Mike on Tour (at last!) -- New Jersey, May 6

I still have to reach out to a few people to get some coordinating done, but would love to get together for dinner with the locals if we can. I’ll again be planning to stay with friends in Basking Ridge and the husband may want to join me for any dinner, as he did the last time I was through. Just putting this up for now as a placeholder for people to chime in as to whether they’re available and interested. Thanks much in advance

Mike

Interested, will watch for details.

I am interested as well. Looks like the current NYC dates won’t work for me.

OK, would be great to meet you Matt and definitely to see you again, Gil. I’ve reached out to David Frankil and will also get back in touch with Sherri Shapiro and others to see if we can put something together. Thanks for responding.

Mike

Sounds like fun. I’m in Jersey City. When do you expect to share details? I also posted in the NYC posts. I’m new to offlines but would love to make new wine friends.

Very sorry to drop out – but something I had on Saturday just got moved to Friday night. Will not be able to attend.

May be available that night, plenty of byob places in the area

Thanks everyone—can anyone step up to offer to organize? I am still overdue to reach out to a few other people via PMs and I may wish to bring at least 1 guest to a dinner, but am hoping we can put something together.

Mike

Heard that you may be in Cranford on 5/6, a short walk up town for me. Is there a group set yet?

We’re getting there, yes Chris. It looks like we’ll target Oasis—hope you can join!

This area of town is like a little Mediterranean restaurant area, a Moroccan, a Greek, a Lebanese, and an Italian place at the same intersection.

It’s a great intersection and a wonderful example of affordable local restaurants. Sadly, the Italian place changed hands a few years back and I find the new version to be a hard pass for me.

Please put me on the attendees list + 1.

Ok. I will add you + 1, thanks Matt. I have to do a head count but I think we’re up to 10 people or so

Mike and crew,
Sad I just missed this, how did the offline go? Any interest in a regular offline in the Basking Ridge area?

I’m hard pressed to say whether I dislike Oasis, Ambelli or the Italian place most. All hard passes for me.

Really? I’m surprised. Don’t get me wrong, none of these restaurants are fine dining. But Ambeli and Old City Grill are perfectly fine for a quick meal. They are rarely/never a weekend place for us and they aren’t anywhere near Common Lot or One Hundred Steps, but with Le Rendevous going OOB and Summit House having a liquor license, there aren’t that many local places that hold my interest.

Any places in the area that you do like?

I’m ok with Old City Grill for lunch or a quick dinner. Only local place we go to consistently is Wasai. Actually going there tonight. We really should get back to 100 steps. We’ve only been once since they reopened.

Meant to add Wasai to the list. It’s excellent.

FWIW, I think that describing OCG as good for a quick dinner is spot on. I feel the same about Ambeli although I prefer OCG. But again, I compare them to what else is out there locally and in that case, I think they compare pretty well.

Ah, Paul–(if my memory is right) I think Christine H. and the Tuesday Night Supper Club has spoiled you :wink: We have a lot of good Mediterranean in Toronto and Oasis was not substandard IMO.

Josh–yes, sorry we missed you and welcome to the board. Next time, I hope! The friends I stay with are in Basking Ridge and last time I did this tour we ate at Bistro 73 in Bernardsville.