BerserkerDay 12 Master Thread/FAQ

Warm up your credit cards and come on in, as here is where you will find all the BerserkerDay offers - open to EVERYONE who loves wine. Apologize to your spouse or significant other ahead of time. #BD12
Forum rules
Forum rules
Not 'Rules', necessarily, but here's how BerserkerDay goes:

I'll be launching offers in groups of 8-10, in increments of 30 minutes. Sponsors will stay pegged at the top of the forum all day, each new group of offers will come in at the top with them for their launch grouping, cycling into the 'normal' thread after their launch time has passed, with a new launch group posted atop the thread thereafter. Discussion is encouraged, as posting replies moves the thread up to the top of the grouping, whether that is during launch time group or the 'regular' forum.

Keep checking in every 30 minutes for new offers being posted, and keep scrolling down to see everything that has been launched throughout the timeframe in which you've been on the forum, which hopefully is ALL DAY
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

BerserkerDay 12 Master Thread/FAQ

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

This will be the principal thread for all discussions related to BerserkerDay 12 #BD12 - a buying extravaganza unrivaled in any other wine community, anywhere. One day (two, if including the Grand Cru Crü Advance Purchase Day) where over $750,000 in wine and wine-related goods are sold to eager wine lovers throughout this community. (ANOTHER new record set last year!) This year's big 'feature' will be a big handful of recommended/member-suggested wineries that have never-before participated - prepare to spend more than you ever have!

First of all, BerserkerDay (full history posted below) is a celebration of the founding of this amazing and vibrant community of wine lovers around the world, and it started on the first anniversary of our founding, 12 years ago. The idea is to have a day-long celebration by introducing wine and wine-related products to the community at large, at deals that you CANNOT find elsewhere, primarily because those making the offer are so small that they don't have 'sales'. It's a fantastic way to introduce yourself to some new small wineries, in particular, and I can attest - as can thousands of others who have bought on BerserkerDay - that I've found some of my favorite producers this way.

How does BerserkerDay work?

Anybody - registered member or not - can view the BerserkerDay subforum (where you are now) and the offers that wineries, retailers, and other wine-related product sellers will have posted. It starts approximately 7:30 am PST on January 27th, and each offer will have its own thread. I will be posting them in chunks of approximately 10, in intervals of approximately 20-30 minutes. Threads from prior launch groups will NOT bump to the top of the forum when replies are made, preserving the current launch group's space 'in line', pegging that launch group at the top. One exception: the Sponsors of BerserkerDay (back by popular demand, as those who were Sponsors last year want very much to do it again!) will have their listings pegged at the top of the BerserkerDay forum for the entire day. It should be a small group.

Discussion - as always - is HIGHLY encouraged. That's part of the fun! Share this event with your friends, on your social media accounts! Our Twitter handle is @WineBerserkers for those that tweet, and the more you share, the more fun we ALL have here!! I want to see some tagging on Facebook and Twitter, folks!
(Offers are made by the wineries, businesses, retailers, etc, and each offer has its own specific order parameters, which will be outlined in the offer itself. Wine Berserkers does not take any orders, has no e-commerce capabilities, nor licenses to sell wine, so each offer posted will have the directions on how to order)

Categories, specific to BD12: Last year we had just two categories - Newbies and Sponsors - and we'll repeat the same this year, as it worked beautifully.

Newbies have been featured the last few years, and it's important to highlight them a bit because BerserkerDay is such madness, they easily and quickly get lost in the shuffle. We've had features/bios on them in the past, and I'm hoping we can do the same this year, with a separate 'Newbie Intros' subforum, as has been done in the past, giving the buying public a few days to look in on these newcomers to BerserkerDay.

Sponsors - Sponsors this year receive the pegged listing, keeping them atop BerserkerDay forum for the entire event. The topic icons for the Sponsors will be the following: Image

Preview Day/Early Purchase Offers

On January 26th, Tuesday, Grand Cru Crü members will have access to the Pre-Launch forum to see ALL the offers, and plan their buying strategies. NO PURCHASES CAN BE MADE FROM THAT FORUM, and violators stand to lose the ability to participate in future BerserkerDays. There are, however, 'Early Purchase Offers', wherein BerserkerBusiness members, in a separate forum, can sell their offer on the same day as Preview Day, Jan 26th. Only Grand Cru Crü members will have access to Preview Day and Early Purchase Offers, everybody else (guests and registered members) will be eligible on Jan 27th. Both will be open around the same time

Auctions

Auctions will commence around noon, finishing in at 8pm Pacific. Save some money for auctions, as many of our participating wineries and businesses offer auction items to the community, as thanks for the benefits they get during BerserkerDay, since there is no cost to participate (there is no cost to participate because this maximizes the discounts offered to the community! Rather than take a percentage of sales, the auctions are the way to financially support the community, throughout the year, and are a lot more fun than taking a slice from the deals being offered!)

