Goodfellow Spring Release offer-Mix and match as you like, and shipping is complimentary on all orders!

Since its inception, Wine Berserkers has championed the small producer in the wine industry, as well as other small businesses related to wine (gourmet foods, wine accessories, etc) and now our friends in the wine industry who own small businesses have been presented with a great burden during the mandatory closures of wineries and bars. In the spirit of Wine Berserkers, and the shadow of BerserkerDay, let's show our support and help our friends in this industry, supporting them with our business.

This forum will be open to all small businesses in the wine industry. Tentatively we'll close it in 2 weeks, but let's see how things go...
Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

BDSponsor Goodfellow Spring Release offer-Mix and match as you like, and shipping is complimentary on all orders!

#1 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 23rd, 2020, 11:37 pm

Goodfellow Spring Release (As promised, but sans photos for now.)

Greetings in these strange times of ours,

We send out our first release offer about this time every year, typically in time for the Spring Equinox. A time of renewal and the coming of new life. This year, more than ever, we appreciate being able to reach out to those we have come to know over the years. Whether you have visited us here in Oregon, given us an order over the phone, or written an email expressing your enjoyment of the wines, we are thankful for your support. I hope that this email brings you the excitement and joy that comes from picking out the rarest of gifts.

The 2018 vintage is the third in a trio of great Willamette Valley vintages. The wines are defined by a layered, complex nature, with ripe fruit flavors, great acidity, modest alcohols, fine tannins, and a precise expression of terroir. Tasting through the 2018 vineyard designates, I was struck by the clear delineations between the vineyards, and then by the old-world elegance and light-footed nature of the wines. These are clearly some of the best wines of my career. We have continued our exploration of the micro-climates of the vineyards, and the Block Bottlings and Heritage wines will be released in the fall. Today, we offer you a first chance at some of the best single vineyard Pinot Noir and Chardonnay that we have produced.

I really don't have the words to express everything/anything very well in the light of world events. For a time this email was a challenge to begin, and I had to remind myself that wine is a huge part of sustaining our culture and happiness, and in sustaining many other businesses. From restaurants and wine shops, to coopers, mobile bottlers, forklift and tractor repairmen, welders, printers, designers, lab techs, accountants, and farmers. Richard and Patricia at Whistling Ridge are 92 and 86 years old, he's a veteran of World War II as well as Korea, and she was a teacher for many years. Their experience, personalities, and presence are among the greatest gifts of my life. Perhaps, the biggest lesson for me since founding the winery was that wineries are a conduit for money rather than a receptacle, and that truth is why this email is more important than ever.

With that, we thank you for your continued support, we wish you and your loved ones health and well-being, and hope that as this passes, we can all head out to raise a glass to life, and to getting back up and running.

Best Regards,

Marcus Goodfellow & Megan Joy

to order, please call Megan at 503-347-6366 or email marcus@goodfellowfamilycellars.com (or just post here in the thread)
and THANK YOU!!

2018 Chardonnays

The 2018 growing season offered perfect conditions for grape growing in the Willamette Valley, and as harvest neared, flavor development moved forward while acidity still remained bright and linear. The resulting wines have tremendous energy, depth, and balance.

2018 Richard's Cuvee, Whistling Ridge Chardonnay, Ribbon Ridge
Each year this wine is the pinnacle of our work with Chardonnay from Whistling Ridge.
$55 retail/ $44 release price + free shipping/delivery
Fine, wings tucked tight. Energy, elegance, lime flowers, mandarin curd, white stones, lilac, and fresh hay. Direct, sharply defined, and old school.12.1% abv, yet rich in extract and flavor. Lemon, rainwater, and mineral resonance. Like very young Puligny. All of the components are there now, but this remarkable wine will be best 2023-2033. 88 cases produced

2018 Whistling Ridge Vineyard Chardonnay, Ribbon Ridge
$40 retail/ $32 release price + free shipping/delivery
Sea shell, salt water, white flowers, linen, almond, lemon oil, lit match, and lime skin. A beautiful, linear wine, compelling aromatically, elegant and lively in the mouth. More seashells, lemon peel, and white chalky minerality, crisp, with length. 12.1% abv. 130 cases produced

2018 Durant Vineyard Chardonnay, Dundee Hills
$40 retail/ $32 release price + free shipping/delivery
Lime leaf and verbena, honeydew, meyer lemon peel, papaya, lavender, and fresh green growth. Captivating, wonderfully expressive without being obvious. Floral with an underlying savory tone, seawater, and almonds. Clean, limpid, and coiled, lemon peel, tonic, wet stone. My favorite bottling from this vineyard. 13.2% abv. 140 cases produced

2018 Single Vineyard Pinot Noir Release

$40 bottle/ $32 release price + free shipping/delivery

The 2018 vintage personality falls between the charming, balanced 2016s, and the savory, serious 2017s. The 2018 wines carry a bit more mid-palate fruit than the 2017 vintage, but are kept taut and energetic by bright juicy acidity. These wines will age magnificently, and it will be fun to compare them over the next two decades, but they should have a lovely window for early consumption. For more detailed information on the vineyards, please see the website.

