BerserkerDay 12 Master Thread/FAQ

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. #BD12
Forum rules
Forum rules
Not 'Rules', necessarily, but here's how BerserkerDay goes:

I'll be launching offers in groups of 8-10, in increments of 30 minutes. Sponsors will stay pegged at the top of the forum all day, each new group of offers will come in at the top with them for their launch grouping, cycling into the 'normal' thread after their launch time has passed, with a new launch group posted atop the thread thereafter. Discussion is encouraged, as posting replies moves the thread up to the top of the grouping, whether that is during launch time group or the 'regular' forum.

Keep checking in every 30 minutes for new offers being posted, and keep scrolling down to see everything that has been launched throughout the timeframe in which you've been on the forum, which hopefully is ALL DAY
Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: BerserkerDay 12 Master Thread/FAQ

#51 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 1st, 2020, 1:05 pm This year's big 'feature' will be a big handful of recommended/member-suggested wineries that have never-before participated - prepare to spend more than you ever have!
I like this and it feels like a good thing. New wineries/producers/participants I always feel are in a tough spot. The sponsors are the sponsors, that has its privileges and it's fair. Then there are the forum darlings that draw attention because there's a track record/history that's respected and that's fair (usually overlaps with sponsors). for me, year over year there's always a tranche I just don't know; so having some measure of the "been around the block" members recommending why its a buy to them would help. Should be linked/attached to the producer/offer or somehow represented such that its easy to connect the dots.

This helps break the ice and builds the base more. Win/win.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Max S. »

I may have taken a day or two off work so I can properly research...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

M i k e C

#53 Post by M i k e C »

I joined as I was researching wine fridges, and I had no idea about Berserker Day. But now I think I'm at least going to have to buy some Grassl glasses (which I have also been reading about here). This site might have been a dangerous discovery!
© |-| u

S. Rash

#54 Post by S. Rash »

I'm excited! This will be my first Berserker Day
2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Scott Brunson »

M i k e C wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:17 pm I joined as I was researching wine fridges, and I had no idea about Berserker Day. But now I think I'm at least going to have to buy some Grassl glasses (which I have also been reading about here). This site might have been a dangerous discovery!
Welcome to the monkey house [wink.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Michael Martin »

There are wines I was introduced to on BD that are now staples in our house so the cost of BD just keeps on giving and giving.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Nate Simon »

S. Rash wrote: December 31st, 2020, 12:47 pm I'm excited! This will be my first Berserker Day
Prepare yourself, check your credit limits, start smoothing things over with the spouse.

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Luca Giupponi »

Nate Simon wrote: January 1st, 2021, 4:00 pm
Prepare yourself, check your credit limits, start smoothing things over with the spouse.
“Honey, I’m not buying any wine at all January through March.... except this thing on this one day...”

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

My wife is already excited for our Flannery reload.
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Michael O'Brien »

Too bad wine purchases don't qualify for multiples on any card I have - 3x or 4x would be nice.
PlanoWino

JDVanHoose
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by JDVanHoose »

Michael O'Brien wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:25 am Too bad wine purchases don't qualify for multiples on any card I have - 3x or 4x would be nice.
I like the way you think! Of course some cards give up to 5x for gift card purchases, including Visa or MC gift cards, which can theoretically be used anywhere... I just discovered WB and am looking forward to Berserker Day 12👍🏻
Cheers from James [cheers.gif]

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#62 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:22 pm
Dave McIsaac wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:28 pm For newbies......If you get your spend going a bit, expect a call(s) from your bank concerning fraudulent purchases.

I may call my bank in advance to give them a heads-up........
Sage advice and yes, listen to this man. That can be a yearly thing. My personal best was 3 credit cards contacting me with a WTF

Side note, if you plan to go Berserk, use a card that gives you points or cash back, gaming them like I do to max value. Some cards are better at this than others, and/or have maximums to navigate with a good strategy. Its a consolation prize when the bill comes in and your wife looks at you, again, with WTF.
We've got a special offer coming up this year for BerserkerDay that many might be interested in, with regards to credit cards...stay tuned
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#63 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Brian S t o t t e r wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:46 am My wife is already excited for our Flannery reload.
Like I told you...once we got you off that Omaha Steaks b.s. into REAL beef, you'd be hooked!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#64 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

More info will start to come out today, mostly on the back end for those making offers, as soon as I catch up on everything...

