Offline in San Francisco (July 23)

Hi all, it’s been too long since we had an offline and I’d like to rectify matters. There’s a nice little French bistro that I know on 5th St called Mathilde, where K&L has held all kinds of successful events, and I’d like to see if there’s interest in a small offline of about 10 people or so. The owner of Mathilde, in one of those little quirks of fate, was my landlady when I first moved to SF and I have always had a soft spot for the place. If you’re interested, please post here and I’ll add you to the list, and also send me your email address via DM when you get a chance. First come first served, and I’ll start a waitlist if there is excess interest. Finally, please do not reserve a spot unless you are sure you can make it! [cheers.gif]

Date/time: July 23, 7pm
Place: Mathilde French Bistro (315 5th St, San Francisco 94107)
Theme: bring whatever pleases you that you’d like to share with others French wine please, anything within that broad constraint [cheers.gif]
Food: traditional. I love their duck confit and the tarte tatin is excellent. Menu here: Menu — Mathilde French Bistro
Corkage: I’ll try and negotiate down corkage, but no promises, and we’re going to tip bigly regardless
Payment: we’ll order as normal, leave a generous tip, and split the check. Please be prepared to Venmo/Paypal me at the end of the evening. Trust me, it’ll be a good value

Attendees:

1. Yao C
  2. Yao’s +1
  3. Andy K
  4. Andy’s +1
  5. Stephen C
  6. Stephen’s +1
  7. Craig G
  8. Vince T
  9. Jon H
  10. Craig’s +1

Waitlist:

1. Khang T
  2. Khang’s +1
  3. Kyle C
  4. Zac M

I’ll try to make this if you’ll have me.

Would love to [cheers.gif]

+1?

My wife is geek-intolerant. I’ll check with a friend, though.

1 Like

I’d love to come, thanks Yao. It’ll just be me.

1 Like

I’m down!

Do they have decent glassware?

“Anything that pleases to share” is a pretty broad theme! Will you want to coordinate in advance, so we don’t end up with 10 Ausleses? :slight_smile: And I assume this will be non-blind?

Agree with Vince.

It’s a French bistro, so it makes all the sense in the world to bring French wine IMO. That’s still pretty broad, but narrows it a little bit.

I vote non-blind. If we are trying to spread 750ml bottles across ~10 people, there won’t really be an opportunity to revisit much of anything.

French is good, it’s mostly what I have anyway haha

Good question! Their glassware is… adequate. I recommend bringing your own :slight_smile:

Oh yes, please feel free to post about what you might bring. Here and there people have brought mystery bottles in foil and that’s cool if you want to do that, but by and large this will be non-blind

Hmm… then the question becomes: how many glasses should I bring? 4 Grassl Libertes probably does the trick

I would like to join as well. +1.
French wine would be fun.

Hi Khang, I’m afraid we only have room for one more. So you’re ok to join but your +1 will have to go on waitlist. Will that be ok?

If there’s still room, I’m +1.

Craig G should have the last spot. We will go on the waitlist.
Thanks

1 Like

Sounds good thanks guys

Now that we’re <2 weeks away I’ve been thinking about what to bring, and have the following shortlist:

2013 Pierre Peters Chetillons that I want to sample early, for science
2004 Ramonet Vergers
2001 Moine-Hudelot Chambolle Feusselottes
1995 Lynch Bages
1989 VCC

Let me know what you guys are thinking, and if you have any preferences wrt the above

Looking forward to whatever you bring, but my vote would be 89 VCC.

I had the 13 Chetillons in February and it is really nice. I scored it a 96/100 FWIW (TN on CT or Instagram).

I’ll put some thought into it and share my short list also

Somehow I missed this posting and delighted to see offlines starting up again in SF. I’m late to the game to join this one but will certainly try in the future. Cheers everyone!

If you want to bring 1989 VCC, I could bring 1990.

I have an 06 VCC but not really same era

If we are interested in having a focus on Bdx with age, I do have an 86 CdE, and a few different 82 left banks