2020 sucked like no other year, so let's hope BerserkerDay 12 sets us all off on an amazing year filled once again with wine and friends, getting together and enjoying our passion with one another

HISTORY OF BERSERKERDAY:

WHAT IS BERSERKERDAY??

For those who do not know, BerserkerDay was named for the day it was founded at its current location on the web - January 27 - with the URL wineberserkers.com. Each year, on the 27th, I invite wineries, retailers, and other peddlers of the wine industry to offer berserk deals on their wares. Each is posted throughout the day, in groups of about 10, in roughly 30-minute increments, spreading out the fun throughout the day, ending with an auction of even more fantastic items. This day of deals is a fantastic way for those ITB to give back to consumers, and also the reverse, as many, many new and exciting wineries/producers/wines are discovered by Berserkers on BerserkerDay, with purchases made, and discussions from those who might have experience with them. There is NO revenue sharing or cost to any participating winery or retailer, as to do that would raise the prices in the offers - this way, the maximum discount is given to all those who show up on this magical day. It's also a way for me to give back to what makes Wine Berserkers what it is - the community! All the fantastic content on WB is from you, and here's a way for me to setup a virtual party for everyone - current and future community members.

History of Wine Berserkers: It's a common question, so I like to list the history during BerserkerDay. The name 'Berserkers' actually comes from Mark Squires (the image below shows when/how the original group of 15 or so was named by him), before the word that bore our community became a banned word on that website and forum. Our growth has never stopped over the past 10 years (there was half a year on another domain name as well) and we're currently nearly 30,000 registered members strong.

berserkersorigin.jpg

This year, be sure to tell your friends, as I'm opening the BerserkerDay 12 forum up to anyone who wants to see it - you don't HAVE to be registered (unless you have an order that requires you to PM the winery, in that case, you better register!) to see the deals. We'll have a Twitter hashtag of #berserkerday and #BD12 and hope that you can post your favorite threads on Facebook as well on the 27th. PLEASE help point it out to me, so I can see when folks are sharing. My Twitter handle is @toddfrench, so please tag me, and on Facebook, I'm easy to find.

Our PR campaign worked well for BD10, so if you didn't have a chance to see some of the pieces that featured BerserkerDay, check these out:

Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/ ... 57b54c4f94
Orange Coast Magazine: https://www.orangecoast.com/booze-blog/ ... community/
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: BerserkerDay 12 Master Thread/FAQ

#2 Post by Max S. »

Well I'm excited!
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Max S. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 4:03 pm Well I'm excited!
This is your first one, I see!! Don't miss it...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Mattstolz »

Here we gooooooo!

Todd when do you think we'll be able to start getting a running list of participants?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#5 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Mattstolz wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 5:29 pm Here we gooooooo!

Todd when do you think we'll be able to start getting a running list of participants?
You never get that! You should know - you ain't no BerserkerDay rookie, come on neener

Preview Day is your first shot at seeing everyone.

That's part of the fun!

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Mattstolz »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 5:34 pm
Mattstolz wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 5:29 pm Here we gooooooo!

You never get that! You should know - you ain't no BerserkerDay rookie, come on neener

Preview Day is your first shot at seeing everyone.

That's part of the fun!
shoot. was hoping to sneak it in. haha!

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Max S. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 4:06 pm
I'm excited, I feel like Berserker Quarantine Relief didn't have the same feel...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#8 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Max S. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:02 pm
I'm excited, I feel like Berserker Quarantine Relief didn't have the same feel...
Berserker Quarantine Relief was a whole new thing, never before done. BerserkerDay is madness, and I go absolutely nuts around that time, as do most Berserkers. Imagine how much wine (and other stuff) has to sell to get to $750,000 in just one day!! (without DRC and Lafite, anyway)

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Max S. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:30 pm

Berserker Quarantine Relief was a whole new thing, never before done. BerserkerDay is madness, and I go absolutely nuts around that time, as do most Berserkers. Imagine how much wine (and other stuff) has to sell to get to $750,000 in just one day!! (without DRC and Lafite, anyway)
My goal is to be 1/750th of that. Gotta support these Berserkers!
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Max S. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:37 pm

Here's the Championship round I counted up for BerserkerDay 10 (didn't do one for 11) - check out these numbers!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158082

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Max S. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:48 pm
Max S. wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 7:37 pm

Here's the Championship round I counted up for BerserkerDay 10 (didn't do one for 11) - check out these numbers!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158082
I enjoy sleeping in a bed, the couch isn't nearly comfortable enough to make that list...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#12 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

It's a good year to be a member of Grand Cru Crü, folks, as we're putting together GCC-only offers/discounts, plus one particular bonus (at least, thus far) from one of our participants. ONLY for GCC, baby :)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#13 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

I've been receiving a few panicked emails from those who want to participate as sellers, as they hadn't yet received any notification of it. No worries, as I haven't yet sent anything out.