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by PeterH »

Michael O'Brien wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:25 am Too bad wine purchases don't qualify for multiples on any card I have - 3x or 4x would be nice.
Did you know that merchants pay higher processing fees for cards that give high rewards? They generally are willing to pay the higher fees, because the rewards induce higher spending. Still, few consumers are really aware of how the game works.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Michael O'Brien »

PeterH wrote: January 4th, 2021, 10:01 am
Did you know that merchants pay higher processing fees for cards that give high rewards? They generally are willing to pay the higher fees, because the rewards induce higher spending. Still, few consumers are really aware of how the game works.
Yes I did. I should have used some emoticons to show that my comment was tongue-in-cheek. It was really about how much I spend.
PlanoWino

Bob W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Bob W »

Really curious to see how this all works! I read back through one of the archived years to get a feel, but I don't think I'll really "get it" until I participate. Here's to new shenanigans! [cheers.gif]
W i n d e l

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Rodrigo B »

Excited to be participating for the first time as a Berserker and not a lurker.

What’s at the top of everyone’s list of purchases for BD?
B r @ g @

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Max S. »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 4th, 2021, 4:49 pm Excited to be participating for the first time as a Berserker and not a lurker.

Goodfellow, Sabelli Frisch, Kelley Fox, and Patricia Green - will ultimately come down to whether they participate (sounds like Goodfellow is) and what the offers are. Also keeping an eye out for Halcon, Wilde Farm, any Oregon offers, and Scherrer.
5 w 0 m l 3 y

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by TGigante »

Rodrigo B wrote: January 4th, 2021, 4:49 pm Excited to be participating for the first time as a Berserker and not a lurker.

The top of the list is endless. Doing this for 5 years and haven’t had many disappointments
Jean Edwards is always a buy
Vincent is solid up and down the lineup
Franny Beck
Harrington in their finale this year
Goodfellow chards are at the top for me
Sandler is one of the best deals
Maison Harbour for a burg fix
So many more
Cheers,
Tony

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Michael Martin »

Every year there are a few small producers that stand out with unique offerings. I found West of Temperance’s Aglianico bottlings a few years ago, Virage and her right bank Bordeaux style blends, Sabelli Frisch with wines from another planet last year. I look for these. I can always find wine for X% off. I want something I can’t find elsewhere.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Charlie Carnes »

Heck yes Im excited!!!
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Ken Strauss »

Yes!
Every year I discover a new great producer.
Last year Kelley Fox.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Dan_Fusco
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Dan_Fusco »

Last year was my 1st BD. I had no idea what to expect and was completely overwhelmed. Glad I signed up for GCC so I can at least have a heads up and put together some type of game plan for the 27th.

I also agree with what Michael said above. A few of the producers I purchased from during BD11 have become staples in my cellar.

Bob W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Bob W »

So probably a dumb question, but "putting together a game plan" = googling (or searching here) every winery that's participating? Or is there more to it than that?
W i n d e l

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Nate Simon »

Obviously no way to know if past wineries will be participating this year. Some memorable buys/discoveries have included:
Sandler (always, every year, no-brainer)
Wilde Farm
Terragena (surprising Riesling)
Scherrer
Balanced Wine Selections
Princess & Peasant (awesome Carignan)
Sabelli-Frisch
Terrien
Cabot
Last edited by Nate Simon on January 5th, 2021, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Nate Simon »

Bob Windel wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:17 am So probably a dumb question, but "putting together a game plan" = googling (or searching here) every winery that's participating? Or is there more to it than that?
You can't Google that. You can look at past years on the Board, but no way to know if those wineries are participating again, and also no way to know what new folks are participating.
If your Grand Cru membership is current, you'll get to participate in some early offers, and also get a preview of the whole list of participants. That's your best chance at making a game plan.
Of course, the game plan inevitably gets thrown out the window. champagne.gif

Bob W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Bob W »

Nate Simon wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:20 am
Bob Windel wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:17 am So probably a dumb question, but "putting together a game plan" = googling (or searching here) every winery that's participating? Or is there more to it than that?
You can't Google that. You can look at past years on the Board, but no way to know if those wineries are participating again, and also no way to know what new folks are participating.
If your Grand Cru membership is current, you'll get to participate in some early offers, and also get a preview of the whole list of participants. That's your best chance at making a game plan.
Yeah I meant google the wineries that are participating once the preview list is out.
W i n d e l

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Rodrigo B »

Aside from figuring out which of the usually recurring BD participants you want to buy if there are offers, there’s also preview day as Nate described. Other thing I’d recommend doing is setting a budget for your spending that day. Though all your planning (and budget) will go out the window.
B r @ g @

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Nate Simon »

Bob Windel wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:26 am
Yeah I meant google the wineries that are participating once the preview list is out.
Sure, that's a viable option. Laborious, though, and the web site/Google results may or may not give you the info you'd want. Some of the producers are quite small and might not have a big web "footprint."

