UPDATE VELETA GOURMETS / IT’S ARRIVED SHIPPING INFO!!

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. #BD12
Forum rules
Forum rules
Not 'Rules', necessarily, but here's how BerserkerDay goes:

I'll be launching offers in groups of 8-10, in increments of 30 minutes. Sponsors will stay pegged at the top of the forum all day, each new group of offers will come in at the top with them for their launch grouping, cycling into the 'normal' thread after their launch time has passed, with a new launch group posted atop the thread thereafter. Discussion is encouraged, as posting replies moves the thread up to the top of the grouping, whether that is during launch time group or the 'regular' forum.

Keep checking in every 30 minutes for new offers being posted, and keep scrolling down to see everything that has been launched throughout the timeframe in which you've been on the forum, which hopefully is ALL DAY
Sh@n A

Re: UPDATE VELETA GOURMETS / IT’S ARRIVED SHIPPING INFO!!

#201 Post by Sh@n A »

Have both vintages now, will have to do a side by side
/ @ g r @ \

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#202 Post by JonathanG »

I've already worked through all but 3 of my tinned seafood, I just can't resist that stuff . Those mussels were just phenomenal. How many more days till the next BD?
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

Nola Palomar
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#203 Post by Nola Palomar »

JonathanG wrote: April 30th, 2021, 9:39 pm I've already worked through all but 3 of my tinned seafood, I just can't resist that stuff . Those mussels were just phenomenal. How many more days till the next BD?
My website is open year round!!! flirtysmile
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

JonathanG
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#204 Post by JonathanG »

Nola Palomar wrote: May 1st, 2021, 5:19 am
JonathanG wrote: April 30th, 2021, 9:39 pm I've already worked through all but 3 of my tinned seafood, I just can't resist that stuff . Those mussels were just phenomenal. How many more days till the next BD?
My website is open year round!!! flirtysmile
I'm sure once I make my paella and get through the last few tins, I'll be coming back for more. Just too good to not have some of these around the house.
J0|\|@+h@|\| Gr@h/\/\/-\|\||\|

Steven Pumilia

#205 Post by Steven Pumilia »

Happy to have received my shipment of EVOO and conservas....
But upset that I did not order more Sardines..... What was I thinking?

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#206 Post by Anton D »

Steven Pumilia wrote: May 1st, 2021, 3:11 pm Happy to have received my shipment of EVOO and conservas....
But upset that I did not order more Sardines..... What was I thinking?
Ditto!

We hit the sardines last night and even my SIL who 'hates' sardines fell in love with these babies.

Tonight, we feast on the tuna, tuna belly, mackerel, mussels, and an olive oil tasting!
Last edited by Anton D on May 3rd, 2021, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by T Welch »

We are loving the 2021 olive oil and the mussels a couple of days ago were very tasty.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#208 Post by Anton D »

So, we hit the product!

1) The sardines beat all comers from the brands we could grab at local stores. Clear and decisive victory.

2) The mackerel was a home run. I was under the impression that I don't like mackerel until I tried the Veleta: mild and complex and creamy and delicious.

3) Tuna belly was the equal of the mackerel.

4) The mussels made for interesting discussion!

The Bay Leaf was a significant flavor component. I also felt the flavor to be slightly reminiscent of Ordoki Mandrágora. (https://www.alandia.de/liquor-mandrake-mandragora.html)

The younger people flipped for them, my 23 year old son is a mussel head and just couldn't stop savoring them. I am 61 and when I was a kid some medicines were heavily "Bay Leaf" flavored, which my brain perceived as a medicinal taste. My 91 year old MIL said the same, independently! The texture was perfect, it just took a moment for my brain to disconnect from distant experience. The younger people had no similar history and greatly enjoyed these!