I'll be sending an 'invite' of sorts either late this week or early next week, starting the group of participating businesses/wineries at that time.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by brigcampbell »

Ah, the calm before the storm.

I've been drinking lots of Berserkerday wines recently and plan on giving props to all the offers once they go live. For whatever reason, I purchased a lot of Oregon wine last year. yummy stuff.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Max S. »

I purchased a lot of Oregon wine this year. I expect that's a new reality for me...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#16 Post by larry schaffer »

Yay!!!!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#17 Post by Nola Palomar »

On it!!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by JonathanG »

I read this to be a hint that DRC and Lafite are joining BD12!!
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

RichWhittington
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by RichWhittington »

Having never experienced a BD before, I went back and reviewed the past several year's worth of offerings and auctions...WOW! I am excited!!!

Karen Troisi
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#20 Post by Karen Troisi »

Hmmm need to see what we can offer.
Jean Edwards Cellars
ITB - You should only make wines you love to drink.

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Max S. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 1st, 2020, 1:05 pm BerserkerDay 12 #BD12
Just noticed when looking at the forum from the main page it says #BD112 - a few more years before that one starts!
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Alan Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Alan Kaplan »

might be time to upgrade my membership

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Max S. »

Alan Kaplan wrote: December 14th, 2020, 4:05 pm might be time to upgrade my membership
I did, did not realize how much an improvement no ads would be in addition to the BD deals. Plus, I've gotten a ton out of this site and its very little to give back imo
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Max S. wrote: December 14th, 2020, 4:54 pm
Alan Kaplan wrote: December 14th, 2020, 4:05 pm might be time to upgrade my membership
I did, did not realize how much an improvement no ads would be in addition to the BD deals. Plus, I've gotten a ton out of this site and its very little to give back imo
We'll have even MORE deals this BerserkerDay only for GCC members. The WineBid offer was among the first of what I hope is a long line of benefits, in addition to no ads and that fancy ribbon below your username...

JPWilley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by JPWilley »

Setting the budget. Then setting the REAL budget. Then setting the what I can actually hide from my wife and kids budget.
Skewing old
Joe

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Max S. »

JPWilley wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm Setting the budget. Then setting the REAL budget. Then setting the what I can actually hide from my wife and kids budget.
I was given a set amount I can spend. I'm not saying I'm planning to blow past that, but I am glad the missus isn't on the forums...

(If you read this, I'm joking and I love you.)
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Rodrigo B »

That time of the year when you start to consider multiple new credit cards because you’ll hit the sign up bonus spending min. for all of them in a single day….
B r @ g @

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#28 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

JPWilley wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm Setting the budget. Then setting the REAL budget. Then setting the what I can actually hide from my wife and kids budget.
A budget, he says. A BUDGET!!

[rofl.gif]

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

RichWhittington wrote: December 11th, 2020, 9:23 am Having never experienced a BD before, I went back and reviewed the past several year's worth of offerings and auctions...WOW! I am excited!!!
You will not be disappointed. My advise: set a budget and put a spreadsheet together. That way you'll know just how far you went over. :)
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Pro tip: Ship to your neighbor's house.

Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Patrick T a y l o r »

Max S. wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:54 pm
I was given a set amount I can spend. I'm not saying I'm planning to blow past that, but I am glad the missus isn't on the forums...

(If you read this, I'm joking and I love you.)
She's reading this? The call is coming from inside the house!!!!

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Siun o'Connell »

Funny, none of the Berserker women ever have these issues.

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#33 Post by Dave McIsaac »

For newbies......If you get your spend going a bit, expect a call(s) from your bank concerning fraudulent purchases.

I may call my bank in advance to give them a heads-up........
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Rodrigo B »

Dave McIsaac wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:28 pm For newbies......If you get your spend going a bit, expect a call(s) from your bank concerning fraudulent purchases.

Good advise. I might do that just in case. Not sure what to say, "Hey, I'm just giving you a call to let you know that I'll be buying a ton of wine tomorrow, so don't worry about it"? Though I never had an issue with fraud when buying wine. Maybe they've just gotten used to my spending habits. I'll spend a large amount of money on wine over a short amount of time and my bank won't bat an eye, but then I go to purchase a new relatively cheap TV at Best Buy and I get a call regarding fraud. Don't know what must come across the banker's mind when they see all these charges
B r @ g @

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#35 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Dave McIsaac wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:28 pm For newbies......If you get your spend going a bit, expect a call(s) from your bank concerning fraudulent purchases.

