I'm new to NYC, Let's Drink some Lumber

About a month and a half ago I moved to NYC and it has been quite the snowy experience so far for a California boy. I have been an Ebob boardmember for 5 years and I think I am one of the last few to make the move to Berserkers. I love to pull corks on great bottles of wine. So far I only have a case of my wine with me but I would love to set up something to meet a lot of the wine crowd here in and around the city. I have always read about some of the wine nights that are had here and I try to keep up in quite Carmel, Ca but now I am here to play. I know many of you will be attending La Paulee, as will I for some of the events, but it would be nicer to meet in a less frantic environment.

Lets do it like this, for now let’s just get a list of who is interested then we can line up a time, place and possibly a theme.

I am in. I can also help suggest BYOB friendly spots.

I’m in if the date and time works.

Certainly interested, depending on time/date…

intrested

Welcome … put me on the list

It’s great to see all the interest already. So that we can begin to try and pencil in a time and place lets try and look at the 3rd week in Feb. Any suggestions for a theme would be appreciated. I am a lover of all things French and German. I would be into anything burg, rhone, bord, alsace, riesling…any ideas or preferences. Also, although I moved here to work in the restaurant world I am yet to break the ice (pun intended) on the giant world of New York restaurants. If anyone has good ideas for BYOB places just throw them out there.
Thanks again and I am really looking forward to meeting some of the wine community out here.

Ben

Ben - As you will come to learn corkage/BYOB in NYC can be very tough. Doing this on a Monday will significantly increase the options.

Some thoughts:

Apiary - no corkage on Monday. Big wine crowd on Monday.

http://www.apiarynyc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edi & The Wolf - I can probably arrange no corkage on Monday (as long as we try something off the very reasonable list)

http://www.ediandthewolf.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trestle on Tenth - I can probably arrange no corkage on Monday. This is a nice place to do an offline because they have a large table in the back.

http://www.trestleontenth.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for a theme all of your choices sound excellent. I have slight preference for Northern Rhone.

Just some sugggestions open to all other venues…

I’m interested as well. I’ll second the Apiary recommendation.

Eric

someone throw out a date please, the suspense is killing me!

I get to NY very occasionally, but it turns out I have three things on Feb 10 (next Thurs)–a couple of business meetings and possibly a pop-in to Zachys. I know Thursday is tough for corkage, as well as short notice, but if enough people would be up for a dinner that night I could justify staying in the city…just a thought.

John

Would certainly be interested in something next Thursday as well if corkage can be worked out. (On an aside - when does Braeburn have its corkage-free nights?)

Braeburn closed…

http://www.braeburnrestaurant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damn - that’s a real shame.

Welcome to New York Ben.

NYC BYO forum>>> New York City, aka Manhattan and the boroughs BYO - BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would love to do a Monday Apiary night. Looks like I will be off every Monday through at least April, so pick a date and I’m in.

It sounds like a Monday is the best choice. I am yet to have visited Apiary but it sounds like the place to be. I did visit Terroir with a friend from the board and had a great time. I also have a couple friends that own Sorella in the LES. It could be a good option to take over the entire back room if we get enough interested, I am game for whatever and open to more suggestions. I do really love the northern Rhone as a theme, but I am also welcome to any rhone wines that would like to attend…I’m really into it for the company. We could even probably swing something at my place (Jean Georges) or at my girlfriends place (Per Se) we would have to include a couple chefs or somms of course but that only makes the night mores interesting.

Keep on bringing the newcomers and fresh interesting ideas…nothing is set in stone yet

I am in for a Monday at Apiary, or anytime that Per Se or JG can be managed… provided my cellar can meet the theme…

No other takers for next Thursday? Sorry Salil, but if it’s just you and me I’ll wait until I see you on 2/22!

La Silhouette is without a liquor license at the moment. New spot (2 weeks?). I brought in 4 bottles last Friday, no corkage at all. They’d love to have you I am certain. The Burgundy snail risotto killed.

Husband (Tito) /wife who worked Le Bern some time ago are the principals I think…Nice folks.

No affiliation, just love when my liquor bill = $0.

http://www.la-silhouettenyc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

53rd/9th.