Leo's Blind Tasting Club - Summary Schedule

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Leo's Blind Tasting Club - Summary Schedule

#51 Post by Gil Bauer » November 28th, 2010, 2:21 pm

salilb wrote: But if that's taken, put me down for October. I'll most likely be travelling for research during June/July/August, so can't take anything in the summer.
You don't want to do the first one before you start worrying about the second? There are plenty of us not yet signed up for round 2.

Hope to see you in a couple of weeks (less, actually).
ITB? - Wine Ambassador, City Wine Tours

Mswen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Mswen » January 3rd, 2011, 6:33 pm

Gil,

Put me down for Nov 2011.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Swenarton

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Jay Miller » February 4th, 2011, 12:02 pm

so long as this is the official summary thread I was wondering if we could get the original dinners added onto the list as well as a form of history?

IIRC the first three were Leo, me, then Greg but I don't remember what month they started last year or who came after that.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by L e o F r o k i c » February 5th, 2011, 2:58 am

David Lazer was July
Jay Hack was June
Ben Goldberg was May
Cheryl Mills was in April
Greg del Piaz was March
Jay Miller was February
Leo January
"Hey Justin -- yer a fookin' dork!" Bob Wood
My wife is ITB

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Jay Miller » February 5th, 2011, 3:05 pm

L e o F r o k i c wrote:David Lazer was July
Jay Hack was June
Ben Goldberg was May
Greg del Piaz was March
Jay Miller was February
Leo January
Thanks Leo!

So it's been well over a year. Thank you again for getting this going!

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Gil Bauer » February 9th, 2011, 7:10 am

Jay Miller wrote:
L e o F r o k i c wrote:David Lazer was July
Jay Hack was June
Ben Goldberg was May
Greg del Piaz was March
Jay Miller was February
Leo January
Thanks Leo!

So it's been well over a year. Thank you again for getting this going!
Post #1 has been updated to reflect the history as well as future events.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by J a y H a c k » April 6th, 2011, 7:21 am

Since my minor procedure/major abdominal surgery (what they called it the night before/what they called it the day after) necessitated the cancelling of the March dinner, I am fishing for an alternate date. I would like to see how people feel about Wednesday, September 15, 2011. It's my 60th birthday and would certainly justify pulling out all the stops for some completely ridiculous wine I have burried in the hidden reaches of the cellar. And it would give me an excuse to go with something silly, like 6 flights of 3 wines each just to make sure we had a full opportunity to taste at least one bottle that each of you might like.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Jay Miller » April 12th, 2011, 12:05 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:Since my minor procedure/major abdominal surgery (what they called it the night before/what they called it the day after) necessitated the cancelling of the March dinner, I am fishing for an alternate date. I would like to see how people feel about Wednesday, September 15, 2011. It's my 60th birthday and would certainly justify pulling out all the stops for some completely ridiculous wine I have burried in the hidden reaches of the cellar. And it would give me an excuse to go with something silly, like 6 flights of 3 wines each just to make sure we had a full opportunity to taste at least one bottle that each of you might like.

Hi Jay,

I just realized that you might not be checking your email very frequently post-operation so I thought I'd post here as well since I haven't heard back yet. Please let me know if you know yet whether you and/or Rebecca will be able to make my blind dinner on May 1.

I realize you're probably still recovering so if you can't decide yet just let me know that and I'll hold the spaces for you.

Best,
Jay

Benjamin Goldberg

#59 Post by Benjamin Goldberg » June 7th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Folks,

I'm hosting the July dinner, so need to find a date. How does Monday, July 11 work for you? Feel free to email your response.

-Ben

Benjamin Goldberg

#60 Post by Benjamin Goldberg » June 8th, 2011, 9:07 am

Folks,

Amazingly, every response to my Monday, July 11 proposal was positive -- so the date is decided. Please mark your calendars.

Here is the list of respondents:

1. Ben
2. Jeff L.
3. David
4. Caroline
5. Suzanne
6. Gil
7. Josh
8. Jay M.
9. Mark
10. Jeremy

Let’s set a limit of 11, with the last place held for Leo (as our founder).

-Ben

Alan C h a n

Leo's Blind Tasting Club - Summary Schedule

#61 Post by Alan C h a n » June 17th, 2011, 8:02 am

Hi everyone,

I'd love to rejoin the rotation if there's room (I attended the first two but bowed out due to scheduling and budgeting issues that are no longer an issue)... In the meanwhile I have been quietly squirreling away wines that would be good for a blind tasting, so I am prepared to host anytime. Was a decision made on whether the group is taking Aug and December off?
The Amateur Wino wine blog

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Gil Bauer » June 28th, 2011, 8:27 am

Alan C h a n wrote:Hi everyone,

I'd love to rejoin the rotation if there's room (I attended the first two but bowed out due to scheduling and budgeting issues that are no longer an issue)... In the meanwhile I have been quietly squirreling away wines that would be good for a blind tasting, so I am prepared to host anytime. Was a decision made on whether the group is taking Aug and December off?
Alan - as indicated earlier in the thread, I am not in charge of anything, I just track the months people have agreed to host. With that proviso, my current sense is that we may not truly have a spot open. We have 13 active "hosts" -- (excluding Cheryl currently in the UK) which is more that we can seat for a given dinner. Of course, usually there are some schedule conflicts and sometimes some late cancellations. However, I don't think we want to get into a position where previous hosts are "shut out" of the next dinner because they didn't respond quickly enough. We have had several dinners that were "maxed out" -- though most recently we had a couple of late cancellations.

