Dallas - recommendations for BYOB

My husband and I just moved to Dallas (from sunny San Clemente - quite close to Mr. French :wink:.

Looking for recommendations on BYOBs. We live in the city (uptown), so looking for something local.

Yup, from ‘quite close to Mr. French’ to ‘quite close to Mr. French’s daughter’ - Ella’s at TCU!

Kane, get in here and help the man out.

Reach out to Joe Dulworth. He knows them all. Urbano Cafe is close by. https://www.urbanodallas.com/

I live elsewhere but I’ve been to Urbano twice now with some of the locals and I second Michael’s recommendation.

I wish I had been able to meet up on your last visit but my daughter came first. See you next time.

1 Like

Next time Mr French will be in Dallas (or Ft Worth) Mr Roby might need to come down and buy him a good filet. Love me some Dallas steakhouses.

Vote #3 for Urbano- it is the only reliable BYO I know in the central area. Good BYOB options for serving really good wines are not easy to come by in Dallas of late. Going north yields better results.

If you are going to be storing wine offsite, ask about organized wine dinners and such when seeking a place to store your wine. Most of the better wine storage facilities here have lounges, some with full kitchens, plus very regular tasting events in various forms, and so that is really the center of the BYOB universe here, IMHO.

Urbano is go to for us. Also little known But Uchi allows corkage in uptown. I really like it. Sushi place with some good dishes on there. Wine list is fairly decent but we tend to BYO.

1 Like

Another vote for Urbano. I regretfully moved to Dallas from DC several years ago and it’s the only quality place that I know of that is BYOB and close to Uptown. I’m sure in the burbs there are options, but I am not aware of them.

Isn’t it illegal or something?

If you have a liquor license.

If the restaurant has a liquor license it is illegal. If they only have a beer and wine license, it is legal. But many of those restaurants don’t allow it so they can make their margins on wine.

Urbano gets another vote. I live up farther NW of Dallas in a burb, and still don’t know of any good places close to me that have food worth a crap.

The best, though, is Petra and the Beast if you can score reservations for their tasting menu.

Food is excellent ala carte for lunch, but dinner can be really special. That’s where my crew went for our 1969 Chappellet tasting (and a bunch of other Tognis).

Brad and I went to Urbano tonight (Tuesday) and it was packed. Seemed to have a few wine groups here and we were told there’s a nice room in the back for groups.

Would love to go again with a fellow group of wine fiends. Let us know if there’s interest! Dalllas and at Urbano!

How was the glassware? It’s been a few years since I was there and I feel like I recall very small bowls.

I always bring my own stemware to Urbano’s as do everybody else I know from various tasting groups.

Last night they had nice, decent glasses. They were rimless, which was nice and very suitable for the Quilceda Creek that we brought

1 Like

Hey Dallas peeps! I’m coming to town and doing a very impromptu tasting this coming Friday at Classic Wine Storage (getting confirmation of which specific location). This will be very low key, with me pouring many of my latest releases, including my first ever Pinots. Please reach out if you’re interested in more info - or perhaps want to get together afterwards for an impromptu dinner, too.

Cheers!

Larry, we are going to be in Deer Valley skiing when you’re here and will miss you! Would have loved to join both for the tasting and for a dinner. (and it would have been great to meet more of the Dallas wine fiends!!!).

Hope all’s well with you sir! Mark & Brad

Depending on which location, I would like to come. Of course we are expecting freezing rain, sleet, and possible icy streets on Wednesday and Thursday but they should be clear by Friday. Welcome to Texas.