San Francisco July 28?

I will be in town on business. Anyone interested in getting together that night for dinner? I also posted this on the other BB, but I can’t keep track of who is where and who isn’t anymore. I will be glad to coordinate.

Loren - I’d be interested depending on theme/venue. Happy to help coordinate as well.

Tony

Hey Tony, that’s great. Looking forward to seeing you again. I am open to theme and venue. Any suggestions? I would say to cap it at 8 or 10 people (assuming the interest). As you know my preference is to have flights rather than a huge vertical of the same wine. That way it works better with two or three courses of food.

Agreed and 8-10 is perfect. Totally open on theme but would prefer to do something at a restaurant that isn’t going to charge us $200 per person…

I am great with that. Its about the people first. Casual is great. I need vegetarian food though that seems easy out in SF. Any suggestions?

Almost all can do vegetarian so that won’t be a problem. It will eliminate a couple though and glad you reminded me. I’ll work on some options early next week.

I’d be interested.

-Al

I’m interested too! I’m thinking Alsatian, Rhone or a A Donkey & Goat red from across the Bay…

Sign me up. I am game.

Sounds good. Count me in.
We could go all vegetarian with Greens, in Fort Mason. They also have a very well priced wine list, with a lot of below market Bordeaux (they don’t seem to bother updating the prices). The food is excellent too.

Sounds great. I am looking forward to meeting all of you. Here is the list of attendees so far:

Tony Velebil
Al Osterheld
Paul Menkes
Gene Keenan
Richard Jennings
George Chadwick
Loren Sonkin

Greens sounds fine with me, if that is ok with everyone else. We have used Debroah Madison’s Cookbook for years (I know she is not there anymore), but that is all I know about the place. Do they allow corkage? I certainly don’t mind buying a bottle off the list though. Others?

Greens is ok with me. I have not eaten there in close to 5 years so it will be interesting to see if the food has improved at all.

Here’s a little info on the wine list, but unfortunately it doesn’t list prices: http://www.greensrestaurant.com/menu-wine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I called and learned that their corkage is $20, and that they only permit 2 personal cellar bottles per party. I asked if that 2 bottle per party limit could be waived if we order some bottles of the list, because of the kind of group we are, and the Dining Room Manager agreed, as long as we still pay corkage on our own bottles. He’s also emailing me the winelist so I can give you more ideas on bottles we could order off the list.

Another vegetarian possibility is Millenium Restaurant, which is the highest rated vegetarian restaurant in the SF area in Zagat (beating out Ubuntu by one point). They’re pricier than Greens, but they do have prix fixe options during the week that are quite reasonable. Here’s the link to their limited wine list: http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/menus/wine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Their corkage is $18 per bottle, and they don’t indicate a limit on numbers of personal bottles on the website.

Greens or Millenium work for me. I think Ed Kurtzman may be in as well.

I called Millenium to make sure they don’t have any limits on # of personal cellar bottles, and they don’t. There is one table that could accommodate up to 11 people (but for a wine dinner, would be much more comfortable at no more than 10, or less), so I went ahead and reserved that table, for 8 people, to keep our options open. For a group that size, they want you to start by 6:30 or earlier, or after 9 pm, so I made the reservation for 6:30.

It would be great if Easy E could join us.

Meanwhile, no wine list in my inbox yet from Greens, which has me a little disappointed.

That’s disappointing that Greens has a policy like that but it’s good they would make an exception.

Just an FYI: Millennium is a vegan restaurant (no dairy). I am ok with that, just thought everyone should know.

Millennium will also waive corkage for each bottle bought off the list - according to their website.

So, let’s discuss wine for this adventure…any thoughts? Themes? Loren, anything in particular you are jonesing for.

Millenium is also fine with me (another fine cookbook). I am pretty easy going about it. Samantha Sheehan indicated that she wanted to join us. That is 9 including Ed, so I think we should limit it there. The group is:

Tony Velebil
Al Osterheld
Paul Menkes
Gene Keenan
Richard Jennings
George Chadwick
Loren Sonkin
Samantha Sheehan
Ed Kurtzman?

Any ideas for wine? I will be glad to bring a bottle of Champagne to start us with (and something else once we settle on a theme(s)). It may be prudent for me to ship it out early next week if someone can recieve it for me. Otherwise, it may be pretty shook out by the time I get there (I arrive that day).

Thanks Richard for taking care of the reservations.

I just looked at the Millennium web site.

http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/menus/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am thinking maybe a couple of whites (after the Champagne), then some Pinots (perhaps Cal vs. Burgundy). And a couple of dessert wines? I am game for pretty much anything though. What are everyone else’s thoughts?

Thanks for including me! I can bring Burgundy or Champagne. Whichever there is more need for, I like the idea of CA vs Burg Pinot