain cab tonight, along with a 12 oz Flannery (from my last purchase).
Last edited by Dan Hammer on January 28th, 2021, 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Dan Hammer for the post:
Dave Gottschalk
This space for rent.

Li Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Li Chen »

My card was approved last Friday and my glasses arrived today. Thanks Chris. Very nice packaging. Love the glasses!

Matthew, I am still waiting for my card. I spent over $2600 on BD12. Now I have to figure out how to spend $3000 when the card arrives. It will be tough. Thank you for helping with my application.

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#107 Post by matthewgoldman »

Li Chen wrote: January 28th, 2021, 4:12 pm My card was approved last Friday and my glasses arrived today. Thanks Chris. Very nice packaging. Love the glasses!

Matthew, I am still waiting for my card. I spent over $2600 on BD12. Now I have to figure out how to spend $3000 when the card arrives. It will be tough. Thank you for helping with my application.
You card should arrive soon! Usually 7-10 days. If not, message me and we'll expedite.

I am sure you will have more opportunity--you can use the card for more than wine of course--utilities, netflix, insurance payments, restaurants, etc.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Dan Hammer

#108 Post by Dan Hammer »

This glass is light as a feather. It's beautiful to look at, and much lighter in feel than my Riedels. When I tapped it with my ring, it was a much nicer sound than Riedel. I wish I could write tasting notes as descriptive as this. neener
This space for rent.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#109 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Ok, not to show my 'credit card balance' or anything, since it's only 2 days old, but this feature is REALLY cool! Most credit cards with bonuses would rather HIDE the bonus than have this feature!
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 7.58.54 PM.png
Fantastic idea, whomever came up with it.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#110 Post by matthewgoldman »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 28th, 2021, 8:00 pm Ok, not to show my 'credit card balance' or anything, since it's only 2 days old, but this feature is REALLY cool! Most credit cards with bonuses would rather HIDE the bonus than have this feature!

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 7.58.54 PM.png

Fantastic idea, whomever came up with it.

Thanks Todd! I'll let the team know how pleased you are!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Bruce Rudman

#111 Post by Bruce Rudman »

I received my glasses last night and took one for a "spin." I really like the look, feel and taste with them. They look so fragile, so I am hoping they are as durable as others say! Still don't have the card though!
Bruce

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#112 Post by matthewgoldman »

Bruce Rudman wrote: January 30th, 2021, 8:28 am I received my glasses last night and took one for a "spin." I really like the look, feel and taste with them. They look so fragile, so I am hoping they are as durable as others say! Still don't have the card though!
Cards should arrive within 7-10 business days of your approval or 14 at most. If it still hasn’t you can contact us for a replacement.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Li Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Li Chen »

matthewgoldman wrote: January 28th, 2021, 4:49 pm
Li Chen wrote: January 28th, 2021, 4:12 pm My card was approved last Friday and my glasses arrived today. Thanks Chris. Very nice packaging. Love the glasses!

You card should arrive soon! Usually 7-10 days. If not, message me and we'll expedite.

I am sure you will have more opportunity--you can use the card for more than wine of course--utilities, netflix, insurance payments, restaurants, etc.
Hi Matthew,

My card arrived last week. It looks very cool. Fantastic design. I am grateful for all the assistance during this process.

I wish the card has arrived in time for BD12. I lost 15,000 points because it arrived a week later. I will now wait for BD13.

Happy weekend.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Ken Strauss »

I tried to order Valentines Day special from Flannery. The card was rejected. I have plenty of available credit.
I just charged it on American Express and had no problem. Not sure what happened. Matthew...I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Ken
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#115 Post by matthewgoldman »

Ken Strauss wrote: February 8th, 2021, 7:36 pm I tried to order Valentines Day special from Flannery. The card was rejected. I have plenty of available credit.
I just charged it on American Express and had no problem. Not sure what happened. Matthew...I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Ken
It sounds like it may be that our anti-fraud algorithms were tripped to protect you from unwanted charges.

There are certain procedures that the bank requires are followed for ongoing customer care, so I encourage you (and everyone) to contact us at hello@grandreservecard.com or 800-630-6056 for support.