2018 Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir, Ribbon Ridge
The centerpiece of our wines, this 14 acre vineyard sits above Beaux Freres and Patricia Green Estate vineyards. Soils are sedimentary, drain quickly, and the plants are challenged for moisture in our summers. A regular evening breeze further dries the plants, thickening skins, and yielding wines with extraordinary elegance and distinct structure.

Classic Whistling Ridge nose of cinnamon, rose petals, orange peel, exotic spices, mineral, and elegant red and black fruit, centered around cherries, pomegranate, and alpine strawberry. Very much in an old-world style. Weightless, yet full flavored, juicy red fruits extend into amaro notes, black tea, and bright acidity. 226 cases produced

2018 Lewman Vineyard Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills
For 2018, we have added the Lewman Vineyard, in the Eola-Amity Hills. Lewman Vineyard is a small patch that sits between Bethel Heights, Temperance Hill, and Justice Vineyards on shallow volcanic soils. First planted in 1993, the vineyard has been farmed organically since establishment, and has produced some remarkable wines over the years (most of which never made it out of Oregon). We had the honor of making wines for Dennis Lewman in 2014 and 2015, and in 2018 were thrilled to purchase fruit from the vineyard for ourselves. It is, in my opinion, one of the best sites in Oregon and the "don't miss" wine of this email.

Warm ripe strawberry, red fruit with damp earth. Alluring and floral with rose pastilles, spice tones, cedar, and forest floor. Mineral weightlessness in the mouth, with great movement and vibrancy. A quintessentially "Goodfellow" wine, true to it's Eola-Amity soils, with bright acidity layered over age worthy tannins. 113 cases produced

2018 Temperance Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills
Our block in this iconic Eola-Amity Hills vineyard is planted on a steep East facing slope on volcanic soils, planted in the early 1990s. A high elevation site, Temperance Hill is among the most climate challenged sites in the Willamette Valley. Affected by the winds from the Van Duzer corridor this vineyard produces intensely flavored fruit with a distinct wild nature.

Powerful and taut, deep red and black fruits, keemun maofeng tea, mossy trees, tranquil, dense without thickness, layered but more like shadows at the bottom of a dark pool. Hints of strawberry in the palate move into forest floor notes and the deeply structured nature of fruit from Temperance Hill. It's hard for me to think of a more unique and distinct terroir in the Willamette Valley. 113 cases produced

2018 Durant Vineyard Pinot Noir, Dundee Hills
From an East facing 2 acre block planted at 450-500 feet. This fruit is from the deeper volcanic soils intrinsic to the Dundee Hills, and is a stone's throw from David Lett's original Eyrie plantings. Warmed by the morning sun and protected from the heat of the afternoon, this is the most fruit forward of the wines.

When we succeed with the Durant vineyard, it has a kinship with the violet and spice tones of Vosne-Romanee. Elegant, juicy, and approachable, yet the layering and savory nuance is remarkable. Supremely balanced between red and blue fruit, marionberry, cherry, stem spice and bright acidity. This is the Dundee Hills at it's best. 160 cases produced.

2018 Fir Crest Vineyard Pinot Noir, Yamhill-Carlton
Set in the deep southwest corner of the Yamhill-Carlton AVA on the Valley's oldest series of sedimentary soils, this vineyard is tucked into the rain shadow of the coast range. Cool at night and hot during the days, Fir Crest's old vines produce fruit with a black nature, but retain the minerality and acidic spine reminiscent of old world vineyards. While the fruit can be robust, in 2018 the balance is impeccable.

Mulberry fruit, deep red and black tones, sage, smoke, green peppercorn, chalk, violets, and deep woodsy notes. For all of the dark aromatics and flavors, the wine jumps in the mouth, with black cherry essence, tar, earth, chalk, herbs, and a long finish with structural tannins over nervy acidity. 113 cases produced.

