Long Beach April 16 - South American wines

7 pm, Thursday, April 16
http://www.charosperuvian.com
7563 Carson St., Long Beach
Long Beach Town Center, off the 605 at Carson St.
562-627-0087

Well, due to scheduling snafus, we had a little hiccup in the Long Beach offline scene, but we’re back in April con venganza!. This time, we’ll be exploring and commingling the wines of South America with the foods of Peru at the LBC’s finest Peruvian restaurant, Charo’s.

Peruvian cuisine is a fascinating mix of native, European and Asian elements. Only perhaps in Idaho is the potato more revered, but that barely scratches the surface of this multifaceted culinary culture. You can peek through the menu in the link above for some examples and inspirations.

Please bring your favorite South American wines to tap into the rich vein of substantial yet largely undiscovered vinous riches that the continent can boast - Chilean Carmenère, Argentine Torrontes and Malbec, and even that very dark horse, Uruguayan Tannat. We’ll only be charged a very nominal $2.50pp for corkage, but this is dependent upon each diner providing their own stemware.

Our reservation is for the first 12 intrepid souls who book our trans-equatorial journey, so sign up quickly.

Attendees

1. Kriss Reed
  2. Carolyn Stoops
  3. Cris Whetstone
  4. Glenn Murlin
  5. Chris White
  6. Eldon Gath
  7. Rob Winn
  8. Bennett Traub
  9. Augie Hug
  10. Leslie Goldsmith Fisher
  11. Veronica Castro
  12. +1

I’m in.

Man, wish I could make this. I have Don Melchor 2005 back to 1999.

So Cal roadie for Tex! [good.gif]

Not a chance the week before Flannery Fest II.

Good point. Maybe Wetrock can channel your aura in absentia. [berserker.gif]

Please bring a camcorder for that event. [gheyfight.gif]

His task may be harder than I thought. There are no lamb or mutton dishes on the menu. [bye2.gif]

Oh come on . . . .it’s the warm up party!

Kriss, I’m in! I don’t see you on line. . .let me go see if you’re hiding over on that “other” board.

Hey - I’m in too, but I already posted this, and somehow I disappeared. I hate that!!

You didn’t add ‘pain g r i l l e’ in your post, did you?

I cannot spell French - but my next post disappeared too???

Third time?? Three stikes??

What I said before was that I was looking for some help in deciding what to bring.
I have a “few” decent South American wines, such as:

1997 Norton, Privada, Owner’s Reserve, blend
1999 Catena Alta, Malbec
2000 Achával Ferrer, blend
2001 Don Melchor, Cabernet Sauvignon
2001 Almaviva, blend
2002 Luca, Altos de Mendoza, Malbec
2002 Perdriel, Del Centenario, blend
2002 Yali, Gran Reserva, Carménere
… and a few more. None of these should suck.

Any preferences?

Someone delete this man’s post!

Maybe it is the Shining Path?

Lots of good names there and even with some age on them. I think the Ferrer is supposed to be great but South America is not my bailiwick. Kriss?

No assault weapons or Molotov Cocktails please.

I have had all of these except the Perdriel (WS-92), the Achával Ferrer (a Malbec, CS, Merlot blend), and the Almaviva (WS-95). As I said, none of them suck. I do not know Peruvian food from the man in the moon however. Though, I do grow Peruvian peppers.

Eldon, you are right. Your list is short on suckage. Although I think the Catena may be the back end of an interesting comparison with the newer '05 Catena Zapata Nicasia I plan to bring, I would really love to see an Achaval Ferrer at the table. You could swing a stick at those choices and come up with any winner, though.

BTW, I have Don Melchor, too. I’d have to visit my locker to check vintages, and I think I have the 2001 Almaviva as well. Actually, I need to see what all I’ve got. shrug.gif] I’ll find out, post later, and get preferences. Okay??