If our team can't help you, please message me and I'll see if I can move things along. I, too, have had a transaction or two declined! No offense is intended ;)
Last edited by matthewgoldman on February 8th, 2021, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Kedar Dubhashi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Kedar Dubhashi »

Fraud-prevention kicking in happens on all credit cards. Calling up customer service is the only way to fix the problem. I am glad this card has it.

Al Osterheld

#117 Post by Al Osterheld »

Takes a while for a new card to learn your afflictions.

- Al

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Ken Strauss »

matthewgoldman wrote: February 8th, 2021, 8:01 pm
Ken Strauss wrote: February 8th, 2021, 7:36 pm I tried to order Valentines Day special from Flannery. The card was rejected. I have plenty of available credit.
Thanks
Ken
It sounds like it may be that our anti-fraud algorithms were tripped to protect you from unwanted charges.

There are certain procedures that the bank requires are followed for ongoing customer care, so I encourage you (and everyone) to contact us at hello@grandreservecard.com or 800-630-6056 for support.

If our team can't help you, please message me and I'll see if I can move things along. I, too, have had a transaction or two declined! No offense is intended ;)
Very strange.
I will call tomorrow.
Thanks
Ken

S t e p h e n Moss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by S t e p h e n Moss »

I applied and was accepted on Jan 19th. Got my glasses before berserker day but still no card.

Also I get grand reserve points already, how are these points different then the ones from the credit card.

Dan Hammer

#120 Post by Dan Hammer »

My Pass arrived in the mail today.
This space for rent.

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#121 Post by matthewgoldman »

S t e p h e n Moss wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:30 am I applied and was accepted on Jan 19th. Got my glasses before berserker day but still no card.

Also I get grand reserve points already, how are these points different then the ones from the credit card.
Stephen - We'll get back to you on your question via your email to support. I would discourage everyone from publicly posting personal card info here as the forum is not secure...
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Ken Strauss »

Ken Strauss wrote: February 8th, 2021, 8:09 pm
matthewgoldman wrote: February 8th, 2021, 8:01 pm
Thanks
Ken

Very strange.
I will call tomorrow.
Thanks
Ken
I called customer service.
No explanation. The transaction doesn’t show up.
Like I said strange.

Kedar Dubhashi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Kedar Dubhashi »

Matthew, thanks for following up with your team. My card was approved today. Looking forward to spending $$ on my new card!

Chris, I was wondering if I could get the Cru (or 1855 as a second choice) glasses instead of Liberte. Please let me know. Thank you.

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Won H. L e e »

I will come out and say it. Grand Western Reserve.. you guys are pathetic, the way you have approached this whole ordeal. Initially created GR rewards system, and then to force people into signing up for credit card, now you discontinue the link service? and then offer mere 0.004 cent per point? If the credit card carried no annual fee, perhaps, but 100+ annual fee from 2nd yr, while there are much better cards with huge returns? Yeah.. Yikes.

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#125 Post by matthewgoldman »

Kedar Dubhashi wrote: February 9th, 2021, 6:15 pm Matthew, thanks for following up with your team. My card was approved today. Looking forward to spending $$ on my new card!

Chris, I was wondering if I could get the Cru (or 1855 as a second choice) glasses instead of Liberte. Please let me know. Thank you.
Kedar - I am glad we were able to work everything out. We'll work with Chris on this.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#126 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Won H. L e e wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:56 am I will come out and say it. Grand Western Reserve.. you guys are pathetic, the way you have approached this whole ordeal. Initially created GR rewards system, and then to force people into signing up for credit card, now you discontinue the link service? and then offer mere 0.004 cent per point? If the credit card carried no annual fee, perhaps, but 100+ annual fee from 2nd yr, while there are much better cards with huge returns? Yeah.. Yikes.
I just received the email, trying to figure it out as well. To me it seems like it is the former program, where you just linked another card to the rewards program (like I had), but that earned very little in terms of points, by my experience anyway.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#127 Post by matthewgoldman »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: February 10th, 2021, 11:00 am
Won H. L e e wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:56 am I will come out and say it. Grand Western Reserve.. you guys are pathetic, the way you have approached this whole ordeal. Initially created GR rewards system, and then to force people into signing up for credit card, now you discontinue the link service? and then offer mere 0.004 cent per point? If the credit card carried no annual fee, perhaps, but 100+ annual fee from 2nd yr, while there are much better cards with huge returns? Yeah.. Yikes.
I just received the email, trying to figure it out as well. To me it seems like it is the former program, where you just linked another card to the rewards program (like I had), but that earned very little in terms of points, by my experience anyway.
Todd - that's correct. The free program we originally launched in 2019 which allows you to earn 1 point per dollar on your existing credit cards (say from Chase or Citibank) is being discontinued. Users can redeem their points in the catalog for some good values, but if you choose a cash-out the rate is $0.004.