Given that you were part of the group from the start, I would propose that you have "first alternate" status; that is, if we wind up with an open spot, you get an email before we invite other "non-hosts." If you wind up attending a few dinners this way, then we can schedule you to host, as well. Please PM me your email address, if you would like to be alerted when there are openings.

Of course, others in the group may have a different point of view (I encourage them to respond as well). This is just my initial thought.

Alan C h a n

#63 Post by Alan C h a n » June 28th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Hi Gil, thanks for your response. Knowing the preference given to prior hosts, I figured it might take a while before there are open spots for any of the dinners, so what you had in mind is very much what I imagined as well. I'd be happy to be an alternate and work my way back in over time as availability allows. Thanks! Will PM you my email information now.

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by L e o F r o k i c » June 30th, 2011, 12:24 am

I'll take March of 2012
My wife is ITB

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Gil Bauer » June 30th, 2011, 4:11 am

L e o F r o k i c wrote:I'll take March of 2012
Leo, let's discuss. I think there are a few other people who ought to take a turn before you go for a 3rd time. Give me a few days to try to touch base.

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by L e o F r o k i c » June 30th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Gil Bauer wrote:
L e o F r o k i c wrote:I'll take March of 2012
Leo, let's discuss. I think there are a few other people who ought to take a turn before you go for a 3rd time. Give me a few days to try to touch base.
That's fine with me, thanks for taking initiative to keep things straight.
My wife is ITB

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by J a y H a c k » July 4th, 2011, 11:55 am

I've lost track of whether I get March or April of 2012 but I'll take either one. And September 2011.

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Gil Bauer » July 4th, 2011, 12:23 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:I've lost track of whether I get March or April of 2012 but I'll take either one. And September 2011.
You got April 2012. The first post on the first page is almost always (and currently) up-to-date.

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by L e o F r o k i c » July 28th, 2011, 4:35 am

I'll take a June of 2012
My wife is ITB

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Jay Miller » July 28th, 2011, 6:17 am

Hmm, I usually go on vacation in July and we skip August so I'll claim September 2012 thus ending my "one month after Leo" streak.

SteveC

#71 Post by SteveC » August 15th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Gentlemen, (please excuse xcuse me if there are ladies who are part of this group, but based upon the posts, it appears to be all men),I would LOVE to join your group. I will happily organize and bring wines one month. I have a fairly strong cellar (4,900 bottles and growing) and can furnish some very good wines to go with a great meal.

I am not sure if you are looking for an additional member, but if you are, I would love to join. I work in the city and live in Westchester.

Please let me know if there is an opening!

Thanks!

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by L e o F r o k i c » August 16th, 2011, 4:24 am

SteveC wrote:Gentlemen, (please excuse xcuse me if there are ladies who are part of this group, but based upon the posts, it appears to be all men),I would LOVE to join your group. I will happily organize and bring wines one month. I have a fairly strong cellar (4,900 bottles and growing) and can furnish some very good wines to go with a great meal.

I am not sure if you are looking for an additional member, but if you are, I would love to join. I work in the city and live in Westchester.

Thanks!
Steve, you're welcome to Join. There are great ladies in our group. I also leave in Westchester and if you love old world wines and have kids under age of 10 we should get together.
My wife is ITB

SteveC

#73 Post by SteveC » August 16th, 2011, 4:36 am

pepsi
L e o F r o k i c wrote:
SteveC wrote:Gentlemen, (please excuse xcuse me if there are ladies who are part of this group, but based upon the posts, it appears to be all men),I would LOVE to join your group. I will happily organize and bring wines one month. I have a fairly strong cellar (4,900 bottles and growing) and can furnish some very good wines to go with a great meal.

Thanks!
Steve, you're welcome to Join. There are great ladies in our group. I also leave in Westchester and if you love old world wines and have kids under age of 10 we should get together.
Leo,

My kids ages range from 8-13 (4 of them!). I love Old World. My collection is a mix of old and new, as I got on the California mailing list frenzy over a decade ago and bought way too many wines. I definitely prefer Old World, but have an appreciation for the new world as well.

