Goodfellow Quarantine Offer April 5th-new offers!

Since its inception, Wine Berserkers has championed the small producer in the wine industry, as well as other small businesses related to wine (gourmet foods, wine accessories, etc) and now our friends in the wine industry who own small businesses have been presented with a great burden during the mandatory closures of wineries and bars. In the spirit of Wine Berserkers, and the shadow of BerserkerDay, let's show our support and help our friends in this industry, supporting them with our business.

This forum will be open to all small businesses in the wine industry. Tentatively we'll close it in 2 weeks, but let's see how things go...
Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Goodfellow Quarantine Offer April 5th-new offers!

#1 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 23rd, 2020, 11:37 pm

Goodfellow April 5th Quarantine Offer

Greetings in these strange times of ours, (and thank you Todd!)

This year, more than ever, we appreciate being able to reach out to those we have come to know over the years. Whether you have visited us here in Oregon, given us an order over the phone, or written an email expressing your enjoyment of the wines, we are thankful for your support.

While we had hoped this would be just for a few weeks, it seems now that it will last a while longer, so we thought it would be good to change the offer up a bit. We’ve built up a library of wines for a number of years, and so will start offering a series of options for you. The focus will be not only on good deals, but good deals on some wines that you might want to open in the near term. Some of the wines will be quite limited, and some less so. We’ll try to change them up every week or two.

We are also posting a set of our more affordable wines. They are a great option to fill out a case without breaking the bank.

To order, please email me at: marcus@goodfellowfamilycellars.com or call Megan at (503)347-6366

Thank you, and we hope you are staying well, wherever you are,

Marcus Goodfellow and Megan Joy

Offer #1: Chardonnay sampler

Our Chardonnays are considered to be some of the top white wines currently produced in the Willamette Valley. We’re dry farmed, and focus on conscientious choices in the vineyards. Whistling Ridge is a ridge-top planting on fast draining sedimentary soils. It sees considerable breeze. The confluence of climate, soils, and exposure produces fruit with electric qualities. Tension and a linear drive to the fruit. Durant is an east facing vineyard with deeper volcanic soils, mild breezes, and sees it’s sun earlier in the day. It produces fruit with more tranquil qualities, lithe rather than sinewy. Fruit is all handled similarly, picked at low Brix, pressed and settled with significant oxygen exposure and little to no sulfur. It’s racked to a selection of puncheons ranging between 500-860L, and ferments over 3-9 months. Malo is allowed to go through(and needs to, given our natural acidities) and the wine is on the gross lees for 18-21 months. We rack just prior to bottling. Our Chardonnays age well, and I tend to like them throughout their evolution.

2017 Ribbon Ridge-declassified Whistling Ridge, this does see a bit of new oak, but is mineral driven, saline, with almond, citrus, wet stone, and smoke. 12.9% abv

2018 Dundee Hills-declassified Durant fruit, this is white flowers, salt water, stones, hints of orchard fruits, and smoke.

2018 Whistling Ridge Vineyard-from two 600L puncheons, seashells, almonds, saltwater, linen, lit match and lime skin. Lively but textured in the mouth. 12.1% abv

2017 Durant Vineyard-layered and complex. Flinty notes, hazelnuts, nectarine. Excellent length, dense without weight, stony and savoury.

Retail: $134 Quarantine Relief: $108/4-pack
plus complimentary shipping

Offer #2: 2015 Vintage perspective

I thought it would be fun to offer a 2015 horizontal package. It’s a warm but structured vintage, and we’re a restrained, whole cluster based house. That yielded wines with plenty of fruit and plenty of backbone. While these can age for some time longer, the window at the moment is very good.

Fir Crest Vineyard Pinot Noir, Yamhill-Carlton AVA
Durant Vineyard Pinot Noir, Dundee Hills AVA
Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir, Ribbon Ridge AVA
Retail: $150 Quarantine Relief: $118/3-pack
Plus complimentary shipping

*Bonus 2015s:

Heritage No.4, Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir
Deux Vert Vineyard, Syrah Reserve
Whistling Ridge Blanc (Riesling based field blend)

Full 2015 Offer with Bonus: $220 for the 6-pack

Offer #3: Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir Vertical

I was thinking about doing this as a BD12 offering, but really, there is no time like the present. Whistling Ridge is such a special site. It’s not an easy site, and it’s taken a long time to get to know it’s quirks. Like many Ribbon Ridge vineyards it can have both black and red fruits, but because it is ridge top the red fruit tends to jump out in the wines youth. There is almost always a floral and spice component, lighter body(in youth), energy, and red cherries, and firm tannins. This vertical also covers a significant evolution in my process(too long a story for this post), as well as significant differences in vintage in Oregon.

The offer: one bottle each Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir from 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018.