5) The Veleta olive oil won our mini blind tasting. We compared to California Olive Ranch oils: their blended oil and their Arbequina. (They have been working to fill the gap left when Lucero stopped doing business.) All three are delicious, with great acid balance. The blend came in third, it was a light style. Some tasters preferred the Arbequina to the Veleta, but it was razor close....my wife and I preferred the Veleta....all three were tasted with fresh and then lightly toasted ciabatta pieces.

I left the specific bottling info at home, but we tasted with 2017 Ceritas and 2017 Aubert chards and both had the structure and acidity to withstand the onslaught of fish and oil. We were very happy with the wine matches.

All in all, this was a total home run by Veleta on BD!!!!
Last edited by Anton D on May 5th, 2021, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Joe Chanley »

thanks Anton

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#210 Post by Anton D »

Joe Chanley wrote: May 5th, 2021, 11:32 am thanks Anton
[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

Nola Palomar
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#211 Post by Nola Palomar »

Anton D wrote: May 5th, 2021, 10:23 am So, we hit the product!

1) The sardines beat all comers from the brands we could grab at local stores. Clear and decisive victory.

2) The mackerel was a home run. I was under the impression that I don't like mackerel until I tried the Veleta: mild and complex and creamy and delicious.

3) Tuna belly was the equal of the mackerel.

4) The mussels made for interesting discussion!

The Bay Leaf was a significant flavor component. I also felt them flavor to be slightly reminiscent of Ordoki Mandrágora. (https://www.alandia.de/liquor-mandrake-mandragora.html)

The younger people flipped for them, my 23 year old son is a mussel head and just couldn't stop savoring them. I am 61 and when I was a kid some medicines were heavily "Bay Leaf" flavored, which my brain perceived as a medicinal taste. My 91 year old MIL said the same, independently! The texture was perfect, it just took a moment for my brain to disconnect from distant experience. The younger people had no similar history and greatly enjoyed these!

5) The Veleta olive oil won our mini blind tasting. We compared to California Olive Ranch oils: their blended oil and their Arbequina. (They have been working to fill the gap left when Lucero stopped doing business.) All three are delicious, with great acid balance. The blend came in third, it was a light style. Some tasters preferred the Arbequina to the Veleta, but it was razor close....my wife and I preferred the Veleta....all three were tasted with fresh and then lightly toasted ciabatta pieces.

I left the specific bottling info at home, but we tasted with 2017 Ceritas and 2017 Aubert chards and both had the structure and acidity to withstand the onslaught of fish and oil. We were very happy with the wine matches.

All in all, this was a total home run by Veleta on BD!!!!

What a special tasting!! Thank you!!
I needed a little pick me up today! flirtysmile

We were at a car dealership in Almeria once waiting on one of the cars to be repaired and at the bar in the waiting area they served us potato chips with mussels placed on and about the chips. They also drizzled the vinaigrette over the chips. Very yummy!!

The mackerel used to be 1/4 the the price of the tuna. They are just a pricey now. There is a fish from the Mediterranean called Melva de Canutera which is an amazing type of mackerel. If I’m able to get to Spain this summer I will try to source some to import. It used to come only in a large can of about 1 - 2kg. We would open it and leave the olive oil, put it in the frig and just take out what we wanted little by little. The Spaniards would not bother to put it in a separate container with a lid, just left it in the can with the oil.

Veleta EVOO is made from Lechin de Granada olives, they are small olives and are harvested predominantly ripe vs many other varieties of olives that can be machine harvested when green. My oil is a softer sweeter type of oil. It is very malleable and is able to be used in a wide variety of dishes as well as just alone with bread or with you favorite salad.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by T Welch »

Nola Palomar wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:48 pm
We were at a car dealership in Almeria once waiting on one of the cars to be repaired and at the bar in the waiting area they served us potato chips with mussels placed on and about the chips. They also drizzled the vinaigrette over the chips. Very yummy!!
Yep, we served the mussels on potato chips and loved them!
T*R*U*E*T*T

Return to “BerserkerDay 12 (Jan 27, 2021) "The Black Friday of Wine Commerce" - Forbes”