Where in Westchester are you? I am in Chappaqua.
Ste ve C o yl e
""Too Much Wine, Too Little Time"
"Life is Too Short to Drink Bad Wine."
"Damn You GC, You Have Cost Me Loads of Money by Introducing Me to This Obsession!!"

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by L e o F r o k i c » August 16th, 2011, 7:56 am

Cool, 13 year old can babysit. Mine are 3, 7 and 9. I'm in Eastchester.
My wife is ITB

SteveC

#75 Post by SteveC » August 17th, 2011, 12:33 pm

L e o F r o k i c wrote:Cool, 13 year old can babysit. Mine are 3, 7 and 9. I'm in Eastchester.
Leo, mine are 8, 10, 11 and 13. The 13 is a girl and loves to babysit. Let's make a plan
Ste ve C o yl e
"Damn You GC, You Have Cost Me Loads of Money by Introducing Me to This Obsession!!"

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by scamhi » August 17th, 2011, 12:38 pm

hey you two... take your dating to PM. I keep getting notifications.
I am doing October better get planning.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by L e o F r o k i c » August 17th, 2011, 12:56 pm

scamhi wrote:hey you two... take your dating to PM. I keep getting notifications.
I am doing October better get planning.
I love you too! flirtysmile
My wife is ITB

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by J a y H a c k » August 24th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Leo - can you make it to September? We have 8 plus me and Rebecca so far at Del Friscos. Gonna be a real blow out.

SteveC

#79 Post by SteveC » August 24th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Leo, I will take October 2012. If something opens before then, let me know, and I will take it. July is the only bad month for me.
Ste ve C o yl e

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Gil Bauer » August 24th, 2011, 7:07 pm

SteveC wrote:Leo, I will take October 2012. If something opens before then, let me know, and I will take it. July is the only bad month for me.
Caveat: I said that I would keep track of the months people were hosting. I am not in charge of anything. But,

In spite of Leo's assurances to the contrary -- and in spite of the fact that this thread and "club" bears Leo's name, it is not clear to me that we have an "open spot" at the moment. If you look upthread, you will see that Alan Chan came to the first first few, was absent for the past year or so, and is now looking to rejoin. We created a "first alternate" status for him -- so that when we are not full he is the next one in. If he winds up coming to a few more, he will probably host and would seem to have "dibs" on the next open spot. If you would like to have the same kind of status, that makes sense to me. The issue, of course, is that we already have more than 12 recurring hosts -- and even if we are only tasting, it is hard to divide a bottle more than 12 ways at a dinner. If a given date works for everyone, then someone who has hosted may wind up on a waiting list -- we want to avoid this. If we have space at a given event, there is no problem inviting other/additional people.

Of course, per the caveat, this is only my point of view and needs to be confirmed, challenged, etc. by the group. I invite others to comment.

SteveC

#81 Post by SteveC » August 24th, 2011, 9:45 pm

Gil Bauer wrote:
SteveC wrote:We created a "first alternate" status for him -- so that when we are not full he is the next one in. If he winds up coming to a few more, he will probably host and would seem to have "dibs" on the next open spot. If you would like to have the same kind of status, that makes sense to me. The issue, of course, is that we already have more than 12 recurring hosts -- and even if we are only tasting, it is hard to divide a bottle more than 12 ways at a dinner. If a given date works for everyone, then someone who has hosted may wind up on a waiting list -- we want to avoid this. If we have space at a given event, there is no problem inviting other/additional people.

Of course, per the caveat, this is only my point of view and needs to be confirmed, challenged, etc. by the group. I invite others to comment.
No problem Gil. I didn't mean to step on toes. I would love to be on the waiting list if someone drops and something opens up, I would love to join/host.

Thanks
Ste ve C o yl e

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by L e o F r o k i c » August 25th, 2011, 4:01 am

Gil Bauer wrote:
SteveC wrote:Leo, I will take October 2012. If something opens before then, let me know, and I will take it. July is the only bad month for me.
Caveat: I said that I would keep track of the months people were hosting. I am not in charge of anything. But,

In spite of Leo's assurances to the contrary -- and in spite of the fact that this thread and "club" bears Leo's name, it is not clear to me that we have an "open spot" at the moment. If you look upthread, you will see that Alan Chan came to the first first few, was absent for the past year or so, and is now looking to rejoin. We created a "first alternate" status for him -- so that when we are not full he is the next one in. If he winds up coming to a few more, he will probably host and would seem to have "dibs" on the next open spot. If you would like to have the same kind of status, that makes sense to me. The issue, of course, is that we already have more than 12 recurring hosts -- and even if we are only tasting, it is hard to divide a bottle more than 12 ways at a dinner. If a given date works for everyone, then someone who has hosted may wind up on a waiting list -- we want to avoid this. If we have space at a given event, there is no problem inviting other/additional people.