Open That Special Bottle 6-pack

$265 6-pack(3 wines x 2 bottles each) + free shipping/delivery

From the beginning we have striven to produce the very best wines we were capable of. Not "made" wines, but wines that remained essentially wild. Wines that by virtue of remaining untamed would contain the elements of nature that geology, geography, and climate had gifted to the site. And wines that sometimes require an investment of time/understanding on the part of the purchaser and owner. But tough times call for good wines and we wanted to offer a selection from our library that can be opened now. All of these wines have years ahead of them, should you desire to continue cellaring them. All will reward decanting, or enjoying them over a couple of days. But each of these wines have been lovely in our tastings over the past several months, and should offer a Goodfellow wine that is (mostly) ready to drink now. Limited quantities.

2015 Richard's Cuvee, Whistling Ridge Chardonnay
At the 5 year mark, the 2015 Richard's Cuvee is showing the sublime balance of an aged chardonnay. Black tea, orchard fruit, rounded mineral and seashell presence.

2014 Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir
Also just opening up, while the 2014 vintage was warm, this wine remains light on it's feet, filled with pure red fruits, cranberry and raspberry, layered with stony soil and underbrush. Perfect for a reflective evening with just you and the decanter.

2013 Heritage No. 2, Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir
Just beginning to peek out from a closed phase, showing pure perfumed red fruits, beautiful nuances of hardwoods and spices, soft juicy red fruits. Blind I guessed Burgundy, either 1er Cru Mercurey or perhaps Morey St. Denis. Drink or hold, at your discretion.

Cellar Defender/ Weeknight Wines Case

$252/ 12 btl case of your choice + free shipping/delivery

Our entry wines represent some of the best QPR available. With no corners cut, these wines deliver a great wine experience at a modest price. From the same great vineyards as the top cuvees, handled with the same meticulous care that we bring to all of our wines.

2018 Whistling Ridge Blanc (Riesling, Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc, Gewurztraminer) (aka "the crack")
Simply delicious, textured, supple, charming, and ready to drink (or cellar...but no one does).

2018 Dundee Hills Chardonnay
Declassified fruit from the Durant vineyard, this wine offers a tremendous value. Pairs best with Meursault...

2017 Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir
This is a mini-Whistling Ridge from slightly younger vines, and declassified 500L puncheons from the older blocks. Pie cherries and spice, juicy acidity and a tremendous steal at $21.

2015 Deux Vert Reserve Syrah
Cool climate new world Syrah, co-fermented with a touch of Viognier. 100% whole cluster and aged for 3 years in neutral 300L hogsheads. Violets and thyme, dark blackberry and tar with medium body and nice acid spine.

champagne.gif
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on March 28th, 2020, 8:33 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer

#2 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » March 24th, 2020, 9:06 am

Ok now I don't feel so bad with only 16 or so bottlings...
Vincent - ITB

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer

#3 Post by Sean_S » March 24th, 2020, 10:00 pm

I know Vincent and this is just the spring release. :) Both of you guys are guilty of making too many lovely wines. I have to get a spreadsheet out and plan purchases and cross reference against whats in the cellar. 1st world problems.... Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy....

My CC is going to be smoking after quarantine.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer-Mix and match as you like, and shipping is complimentary on all orders!

#4 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 25th, 2020, 11:23 am

But wine spreadsheets are fun right?!?
Winemaker & Owner

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer-Mix and match as you like, and shipping is complimentary on all orders!

#5 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 25th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Just emailed you for a case of the 2018 Richard’s Cuvée. Drinking a 2016 Durant right now, which is fantastic. Keep up the good work!

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by JDavisRoby » March 25th, 2020, 7:23 pm

In for something just not sure what yet!
Joshu@

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Sh@n A » March 25th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Marcus, I just enjoyed your 2016 Heritage #7. Thank you.
/ @ g r @ \

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 25th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Marcus, I just enjoyed your 2016 Heritage #7. Thank you.
That is great to hear! I was thinking about you earlier. Good luck and stay healthy!
Winemaker & Owner

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#9 Post by Joe Chanley » March 26th, 2020, 7:45 am

Drank a few glasses of a 2016 Durant PN last night - it did not suck. Will check on the rest tonight.

I'll be placing an order, but you're killing us with all of these sites!

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Sean_S » March 26th, 2020, 10:35 am

Order in. It was hard to get down to 4 cases. So much goodness in there...

Sean

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » March 26th, 2020, 11:37 am

Sean_S wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:35 am

Sean
[swoon.gif]
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Sean_S » March 26th, 2020, 11:51 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:37 am
Sean_S wrote:

Sean
[swoon.gif]
My wife's favorite producer period. We drink through a lot of the appellation wines young while cellaring the SVD's.

#1 producer by volume in my cellar.

