Mike on Tour---OL in San Francisco, August 25

Many thanks to Ashish for offering to take the lead on figuring out restaurant and details.

Mike Grammer — 2001 Chateau Suduiraut, 1998 Kracher Welschriesling ZDS TBA #11, 2004 Royal Demaria Gewurtztraminer Icewine
Linda Baehr 2005 Vieux Telegraphe (+ Riesling?)
Ashish Agrawal 1997 Dehlinger Syrah
Richard Leland
Ed Chin Cali Cab
Craig Gleason 1999 Baumard Savennieres Clos de Papillon
Richard Jennings 1999 Paloma Syrah, 1994 Dehlinger Syrah
Dave Smig 2009 Five/Five Wines Simone & Sydnee Cabs + 2010 Michel Gassier Costières-de-Nîmes Nostre Pais Blanc
Meagan Smith
Dan Teng

Saddle up!

It’s always a bit tricky to find places in SF that will allow a group to bring a ton of wine (most have 2 bottle limits/table). Here are some limited options:

Zuppa (SOMA)- Made a reservation for 6 people on Sat @ 7 PM. Corkage is $20/750mL with no limit on # of bottles.
Cafe Claude- Have planned a wine dinner here before. They were accommodating with corkage $15/bottle with no limit on # of bottles but the service was slightly overbearing as they seemed to want to serve us all the wine (although I think they eventually got tired and we got control of the bottles back). The food as I recall was excellent and the ambiance was good but a bit dark.

If people have additional suggestions, please let me know ASAP. I’ve already made a reservation at Zuppa’s for 6 people @ 7PM. That will be our default unless someone can recommend another place.

As for wine, I’m leaning towards white burg and an italian (likely brunello).

We had a nice tasting at one Market street, at least they let us bring as much wine as we wanted.

The only place I am familiar enough with to make a res is a sushi place- but I guess that wouldn’t be very red-friendly. :frowning:

Looks good. I’ve never been there before. I called and couldn’t reach anyone just now (looks like they’re closed for the night), but I could call again tomorrow if people think they might like that better. An internet search tells me that corkage is $20/bottle, no stated limit on number of bottles that I could find. It will likely be pricier overall but perhaps better food? What do people think?

May I join?

Of course! Happy to have you aboard. Do you have any preferences for where we eat?

Not crazy about Zuppa - I’ve only been once but the place was dark, the service was friendly but slow and the food was uninspiring. I doubt that they’re doing well because several of the recent reviews mention Groupon and Living Social deals.

One Market is part of the Lark Creek restaurant group so the food is a tad institutional and fairly expensive but I’d rather go there than Zuppa.

A couple of other suggestions:

Indigo. We had a wine dinner a couple of years ago and they let us bring as many bottles as we wanted and ultimately didn’t charge us any corkage at all. The food was standard California/Mediterranean fare but pretty solid. It’s near City Hall so street parking can be tough if there are symphony/opera/ballet performances that night, but the Performing Arts Garage is cheap and only a block away.

I’ve part of a group of Burgundy nuts and we’ve had two wine dinners at Cafe Des Amis on Union Street in the last couple of months. We worked out a set corkage charge ahead of time and brought lots of wine. The SF Chronicle critic, Michael Bauer, doesn’t like the place but both the meals we had there were terrific.

The downside to both these places is that we’d have to eat early - it doesn’t look like they have any tables available after 6:00. Although if Linda is planning on driving back to Napa that might not be a bad thing.

I’m happy to go wherever people like, though the last place we went to (where we had the Rhones) was great.

Hey SF peeps, just read this. I am supposed to be in Paso on the 25th, but if you still have a spot open and things fall through, I may swoop in with a wine or two I have a nice 09 Howell mtn cab that I want to share.

-dave

Remember, I’m the quasi-stranger here, so I’ll go along with most anything :slight_smile: I did have a very enjoyable meal at Zuppa and was thinking of it, but that was 6 years ago, so perhaps things have changed for the worse. Craig and Dave, would love to have you. I’m trying to lure Dan Teng into coming as well.

I’ve never been there, but the Yelp reviews don’t look very promising.

What kind of $$$ are you all looking to spend. Maybe I can help Ashish with some suggestions.

Money is no object … we’re planning to stick Mike with the check.

[winner.gif] [welldone.gif]

BTW, it looks like we won’t be bringing in grapes until Monday! [dance-clap.gif]

FYI:

• I cancelled the reservation at Zuppa
  • Called Indigo… they say they only allow 1-2 bottles per table.
  • Sent an e-mail to the general manager at Cafe des Amis to see if they can accommodate us on Saturday and will allow us to bring our wine.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Oh—didn’t I say? As the guest of dishonour, I will, of course, expect everyone else to pick up my tab [grin.gif]

LOL with a cherry and chinaware on top, see you guys in a few days.

Have not had the opportunity yet to see if seating is available, but here are some additional suggestions:

Piccino corkage $15
Delancey corkage $9
Umbria corkage $15
La Mar corkage ?
Coco 500 corkage $15

Delancey’s food is OK, but supports a great organization
Umbria’s food was fine, but has been awhile.

I was looking for some cheaper alternatives with decent corkage fees. Check out SFGate (food) for reviews and a good way to do a search.

I am confirmed out. Keep me in mind for the next SF event though.

Cheers,
dave

Hi Gang,

A dinner I’d planned for that same evening just fell through, so I can join you all if there’s still room.

It looks like the venue hasn’t been finally pinned down yet. Might I suggest a few that might be available on a Saturday night in the City.

Lupa is an Italian Restaurant on 24th Street in Noe Valley that has been very accommodating for OLs, and usually doesn’t charge us corkage. Their stemware isn’t great, so we should bring our own if at all possible. The food is quite good–we usually order a smattering of appetizers and share a bunch of entrees. The bill is always very reasonable.

A MIddle Eastern place with a private room upstairs that has been very accommodating and comfortable for OLs in the past is Pera, in the Portero District. The food is decent and plentiful, and there’s plenty of room in that upstairs area for bottles and comfortable seating, if it’s available.

Pricier and also a challenge for Saturday at this late date is Piperade, the Basque place. The food is quite good there and they are very wine sensitive. It may be tough getting a large table, though, for a Saturday evening at this point.

I’ve also had good luck with a Greek place, Mezes, in the Marina, which also has an upstairs private area. That may or may not be available at this point for a Saturday gathering.

If you’d like me to make a reservation at any of these places, let me know.