Alternate sounds good to me. As we said from the beginning, hosts will always have preference but we will be welcoming to new members. 90% of times we had spots open and had to invite random people so having two alternates should work fine.

Steve,

Maybe we should look into having Westchester edition of the Blind club as there's already a Long Island one.
My wife is ITB

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Gil Bauer » August 25th, 2011, 6:58 am

No problem at this end. No toes were stepped on. You are offering to host a dinner, which is very generous. I am just trying to keep some "fair order" around the dinners. Steve, if you will PM me your direct email address, I will try to make sure hosts include it on their email invites with the understanding that you are an "alternate." (much of the "organization" of dinners now takes place away from the Board) As Leo points out, there is a fine line between having too many people and too few; so having alternates is great (though I don't remember any truly "random" people showing up ;) ).

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by L e o F r o k i c » August 25th, 2011, 10:53 am

J a y H a c k wrote:Leo - can you make it to September? We have 8 plus me and Rebecca so far at Del Friscos. Gonna be a real blow out.
As of now I can't, Connie has a dinner with the client that night
My wife is ITB

Jeff Lewis

#85 Post by Jeff Lewis » September 25th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Can I take July 2012?

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Gil Bauer » September 25th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Jeff Lewis wrote:Can I take July 2012?
Yes. I will update the list. I meant to respond when you asked via email.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by J a y H a c k » September 29th, 2011, 6:32 pm

It's getting complicated because there are two of us, and our attendance is sometimes two, sometimes one, sometimes none, but I think we should take October 2012 since I managed to blow March 2011 just to lose a gall bladder.

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Gil Bauer » September 30th, 2011, 10:11 am

J a y H a c k wrote:It's getting complicated because there are two of us, and our attendance is sometimes two, sometimes one, sometimes none, but I think we should take October 2012 since I managed to blow March 2011 just to lose a gall bladder.
The initial post has been updated to reflect this.

ajay acharya

#89 Post by ajay acharya » October 18th, 2011, 7:40 am

Gil Bauer wrote:
J a y H a c k wrote:It's getting complicated because there are two of us, and our attendance is sometimes two, sometimes one, sometimes none, but I think we should take October 2012 since I managed to blow March 2011 just to lose a gall bladder.
The initial post has been updated to reflect this.
Would love to tag onto the next dinner or the next... I'll donate blind through the host, if host obliges, since hosting is not something I can easily do, living in southern NJ. (Fiancee is an opera singer in SUNY Purchase, so I'm in Westchester a lot).

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by L e o F r o k i c » October 18th, 2011, 10:31 am

Ajay,

We're pretty much full but sometimes dinners don't fill up and we post in offline planners if there's spot open. I live close to Purchase so shot me an email when you're here so we can share a bottle.
My wife is ITB

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Gil Bauer » November 15th, 2011, 7:19 am

I have updated the first post to reflect discussions from last night (previous hosts not at the dinner should feel free to chime in here) -- Lazer/Levy scheduled for next November -- and Alan Chan added to the "future host" list -- tentatively for December 2012. Alan, please let me know if that month does not work for you or if there are any other issues. You retain "alternate" status until you host.

Alan C h a n

#92 Post by Alan C h a n » November 26th, 2011, 5:52 pm

December 2012 should be just fine. Looking forward to it, have most of the flights planned already!

Benjamin Goldberg

#93 Post by Benjamin Goldberg » January 14th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Gil,

I can host in February 2013, if it's still available.

-Ben

salilb

#94 Post by salilb » January 15th, 2012, 5:16 am

I'll take March 2013.
B℮n℮gaɭ

Josh Leader
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by Josh Leader » January 21st, 2012, 12:20 pm

I'll take May 2013.

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by L e o F r o k i c » January 22nd, 2012, 5:31 am

I'll take Sept 2013
My wife is ITB

Gil Bauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Gil Bauer » January 22nd, 2012, 7:16 am

Josh Leader wrote:I'll take May 2013.
Let's discuss this on Sunday. If you take May, you are jumping ahead of me and Jeremy (and maybe Jay H. and/or the Lazer/Levys by the time we are in summer 2013) -- and all of that will affect whether Leo is up for September. I gave Salil March because he said his class schedule made it a much better month for him than several of the alternatives...

Josh Leader
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Josh Leader » January 22nd, 2012, 12:30 pm

That's fine. No rush for me. I haven't even hosted my second dinner yet so didn't want to get too far behind.

Jeff Lewis

#99 Post by Jeff Lewis » March 23rd, 2012, 8:59 am

I'd like to take July 2013 in addition to my July 2012 slot, just so I dont get too far behind.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by J a y H a c k » July 24th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Bump. I just didn't want this to get lost. Rebecca and I are wroking on an interesting plan for October. No worries, though. It will be midtown Manhattan at a restaurant that is convenient to subways and the like.

Return to “Offline Planner”