Retail: $270 Quarantine Relief: $216/6-pack
Complimentary shipping

Offer #4: QPR (Quarantine Price Reduction) choices

The following wines are some options for filling out cases, or just filling up cases. All are delicious, some especially so. All are wines at a price low enough that we can’t offer free shipping. But, we can offer to ship then to you at $25/box, and if you purchase one of the other offers, please feel free to fill out a case from these wines and we’ll still honor the complimentary shipping on the box.

2017 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir-this is a savory vintage, resulting in a serious savory wine. Low alcohol, light on it’s feet, complex enough to warrant your attention(and good glassware), and a great deal. Normally $25 QPR: $20

2017 Clover Pinot Gris-so far from your average Pinot Gris it’s not funny. From Whistling Ridge fruit. Aged on the lees in two 820L Acacia puncheons for 18 months. Don’t miss this because you don’t like crappy mass produced Pinot Gris. Normally $22 QPR: $17

2017 Willamette Valley Chardonnay-100% declassified fruit from Durant and Whistling Ridge. Aged the same 18 months as the single vineyards. This is a great value, and has some excellent CT comments to verify that. Normally $25 QPR: $20

2013 Matello Fool’s Journey Syrah/Viognier-this wine is just a must try, if you like lighter bodied reds. (Syrah? Lighter bodied? Yes. We had rain in 2013, and while this hung through like a champ and we picked a month after the rain, it was cold and dry after the rain and sugars in this fruit moved only a little. Flavors definitely kept evolving though. Black pepper, mulberry, layers of spice and forest floor, some red fruits and great texture and balance. Think Baudry makes a Syrah in the Loire Valley. Normally $25 QPR: $20

If you have any questions, please let us know. And if there’s a wine not on the menu, please ask, we may be able to find it.

Best regards,

Marcus and Megan
Last edited by Marcus Goodfellow on April 5th, 2020, 6:00 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer

#2 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » March 24th, 2020, 9:06 am

Ok now I don't feel so bad with only 16 or so bottlings...
Vincent - ITB

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer

#3 Post by Sean_S » March 24th, 2020, 10:00 pm

I know Vincent and this is just the spring release. :) Both of you guys are guilty of making too many lovely wines. I have to get a spreadsheet out and plan purchases and cross reference against whats in the cellar. 1st world problems.... Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy....

My CC is going to be smoking after quarantine.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer-Mix and match as you like, and shipping is complimentary on all orders!

#4 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 25th, 2020, 11:23 am

But wine spreadsheets are fun right?!?
Winemaker & Owner

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer-Mix and match as you like, and shipping is complimentary on all orders!

#5 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » March 25th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Just emailed you for a case of the 2018 Richard’s Cuvée. Drinking a 2016 Durant right now, which is fantastic. Keep up the good work!

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by JDavisRoby » March 25th, 2020, 7:23 pm

In for something just not sure what yet!
Joshu@

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Sh@n A » March 25th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Marcus, I just enjoyed your 2016 Heritage #7. Thank you.
/ @ g r @ \

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 25th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Marcus, I just enjoyed your 2016 Heritage #7. Thank you.
That is great to hear! I was thinking about you earlier. Good luck and stay healthy!
Winemaker & Owner

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#9 Post by Joe Chanley » March 26th, 2020, 7:45 am

Drank a few glasses of a 2016 Durant PN last night - it did not suck. Will check on the rest tonight.

I'll be placing an order, but you're killing us with all of these sites!

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Sean_S » March 26th, 2020, 10:35 am

Order in. It was hard to get down to 4 cases. So much goodness in there...

Sean

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » March 26th, 2020, 11:37 am

Sean_S wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:35 am

Sean
[swoon.gif]
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Sean_S » March 26th, 2020, 11:51 am

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:37 am
Sean_S wrote:

Sean
[swoon.gif]
My wife's favorite producer period. We drink through a lot of the appellation wines young while cellaring the SVD's.

#1 producer by volume in my cellar.

Sean

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » March 26th, 2020, 11:54 am

Sean_S wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:51 am
March 26th, 2020, 11:37 am
Sean_S wrote:

Sean
[swoon.gif]
My wife's favorite producer period. We drink through a lot of the appellation wines young while cellaring the SVD's.

#1 producer by volume in my cellar.

Sean
Just looked at your CT, no kidding!

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by joeduncan » March 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm

I still don't know how I'm supposed to choose here either! Maybe I just need 4 cases too :)

Jason R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jason R. » March 26th, 2020, 1:51 pm

In for two cases - email sent and spoke with Megan. Thanks Marcus!
R o b e r t s o n

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Mattstolz » March 26th, 2020, 5:44 pm

working through a bottle of 2016 Whistling ridge last night and tonight... wow wine!

Will be in for some of these ASAP. some of the top pinot and chard anywhere

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Scott Watkins » March 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:44 pm
working through a bottle of 2016 Whistling ridge last night and tonight... wow wine!