True story! MULTIPLE times, actually! Good advice from a 2-time Champ...

Robert Ferguson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Robert Ferguson »

My bank thought Goodfellow was a Convenience /Package Goods store and couldn't comprehend I was spending that much.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#37 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 1:48 pm It's a good year to be a member of Grand Cru Crü, folks, as we're putting together GCC-only offers/discounts, plus one particular bonus (at least, thus far) from one of our participants. ONLY for GCC, baby :)
It wasn’t GCC only last year, but we sold 95% of the berserker Chardonnay on the 26th.

GCC is well worth it, just to support the site, but there’s a ton of perks.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: December 18th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 1:48 pm It's a good year to be a member of Grand Cru Crü, folks, as we're putting together GCC-only offers/discounts, plus one particular bonus (at least, thus far) from one of our participants. ONLY for GCC, baby :)
It wasn’t GCC only last year, but we sold 95% of the berserker Chardonnay on the 26th.

Good to know. That's something I won't want to miss this year :)
CT: rieslinghoarder

2020 WOTY: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2021 WOTY Candidates:

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#39 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Well, TECHNICALLY, Marcus, it was supposed to be only GCC...you aren't supposed to take orders from non-GCC Berserkers on Preview/Early Purchase day [swearing.gif]

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Max S. »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 19th, 2020, 8:18 am

Well, TECHNICALLY, Marcus, it was supposed to be only GCC...you aren't supposed to take orders from non-GCC Berserkers on Preview/Early Purchase day [swearing.gif]
Ooooh somebody's in trouble...
5 w 0 m l 3 y

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Mattstolz »

if it happens again, im here to say Goodfellow's Berserker Cuvees are not to be missed. I have loved them all so far.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#42 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Todd F r e n c h wrote: December 19th, 2020, 8:18 am

Didn’t mean to be confusing.

The sales on the 26th were to GCC only. And that took care of 95% of the barrel of Berserker Chardonnay.

So it was GCC only on the 26th, but 2-3 people picked up the last bottles on the 27th.

We know, and follow, the rules!

[thankyou.gif]
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#43 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

Mattstolz wrote: December 19th, 2020, 3:22 pm

if it happens again, im here to say Goodfellow's Berserker Cuvees are not to be missed. I have loved them all so far.
Thanks Matt, we’ve made it a point to try and overdeliver on the Berserker wines.

We’re working on the BD12 packages right now, and we have a great prospect for a pair of Berserker wines.
Winemaker & Owner

Doug Ackerman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Doug Ackerman »

Red Electric is back in this year!
We'll even have a Chardonnay offer (saving some for BD).
details to follow...

Doug and John
https://www.redelectricwines.com/
Armstrong Vineyard
Newberg, OR

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by brigcampbell »

Dude, by now your bank should be calling you in advance on the 27th [wow.gif]

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#46 Post by Dave McIsaac »

brigcampbell wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 2:04 pm

Dude, by now your bank should be calling you in advance on the 27th [wow.gif]
They did......on the 26th!! [snort.gif]
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Ken Zinns
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Ken Zinns »

Harrington Wines will be back this year! Even though Bryan Harrington is no longer making wine, he still has some to sell, and what better way to do that than to participate in BerserkerDay again! 🍷
ITB, Harrington Wines & Eno Wines, and Grape-Nutz.com

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Rodrigo B »

Ken Zinns wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 2:22 pm Harrington Wines will be back this year! Even though Bryan Harrington is no longer making wine, he still has some to sell, and what better way to do that than to participate in BerserkerDay again! 🍷
Sad to see Bryan no longer making wine. Loved all his wines, especially the Corvina. Really unique expression of the grape. One more to add to the list of BD purchases
B r @ g @

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Nate Simon »

Ken Zinns wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 2:22 pm Harrington Wines will be back this year! Even though Bryan Harrington is no longer making wine, he still has some to sell, and what better way to do that than to participate in BerserkerDay again! 🍷
This instantly goes to my top 5 (of those I know, or am reasonably sure, will be participating).

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Sage advice and yes, listen to this man. That can be a yearly thing. My personal best was 3 credit cards contacting me with a WTF

Side note, if you plan to go Berserk, use a card that gives you points or cash back, gaming them like I do to max value. Some cards are better at this than others, and/or have maximums to navigate with a good strategy. Its a consolation prize when the bill comes in and your wife looks at you, again, with WTF.
Last edited by Rich K0rz€nk0 on December 29th, 2020, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Return to “BerserkerDay 12 (Jan 27, 2021) "The Black Friday of Wine Commerce" - Forbes”