We will continue to invest into the Grand Reserve World Mastercard program which is a great program and provides many more benefits. Points in the card program have a higher value and can be redeemed for wine as well.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

cjsavino

#128 Post by cjsavino »

Is there a problem with the website. Shows no transactions, balance, or my information when logged in.
Chris

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Won H. L e e »

correct, you were allowing this company to have free access to your data, in return for providing meager point. I signed up also because, heck google has all my info anyway. So grand reserve mined the data, likely spun that to sell for profit, and now are discontinuing that to force people to either lose point, or cash out at ridiculously low $per point, or get their credit card with crappy value. yay

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#130 Post by matthewgoldman »

cjsavino wrote: February 10th, 2021, 12:04 pm Is there a problem with the website. Shows no transactions, balance, or my information when logged in.
Yes, we are currently experiencing an outage with our underlying card processor and are currently working to resolve it.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#131 Post by matthewgoldman »

Won H. L e e wrote: February 10th, 2021, 12:44 pm

correct, you were allowing this company to have free access to your data, in return for providing meager point. I signed up also because, heck google has all my info anyway. So grand reserve mined the data, likely spun that to sell for profit, and now are discontinuing that to force people to either lose point, or cash out at ridiculously low $per point, or get their credit card with crappy value. yay
I do want to make clear that we do not sell user data. No profit was earned from the Grand Reserve Link program.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Kedar Dubhashi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by Kedar Dubhashi »

I am hoping the experts here would advise us on the thoughts below.

What are the best redemption values for GR Wine Points? Is it Chris' fantastic glasses, ProofLoyalty? Something else?

I missed the BD12 boat for spending. What expenses are you putting on this card?

Some point systems allow combining points across multiple accounts. I was wondering if our friend Won H. Lee might be allowed to combine points across multiple accounts into a single one. It would be a great selling point for the card and make Won happy.
Last edited by Kedar Dubhashi on February 11th, 2021, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Ken Strauss »

The jury is out!
I am not happy with the customer service so far.
I received the card in time to order for berserker day. Very happy about that. However the rewards have significantly changed.
Mathew has said the rewards will be updated. I await.
I tried to charge a valentines special with Flannery and was declined. Called customer service ...no record of transaction. This is not acceptable.

At this point I am ok because 1st year is free. However if this is the customer service to expect I will be a one year customer.

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Won H. L e e »

Kedar Dubhashi wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:09 pm I am hoping the experts here would advise us on the thoughts below.

What are the best redemption values for GR Wine Points? Is it Chris' fantastic glasses, ProofLoyalty? Something else?

I missed the BD12 boat for spending. What expenses are you putting on this card?

Some point systems allow combining points across multiple accounts. I was wondering if our friend Won H. Lee might be allowed to combine points across multiple accounts into a single one. It would be a great selling point for the card and make Won happy.

Best redemption value is to spend whatever points you have left and get out. The company just admitted that their point is valued at 0.004 cent per. They offer 5 points per dollar spent (thereby 2% return) on their partners, 1.2% return on other wineries, wine clubs, restaurants, deliveries, and 0.8% return on everywhere else, while charging $149 per year (After 1st yr). Heck, you can get Chase Sapphire preferred and get 2% return on all wineries, dining (including takeout) and still get 1% return on everywhere else, with annual fee of 99$. I can also explain why Amex Gold and Chase Reserve is better (Despite higher fees) but I don't want to expand into that.

Why would anyone even bother signing up for this card?

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Won H. L e e »

matthewgoldman wrote: February 10th, 2021, 12:53 pm

I do want to make clear that we do not sell user data. No profit was earned from the Grand Reserve Link program.
I want to make sure I heard you correct then. You have ran money losing business all this time prior to credit card program. That the ability to acquire partnership with wineries were NOT based on spending pattern analysis from your members or any of their personal data?