Yes that 16 was my gateway drug. In
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 26th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Joe Chanley wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:45 am
Drank a few glasses of a 2016 Durant PN last night - it did not suck. Will check on the rest tonight.

[cheers.gif]

does-not-suck is the bar we strive for!
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#19 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 26th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Jason R. wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:51 pm
In for two cases - email sent and spoke with Megan. Thanks Marcus!
Thank you!
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#20 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 26th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Scott Watkins wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Mattstolz wrote:

I love all the vineyards we work with, but Whistling Ridge is the one that I couldn’t give up.

It’s not common for all of the vintages of that vineyard to be showing well, but I kind of think that next Berserker Day there may be an alignment where 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17(this might be wishful thinking), and 18 are all showing well...hmm.
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Montanile
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Marcus Montanile » March 27th, 2020, 9:10 am

Order in! Looking forward to getting my hands on these.

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Scott Watkins » March 27th, 2020, 9:59 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 6:07 pm
Scott Watkins wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Mattstolz wrote:

I love all the vineyards we work with, but Whistling Ridge is the one that I couldn’t give up.

It’s not common for all of the vintages of that vineyard to be showing well, but I kind of think that next Berserker Day there may be an alignment where 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17(this might be wishful thinking), and 18 are all showing well...hmm.
Hmm indeed I will start saving now [cheers.gif]

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#23 Post by Joe Chanley » March 27th, 2020, 10:28 am

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 6:00 pm
Joe Chanley wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:45 am

[cheers.gif]

does-not-suck is the bar we strive for!
Lol. Night two was even better. Great stuff, Marcus.

M. Tam

BDSponsor Re: Goodfellow Spring Release offer-Mix and match as you like, and shipping is complimentary on all orders!

#24 Post by M. Tam » March 27th, 2020, 10:34 am

Order in for Richard's Cuvee, Whistling Ridge PN, Temperance, and Lewman. Spoke with Megan and I'm really looking forward to these. I've been on an OR chard/PN kick ever since I moved up to WA a few months ago. Thanks Marcus!

[cheers.gif]
M i c h a e l

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Jeff_M. » March 29th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Order in for a Chardonnay assortment. Thanks Marcus and Megan
Jeff M 0 l l

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by JDavisRoby » March 29th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Got in my order of a mixed case of SV Pinot and a mixed case of cellar defenders in late Friday. Don’t buy two cases (or even a case) of much but had to this go around.
Joshu@

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#27 Post by sdfruman » March 30th, 2020, 9:22 am

Just sent Marcus an email to purchase the 18s. I'm looking forward to trying the Chards.
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Jason T » March 31st, 2020, 5:51 am

Sean_S wrote:

Sean
I feel your pain. I’ve normally been at around 3 cases sans Heritage/special blocks. This year I got down to 2, though I really didn’t want to. But want to save some dry powder for the Heritage bottlings.
J@son Tr@ughber

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » March 31st, 2020, 10:06 am

If only money grew on trees.

Just curious for the Goodfellow veterans, what has been your approach with purchasing Heritage/special blocks? Do you just buy multiples of the ones you've tasted before and like, regardless of vintage, or buy a little of everything to compare/contrast as they age?

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Sean_S » March 31st, 2020, 10:34 am

I have not tasted the blocks as they were new last year. I need to taste some before fall. The heritage wines I was fortunate enough to taste through a few with Marcus a few years ago during a trip to the winery and since then I just blindly buy them. Its certainly becoming harder as the # of bottlings increases. I know what my vineyard preferences are but now all these new special block bottlings makes it all the harder.

That said, I am a bad example since my strategy this time was at least 2 of everything and load up on favorites like the Richard's Cuvee and the Whistling Ridge Blanc RR Pinot.

Sean

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 31st, 2020, 7:30 pm

Thank you everyone, it’s really appreciated. Especially this year.
Winemaker & Owner

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Sh@n A » March 31st, 2020, 7:31 pm

Sean_S wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 10:34 am
I know what my vineyard preferences are
Sean, do you mind sharing your impressions of the different vineyards?
/ @ g r @ \

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Sean_S » April 1st, 2020, 1:58 pm

Whistling Ridge is my favorite. The bright acidity and minerality across all the wines whether they are Chardonnay, Pinot, Riesling or Field Blend. There is a always tension in these wines. Then Durant. Fir Crest is good but does not excite me as much as other wines. I have yet to try a temperance hill from Goodfellow but have had them from Walter Scott. Marcus used to make Souris and Deux Vert and I enjoyed them as well. So there is no vineyard so I don't like but I love the acidity and tension in all the Whistling Ridge wines.