Berserker feedback/recommendations are often very helpful. A Board search might be more efficient than a broader web search.

I try to split it up 3 ways:
Wineries I know I like and want more of.
Wineries I've heard good things about but never tried.
Wineries I never heard of, never tried, but the offer sounds good.

In other words, regarding the wineries I'm unfamiliar with, some of my most enjoyable purchases have been when I don't overthink it and just go for it if I like what I'm seeing.

Adam Mintz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Adam Mintz »

Noob question (first Berserker Day coming up). When an offer is released do you claim it by replying in the thread or is there a direct link or coupon code posted that you then activate?

Are some of these offers capped at a certain number of redemptions?

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#82 Post by Nola Palomar »

Adam Mintz wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:39 am Noob question (first Berserker Day coming up). When an offer is released do you claim it by replying in the thread or is there a direct link or coupon code posted that you then activate?

Hi Adam, it just depends. Venture to the Berserday Archives and look at last year's event. You'll get a good idea of how it works. Note all the SOLD OUT items. If you want it, don't delay, it is a feeding frenzy! [wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif]
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Nate Simon »

Adam Mintz wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:39 am Noob question (first Berserker Day coming up). When an offer is released do you claim it by replying in the thread or is there a direct link or coupon code posted that you then activate?

All offers are limited in some way. It may be stated in specific numbers (e.g. only 30 cases available), or just "when it's gone, it's gone." Purchases may or may not be limited to the individual buyer.
Participants will sometimes change the offer during the day. For example, if demand is high, they may increase the available wine quantity, or may add other things not in the initial offer. So, worth checking back periodically.
Offers are claimed in different ways, at the discretion of the seller. Could be a direct web link, a page on their web site, a coupon code, or just an email to the seller.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Nate Simon »

Nola Palomar wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:50 am

Hi Adam, it just depends. Venture to the Berserday Archives and look at last year's event. You'll get a good idea of how it works. Note all the SOLD OUT items. If you want it, don't delay, it is a feeding frenzy! [wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif]
Definitely, looking at the archived pages from last year will provide a ton of useful info for new folk.

Adam Mintz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Adam Mintz »

Thank you Nola and Nate for answering my questions! Now I see why there is talk about having a "strategy" on BD and doing some initial planning. [cheers.gif]

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#86 Post by Nola Palomar »

Adam Mintz wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:54 am Thank you Nola and Nate for answering my questions! Now I see why there is talk about having a "strategy" on BD and doing some initial planning. [cheers.gif]
Absolutely, but be prepared for surprises too!! Don't venture too far away from your computer.... [berserker.gif]
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Luca Giupponi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Luca Giupponi »

I've been trying to come up with a shortlist based on recommendations on this board but at this point it's getting as long as the number of offers on the BDXI forum pileon

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Michael Martin »

There’s no game planning for BD day. There’s no sanity. There’s no restraint. There’s certainly is no budget. It’s BERSERKER DAY!

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Dan Hammer »

Bob Windel wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:26 am
I spend some time on Cellartracker researching some of the new wines/wineries that are offered. January 26 will be a busy day.
This space for rent.

Adam Mintz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Adam Mintz »

Nola Palomar wrote: January 5th, 2021, 10:20 am
Adam Mintz wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:54 am Thank you Nola and Nate for answering my questions! Now I see why there is talk about having a "strategy" on BD and doing some initial planning. [cheers.gif]
Absolutely, but be prepared for surprises too!! Don't venture too far away from your computer.... [berserker.gif]
Just took a look at the archives from last year's BD. You weren't kidding when you said don't leave your computer!

Really happy I'm joined GCC to help me game plan because it's gonna be madness.

I'm already looking forward to getting more Grassl glasses and maybe pick up a Zalto from Chris at CJF.

Thanks again for helping me make sense of BD!

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#91 Post by larry schaffer »

Bob,

I know lots of others have answered, but as you can tell, there is no one way to 'prepare' for this completely - just as there is no one way to describe any wine [snort.gif] neener [wow.gif]

Look at the archives but note that this year may indeed be different based on where wineries are at during COVID times. You might find wineries not willing to part with as much in the past discount-wise or quantity-wise whereas others are flush with wines they are trying to move.