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#136 Post by matthewgoldman »

Won H. L e e wrote: February 11th, 2021, 4:18 pm
matthewgoldman wrote: February 10th, 2021, 12:53 pm

I want to make sure I heard you correct then. You have ran money losing business all this time prior to credit card program. That the ability to acquire partnership with wineries were NOT based on spending pattern analysis from your members or any of their personal data?
That's correct. We did not sell any personal information and are prohibited from doing so in our privacy policy. We were hopeful that the Grand Reserve Link program would grow and we would be able to provide offers to its members from our partner wineries. However, as many of our users have experienced, our ability to consistently download transactional data from third-party credit card companies, has been challenging. This is the primary reason we are sunsetting the program. The bank-connection technology is not reliable enough to provide a great experience to all users. In addition, many users did not want to use the Plaid interface to login to their bank.

In contrast, with our own card, we get all of the data directly from Mastercard. This enables us to consistently and properly reward points. Cardmembers are eligible both for the higher per transaction earning rates and for special offers from our partner wineries.
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Kedar Dubhashi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Kedar Dubhashi »

Won H. L e e wrote: February 11th, 2021, 4:17 pm
Kedar Dubhashi wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:09 pm I am hoping the experts here would advise us on the thoughts below.

Best redemption value is to spend whatever points you have left and get out. The company just admitted that their point is valued at 0.004 cent per. They offer 5 points per dollar spent (thereby 2% return) on their partners, 1.2% return on other wineries, wine clubs, restaurants, deliveries, and 0.8% return on everywhere else, while charging $149 per year (After 1st yr). Heck, you can get Chase Sapphire preferred and get 2% return on all wineries, dining (including takeout) and still get 1% return on everywhere else, with annual fee of 99$. I can also explain why Amex Gold and Chase Reserve is better (Despite higher fees) but I don't want to expand into that.

Won, I am not great at math as you are but I will try. :)

It's 5% with a partner + 2% with the merchant where you spent the most per billing statement.
It's 3% at wineries/wine.com etc + %2 just like above.

Done carefully, you would get 7% at a partner and 5% at wine.com per month -- which could net you 4.2 cents per dollar spent with a partner and 3 cents at wine.com. That beats Sapphire, IMHO. Also, beats Chase Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited which would give you 2.25 (1.5 x 1.5) cents per dollar spent. Let's not discount $550 yearly Reserve fees.

I have only scanned the catalog of goodies. Based on some examples, Riedel Sommelier glasses would give me .6 cents/point. ProofLoyalty is at .5 cents/point.

Hilton Honors program gives me .5 cents/point. So, this is in the ballpark for redemption, a little better actually.

I had not signed up for the previous program. I don't quite understand why you are so upset at .4 cents/point. It's not great like Hyatt at 1.8-2 cents/point but it's not too far off from Hilton. And it was for free!

My belief: this card would be useful for people who spend quite a bit on wines per year. If you spend $7500 per year at partners, you will come out ahead compared to Reserve. No?

Mike C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Mike C. »

matthewgoldman wrote: January 27th, 2021, 3:01 pm
Mike C. wrote: January 27th, 2021, 2:34 pm What happened to the wine scent kits on the reward page? I saw it last week as a redemption option before I applied but now they are all gone.
Temporary stock issues...some should re-appear shortly! We try not to show out of stock items.
I see that the 12-aroma kit is back but not the Le Nez du Vin or the 60-aroma master kit--will either of those two be coming back soon? Thanks in advance!
h@0

Brian Tuite

#139 Post by Brian Tuite »

D0833F64-EF00-4FD5-8D0E-4E5D477C1D08.png
champagne.gif
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

bradkaplan

#140 Post by bradkaplan »

Since we are all peppering Matthew with questions, I'm eager to use some points on two Grassl 6 packs - coming soon?