Sean

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » March 26th, 2020, 11:54 am

Sean_S wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:51 am
Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:37 am
Sean_S wrote:

Sean
[swoon.gif]
My wife's favorite producer period. We drink through a lot of the appellation wines young while cellaring the SVD's.

#1 producer by volume in my cellar.

Sean
Just looked at your CT, no kidding!

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by joeduncan » March 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm

I still don't know how I'm supposed to choose here either! Maybe I just need 4 cases too :)

Jason R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jason R. » March 26th, 2020, 1:51 pm

In for two cases - email sent and spoke with Megan. Thanks Marcus!
R o b e r t s o n

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Mattstolz » March 26th, 2020, 5:44 pm

working through a bottle of 2016 Whistling ridge last night and tonight... wow wine!

Will be in for some of these ASAP. some of the top pinot and chard anywhere

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Scott Watkins » March 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:44 pm
working through a bottle of 2016 Whistling ridge last night and tonight... wow wine!

Yes that 16 was my gateway drug. In
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 26th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Joe Chanley wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:45 am
Drank a few glasses of a 2016 Durant PN last night - it did not suck. Will check on the rest tonight.

[cheers.gif]

does-not-suck is the bar we strive for!
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#19 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 26th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Jason R. wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:51 pm
In for two cases - email sent and spoke with Megan. Thanks Marcus!
Thank you!
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#20 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 26th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Scott Watkins wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Mattstolz wrote:

I love all the vineyards we work with, but Whistling Ridge is the one that I couldn’t give up.

It’s not common for all of the vintages of that vineyard to be showing well, but I kind of think that next Berserker Day there may be an alignment where 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17(this might be wishful thinking), and 18 are all showing well...hmm.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Montanile
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Marcus Montanile » March 27th, 2020, 9:10 am

Order in! Looking forward to getting my hands on these.

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Scott Watkins » March 27th, 2020, 9:59 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 6:07 pm
Scott Watkins wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Mattstolz wrote:

I love all the vineyards we work with, but Whistling Ridge is the one that I couldn’t give up.

It’s not common for all of the vintages of that vineyard to be showing well, but I kind of think that next Berserker Day there may be an alignment where 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17(this might be wishful thinking), and 18 are all showing well...hmm.
Hmm indeed I will start saving now [cheers.gif]
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#23 Post by Joe Chanley » March 27th, 2020, 10:28 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 6:00 pm
Joe Chanley wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:45 am

[cheers.gif]

does-not-suck is the bar we strive for!
Lol. Night two was even better. Great stuff, Marcus.

M. Tam

BDSponsor Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer-Mix and match as you like, and shipping is complimentary on all orders!

#24 Post by M. Tam » March 27th, 2020, 10:34 am

Order in for Richard's Cuvee, Whistling Ridge PN, Temperance, and Lewman. Spoke with Megan and I'm really looking forward to these. I've been on an OR chard/PN kick ever since I moved up to WA a few months ago. Thanks Marcus!

[cheers.gif]
M i c h a e l

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Jeff_M. » March 29th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Order in for a Chardonnay assortment. Thanks Marcus and Megan
Jeff M 0 l l

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by JDavisRoby » March 29th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Got in my order of a mixed case of SV Pinot and a mixed case of cellar defenders in late Friday. Don’t buy two cases (or even a case) of much but had to this go around.
Joshu@

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#27 Post by sdfruman » March 30th, 2020, 9:22 am

Just sent Marcus an email to purchase the 18s. I'm looking forward to trying the Chards.
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Jason T » March 31st, 2020, 5:51 am

Sean_S wrote:

Sean
I feel your pain. I’ve normally been at around 3 cases sans Heritage/special blocks. This year I got down to 2, though I really didn’t want to. But want to save some dry powder for the Heritage bottlings.
J@son Tr@ughber

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » March 31st, 2020, 10:06 am

If only money grew on trees.

Just curious for the Goodfellow veterans, what has been your approach with purchasing Heritage/special blocks? Do you just buy multiples of the ones you've tasted before and like, regardless of vintage, or buy a little of everything to compare/contrast as they age?

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Sean_S » March 31st, 2020, 10:34 am

I have not tasted the blocks as they were new last year. I need to taste some before fall. The heritage wines I was fortunate enough to taste through a few with Marcus a few years ago during a trip to the winery and since then I just blindly buy them. Its certainly becoming harder as the # of bottlings increases. I know what my vineyard preferences are but now all these new special block bottlings makes it all the harder.

That said, I am a bad example since my strategy this time was at least 2 of everything and load up on favorites like the Richard's Cuvee and the Whistling Ridge Blanc RR Pinot.

Sean

Return to “Berserker Quarantine Relief”