Sean

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » April 1st, 2020, 5:26 pm

I've already determined the Durant chardonnay is my preferred over the Whistling Ridge because of the tension and matchstick reduction (Marcus, is that typical regardless of the vintage). Will keep exploring the other vineyards. Bought some Fir Crest and the Lewman Vineyard to try out this go-a-round.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Sean_S » April 1st, 2020, 6:51 pm

April 1st, 2020, 5:26 pm
I've already determined the Durant chardonnay is my preferred over the Whistling Ridge because of the tension and matchstick reduction (Marcus, is that typical regardless of the vintage). Will keep exploring the other vineyards. Bought some Fir Crest and the Lewman Vineyard to try out this go-a-round.
To me, the flintiness varies between vintage to vintage and the designate. I have tried NOT a 17 Durant yet but in vintages going back to 14, I always seem to find more of that reductive goodness on the WR than the Durant. It also seems to have gone down in recent vintages. The '15 Richard Cuvee was quite flinty in my recollection.

Curious about Marcus' perception. Overall I find Chardonnays like Goodfellow and WS even at their most reduced are still not like PYCM.

Sean

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by PaulMills » April 2nd, 2020, 5:13 pm

March 31st, 2020, 10:06 am
If only money grew on trees.

Just curious for the Goodfellow veterans, what has been your approach with purchasing Heritage/special blocks? Do you just buy multiples of the ones you've tasted before and like, regardless of vintage, or buy a little of everything to compare/contrast as they age?

I usually use the shotgun approach. I go wide and sporadic. It has worked out well thus far. I have chard in the cellar going back to ‘13 and pinot going back to ‘12.

I will be placing my order this weekend to stock up a little more. I have no idea yet what I will get.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#37 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 2nd, 2020, 7:02 pm

Sean_S wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 6:51 pm
April 1st, 2020, 5:26 pm
To me, the flintiness varies between vintage to vintage and the designate. I have tried NOT a 17 Durant yet but in vintages going back to 14, I always seem to find more of that reductive goodness on the WR than the Durant. It also seems to have gone down in recent vintages. The '15 Richard Cuvee was quite flinty in my recollection.

Curious about Marcus' perception. Overall I find Chardonnays like Goodfellow and WS even at their most reduced are still not like PYCM.

Sean
I think Sean has the right of it. While some vineyards may be prone to a bot of reduction, it usually occurs in the fermentation part of the process. I want a little in the wines, but feel that 2014 it dominated the wines a bit. In 2015 it was just about perfect, but in 2016-2018, it’s a lighter presence, but is balanced by the purity of fruit in 2016 and the linear electric nature of the 20-7 and 2018s. The Durant does have a bit more in 2017.
Winemaker & Owner

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Goodfellow Quarantine Offer April 5th-new offers!

#38 Post by Sean_S » April 5th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Quite the selection of new offers...

WR Verticals and more....

champagne.gif

2013 Matello Fool’s Journey Syrah/Viognier - Such an interesting wine. Marcus poured this for me when I visited I believe, bought a few and then ended up buying more than a few more from Liner and Elsen. Someone else wiser than I said its a syrah for pinot drinkers and it certainly is. I need to check in on one soon. CT says I last had one in November last year. Seems like it be time to pop another...

Also lucky got located and unearthed 09 Lazarus pinot in my cellar today. Knowing you have a wine in the cellar is one thing. For me finding it is another matter.

Sean

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Scott Watkins » April 5th, 2020, 4:55 pm

WTF you just had to do the Whistling vertical after my last box just arrived? guess I will be calling Megan shortly [highfive.gif]

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Marshall Manning » April 5th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Sean, I just popped one of the '13 Syrahs a couple of weeks ago, and it's in a good place right now. Definitely on the lighter side for Syrah, but very pretty, with a light meaty/gamey note to let you know it's not Pinot, although the texture and body is Pinot-like. I really liked it and am glad I have a few more.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#41 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 5th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Thanks Marshall, I hope you’re well!
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#42 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » April 5th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Scott Watkins wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 4:55 pm
WTF you just had to do the Whistling vertical after my last box just arrived? guess I will be calling Megan shortly [highfive.gif]
You got me to thinking about that vertical and then I just couldn’t resist.
Winemaker & Owner

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#43 Post by Adam Frisch » April 5th, 2020, 8:54 pm

Order in!
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

sdfruman
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#44 Post by sdfruman » April 6th, 2020, 7:54 am

Scott Watkins wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 4:55 pm
My order for the 18s hasn't even arrived yet! Guess I need to get some more! flirtysmile
Sheila

“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.”
― Bette Davis

Adam G

#45 Post by Adam G » April 6th, 2020, 9:46 am

Just finalized my order for the 2018s last week and it's not even shipped yet! These are so freaking tempting. I can't find more places to store wine right now!
A. Gr0ssm@n

Return to “Berserker Quarantine Relief”