Watch for wineries with limited numbers of packages being made available - they usually sell out or get close to selling out on the day before BD - which is why it is a good idea to join GCC.

Also, consider supporting those wineries that remain active on here year round (just a plug for those of us who actually ARE a part of the WB community).

Good luck, my friend and I hope it's a fantastic day for you!

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#92 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Here is a good guideline:

1) set a budget, then laugh at yourself for being so stupid, and throw it out
2) look at the archives from the forum list, check out the most recent BerserkerDay (11) and ASSUME many/most are participating again
3) join GCC (if you aren't already) as they get to see ALL offers the day before, and do some planning, and buy from BerserkerBusinesses on Preview Day (there will be instructions about each, no worries) Another advantage of this is that you don't blow it all early, then regret doing so when other, later offers are launched! (again, GCC doesn't worry about this as they will see them all ahead of time, AND there will be some special GCC-only offers/extra discounts)
4) again laugh at yourself for being so stupid as to create a budget
5) participate in the threads/offers - chat with the winemaker, etc! It makes it so much more fun this way!
6) consider forum-favorites, but also look for the new discoveries, the Newbies that might BECOME forum-favorites one day! All the FFs started somewhere!

I will be sending out a 'prepare for it!' Private Message 10 days before, and then a separate launch PM for GCC members on Preview Day, then another forum-wide PM on BerserkerDay. You'll notice the number of people on the site goes through the freakin' roof that day.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Siun o'Connell »

I find the comments from other Berserkers the best “research” and the ohwhathehell purchases I’ve made each BD some of my lasting favorites! Don’t overthink but I definitely look first to the wineries that are part of our community — and happily they are some of the very best on offer.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Dan Hammer »

One last thing, save some $$ for the auctions. You may even win a bid or two. [whistle.gif]
This space for rent.

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

Bob, Adam,

Pro tip: you will need a separate budget for non-wine items. [wow.gif]
You don't want to miss Nola's olive oil and other Spanish delights. flirtysmile If you like aged tempranillo, her Veleta wines are great qpr's.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#96 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Dan Hammer wrote: January 5th, 2021, 2:04 pm One last thing, save some $$ for the auctions. You may even win a bid or two. [whistle.gif]
OMG YES, PLEASE!

Bob W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Bob W »

larry schaffer wrote: January 5th, 2021, 1:00 pm Bob,

I know lots of others have answered, but as you can tell, there is no one way to 'prepare' for this completely - just as there is no one way to describe any wine [snort.gif] neener [wow.gif]

Look at the archives but note that this year may indeed be different based on where wineries are at during COVID times. You might find wineries not willing to part with as much in the past discount-wise or quantity-wise whereas others are flush with wines they are trying to move.

Watch for wineries with limited numbers of packages being made available - they usually sell out or get close to selling out on the day before BD - which is why it is a good idea to join GCC.

Also, consider supporting those wineries that remain active on here year round (just a plug for those of us who actually ARE a part of the WB community).

Good luck, my friend and I hope it's a fantastic day for you!

Cheers
Thanks Larry! Really appreciate it!

Todd F r e n c h wrote: January 5th, 2021, 1:07 pm Here is a good guideline:

1) set a budget, then laugh at yourself for being so stupid, and throw it out
Hahaha! This is the greatest thing I’ve read all day. I’m terrible with sticking to budgets with everything else in life, so why would this be any different? At least I know in advance this time! :)

Stephen Faulkner wrote: January 5th, 2021, 2:50 pm Bob, Adam,

Pro tip: you will need a separate budget for non-wine items. [wow.gif]
While perusing last year's BD I saw STEAKS were up for grabs and immediately thought, "ohh boy, I'm in trouble."
W i n d e l

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by TGigante »

And not just wine
Nola always puts together a great package of top quality EVOO, Sherry Vinegar, tuna, sardine and other fish tins. I had a tin of sardines last night with some pasta. Definitely upper echelon product
Cheers,
Tony

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by robert creth »

My view about budget is to figure my total year’s number and allow B-Day to be up to 50%. I play early on favorites and load up on unknown-to-me late in the game. I agree with the specialty foods suggestions, some greats stuff there.

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by TGigante »

robert creth wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:05 pm My view about budget is to figure my total year’s number and allow B-Day to be up to 50%. I play early on favorites and load up on unknown-to-me late in the game. I agree with the specialty foods suggestions, some greats stuff there.
Solid strategy
Cheers,
Tony

Return to “BerserkerDay 12 (Jan 27, 2021) "The Black Friday of Wine Commerce" - Forbes”