(I should add, I've been happy with everything thus far, sorry to hear others are having issues)
Last edited by bradkaplan on February 12th, 2021, 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bruce Rudman

#141 Post by Bruce Rudman »

Interesting mix of complaints here. I did not get my card until Wednesday (about 18 days after approval). In fact, I got an email that they had printing issues and extended the bonus period by 30 days due to the delay. Then on Wednesday I got two cards with two different numbers, one by snail mail and one by Fedex. Too late for most of the Spring buying season or Berserkerday, but I am happy with the Grassl glasses and will try out the card the next 90 days for the added points. I did not see Realm Cellars as a vendor so used a higher points card for that purchase though!
Bruce

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#142 Post by matthewgoldman »

For those of you who filled out Chris's Grassl survey for special 6 and 12 packs those are now available in the catalog. Look for the BD12 specials.

The catalog will continue to change, always. items come in and out of stock. Manufacturers discontinue items, etc. We're working to restock some additional items and you'll see quite a few more in the next week or so be added (some returns, some new).

For Kedar's math: the value of a point at ProofLoyalty (or anywhere else) in the catalog is a minimum of $0.006 per point. Some things are better deals than others. Some things are priceless (e.g. a winemaker dinner) and as we look to a more open world we hope to have more great experiences for you all to enjoy.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

bradkaplan

#143 Post by bradkaplan »

Thanks Matthew - I just placed an order but honestly don't recall what my filled out form indicated I wanted! I PM'd Chris to clarify what I would like, but if there's a better way to do that, please let us know.

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#144 Post by matthewgoldman »

bradkaplan wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:11 am Thanks Matthew - I just placed an order but honestly don't recall what my filled out form indicated I wanted! I PM'd Chris to clarify what I would like, but if there's a better way to do that, please let us know.
Great. Chris will be in touch on fulfillment for these special orders!
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

My sign-up bonus hasn't come through yet, but while I wait I only see the one BD12 special in the catalog - 75k for 12 stems. I filled out the survey for the half-deal at 37.5K for 6, will that be appearing soon?

Thanks!

matthewgoldman
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#146 Post by matthewgoldman »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:42 am My sign-up bonus hasn't come through yet, but while I wait I only see the one BD12 special in the catalog - 75k for 12 stems. I filled out the survey for the half-deal at 37.5K for 6, will that be appearing soon?

Thanks!
If you choose "Show Options" on the BD12 special you will see 37,500 for 6 option and 75,000 for 12 option. It's like t-shirt sizes, just pick the correct one and add to cart.
These users thanked the author matthewgoldman for the post:
D@ve D y r 0 f f
Grand Reserve Card
Matthew Goldman

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#147 Post by Won H. L e e »

Kedar Dubhashi wrote: February 11th, 2021, 6:00 pm

It's 5% with a partner + 2% with the merchant where you spent the most per billing statement.

Done carefully, you would get 7% at a partner and 5% at wine.com per month -- which could net you 4.2 cents per dollar spent with a partner and 3 cents at wine.com. That beats Sapphire, IMHO. Also, beats Chase Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited which would give you 2.25 (1.5 x 1.5) cents per dollar spent. Let's not discount $550 yearly Reserve fees.

I have only scanned the catalog of goodies. Based on some examples, Riedel Sommelier glasses would give me .6 cents/point. ProofLoyalty is at .5 cents/point.

Hilton Honors program gives me .5 cents/point. So, this is in the ballpark for redemption, a little better actually.

I had not signed up for the previous program. I don't quite understand why you are so upset at .4 cents/point. It's not great like Hyatt at 1.8-2 cents/point but it's not too far off from Hilton. And it was for free!

My belief: this card would be useful for people who spend quite a bit on wines per year. If you spend $7500 per year at partners, you will come out ahead compared to Reserve. No?

except that's not how math works. Not all points are created equal, and GRW has specified that each point is worth 0.4 cents. Therefore, you get 7 POINTS (not dollars) at the max category listed above. 7 pts *.4 cents = 2.1 cents per dollar spend. and much less elsewhere. You may get a slightly better value by aiming for specific rewards as specified, but it isn't much.

Chase reserve is priced at $450 (they don't plan to increase the cost). but you get $300 back each year, anything that is considered a travel, including hotel/flight/rental car, so it's more of $150 per yr. + more benefit than what this card offers.
Also, YMMV but many wineries I have purchased counted as dining/travel, and thereby being credited with 3 points per dollar spent; heck even garagiste wine was considered food/drink purchase, and thereby earning 3 points. Each chase pt could be valued at 1.5 cent, so that's 4.5% return. What's better option then?

Look, I am not flaming their old program. I was a fan, signed up, enjoyed it. I get it that they don't make much $$ off of it compare to the credit card, but to give customer only short notice with expiration, so take it or leave it is what left bad taste in my mouth. It felt like they were trying to hook people onto service, and then switch bait to credit card.

Eric Z.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Eric Z. »

Won H. L e e wrote: February 12th, 2021, 1:14 pm

except that's not how math works. Not all points are created equal, and GRW has specified that each point is worth 0.4 cents. Therefore, you get 7 POINTS (not dollars) at the max category listed above. 7 pts *.4 cents = 2.1 cents per dollar spend. and much less elsewhere. You may get a slightly better value by aiming for specific rewards as specified, but it isn't much.

Chase reserve is priced at $450 (they don't plan to increase the cost). but you get $300 back each year, anything that is considered a travel, including hotel/flight/rental car, so it's more of $150 per yr. + more benefit than what this card offers.
Also, YMMV but many wineries I have purchased counted as dining/travel, and thereby being credited with 3 points per dollar spent; heck even garagiste wine was considered food/drink purchase, and thereby earning 3 points. Each chase pt could be valued at 1.5 cent, so that's 4.5% return. What's better option then?

Look, I am not flaming their old program. I was a fan, signed up, enjoyed it. I get it that they don't make much $$ off of it compare to the credit card, but to give customer only short notice with expiration, so take it or leave it is what left bad taste in my mouth. It felt like they were trying to hook people onto service, and then switch bait to credit card.
CSR actually did bump up their price to $550 in Jan 2020 and if you open up a browser to apply it says $550. They clawed it back with a $100 statement credit upon renewal for a time and just expanded that for another wave of those who are set to renew. Does skew your math a bit but I am a fanatic about credit card points as my wife and I have traveled the world for free so yes I'd take CSR or Amex MR over points in any specific sector. Not bashing this product but its why I do not collect United Miles or Delta Miles but you collect transferrable currency so when someone changes the game, you go elsewhere. Here - the game changed it seems and you are now in their new program without much options.

I am sure there is a break even point if you spend a lot with the select wineries you'll come out ahead. If you are truly into the points game you likely have more than 1 piece of plastic in your wallet any given time!
These users thanked the author Eric Z. for the post:
Dan Hammer
Z l o t o g u r a

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by Won H. L e e »

Eric Z. wrote: February 12th, 2021, 1:22 pm

CSR actually did bump up their price to $550 in Jan 2020 and if you open up a browser to apply it says $550. They clawed it back with a $100 statement credit upon renewal for a time and just expanded that for another wave of those who are set to renew. Does skew your math a bit but I am a fanatic about credit card points as my wife and I have traveled the world for free so yes I'd take CSR or Amex MR over points in any specific sector. Not bashing this product but its why I do not collect United Miles or Delta Miles but you collect transferrable currency so when someone changes the game, you go elsewhere. Here - the game changed it seems and you are now in their new program without much options.

I am sure there is a break even point if you spend a lot with the select wineries you'll come out ahead. If you are truly into the points game you likely have more than 1 piece of plastic in your wallet any given time!
I am with you on the mile/point gaming world. I miss the days when I could go on mileage runs (although should i miss em?). Yes CSR did bump it to $550, but following onset of pandemic, they backed off and 2021 are gonna renew at $450. I am actually considering moving away from CSR to either citi or amex gold. CSR need to reposition itself. Nevertheless, my complaint was more than what was offered for this credit card. Rather that it felt ingenuine that they rushed people last (2020) berkserkerday to sign up for their reward system, only to drop it with short notice; take-it-or-leave-it kind of proposition is what frustrated me.

Kedar Dubhashi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Kedar Dubhashi »

I think you are still missing something here. Yes, I understand that the cashback value of the expiring program is 0.4. However, redemption value for something like Riedel Sommelier is 0.6. So, 7 x 0.6 is 4.2.

In the interest of learning, how do you know beforehand that CSR would give you 3% at a winery before you make the charge?

Also, on the point of the previous program -- why not redeem whatever points you have from the old program for something you want? Whatever is left is likely too insignificant even if you were to get 0.4 cents/point.

Return to “BerserkerDay 12 (Jan 27, 2021) "The Black Friday of Wine Commerce" - Forbes”