RieslingStudy #5 Rule of Thirds Sunday, May 16th 12-4pm 5-9 Afterpary added!

Coming off a fantastic, albeit small, RieslingStudy #4 Aged Kabinett and Nordic Cuisine at Aska I am excited to begin work on the final arrangements for RieslingStudy #5 which will be held on Sunday, May 16th from 12-4 at Rule of Thirds in Brooklyn. The theme will be simply BYOB similar to the Atoboy and Ops ones. It will be outside and there will be some COVID protocols in place. Trying to keep the costs as reasonable as possible so we can be as inclusive as possible, it looks like it will be around $100+tax and maybe tip. Just a friendly reminder 100% of the costs go directly to the restaurant and I personally juice the tip and bring at least 10-15 wines. There will also be an opportunity to buy some special selections including some rare Sake and German wines off their list that I would encourage a few people to do if they can because the restaurant is doing their best to keep the per person cost down.

Rule of Thirds is a wonderful casual Japanese restaurant run by the former mgr and chef of Okonomi.

Sarah hosted an event there and you can see her comments here:

I will post final details here in a week or so. If you want to make sure you are on the email list when it goes out, please DM with your email.

1 Like

Tickets were just released for this.

You can buy them here:

Details on the event below. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

rieslingstudy 005@
Rule of Thirds, Brooklyn, NY
Sunday May 16th, 12-4pm
join @soilpimp and @vomboden for an outdoor celebration of the magic that happens
when German Riesling dances with Japanese cuisine

daytime izakaya easy-eating menu by Chef JT
and special sake & Riesling menu:
$95.00 + tax and 20% tip

FREE corkage for all RIESLING BOTTLES;
support NYC restaurants AND you may very well enjoy some rarities and special selections from the cellars of @soilpimp and @vomboden
order

{ come support NYC restaurants in a safe, outdoor setting as the city begins to come alive }
Please join us outside on Sunday May 16th from noon to 4pm, as we turn our attention to Chef JT Vuong’s incredible Japanese cuisine at Rule of Thirds in Brooklyn, New York.

@soilpimp has known Chef JT Vuong and General Manager George Padilla for many years as a regular at their prior restaurant, the cult Japanese breakfast spot Okonomi. Chef JT will design a Japanese izakaya-style meal specifically to pair with Riesling. We don’t have all the details yet, but expect some of his signatures including Japanese fried chicken (using potato starch and a bright ginger soy to keep it gluten-free and super lively), mushroom, chicken and pork skewers.

We could not be more excited to partner with them for this event.

This will be a BYOB event so bring whatever you want, as long as it’s Riesling. If you don’t have any special bottles you want to bring, don’t worry, Padilla will have a curated Riesling + sake bar set up with selections from @vomboden.

Finally, for those of you who have never experienced @rieslingstudy, please understand the event will be buoyed with rare selections from the cellars of @soilpimp and @vomboden, including but not limited to, Egon Müller, the holy trinity of Keller Grand Cru dry Rieslings and Lauer Grand Cru dry Rieslings (the GGs), rarities from Emrich-Schönleber and Schäfer-Fröhlich, selections from the 1970s and surprises from Baden, Franken and Swabia.

If the boat lands in time, @vomboden will bring a trio of 2019 Keller Kabinetts, including Hipping, Pettenthal and Schubertslay.

For all this, tickets are only $95 plus tax and a 20% gratuity: It’s time to help support and rebuild one of the greatest restaurant cities on earth. Please join us.

Given the track record of the previous four @rieslingstudies, tickets will sell out quickly.

Jonathan and I are in and so excited for this event!

Honestly, folks, the combination of Riesling, Rule of Thirds awesome vibe, and Chef JT’s food is not to be missed!

Super excited for this. Can’t seem to purchase a single or even 2 tickets though. Seems only bundles of 3 or 4 are available

EDIT: F it, bought 3 tickets. Any berserker who wants to come, hit me up since I now have extra

My apologies Rodrigo there was an unforseen glitch with Resy. It you need any help filling those seats I will make sure it gets done.

Amazingly we sold out almost immediately.

The funny thing is that I asked the restaurant to set up a resy system so it would be easier than me managing a spreadsheet because what I have learned from the past larger events is that people are non-committal and it gets hard to manage 20-30 maybes.

It is going to be an absolutely great event!

No worries Robert, not even your fault really. Another Berserker reached out and is taking the other 2 tickets so it seems it worked out well.

So glad it worked out Rodrigo.

If anyone else had trouble reserving I am still sorting it out. We did sell out very quickly but what happened is that the system will not allow reservations for 1 because of the new covid regulations you need authorized permission from the guest to sit them at a communal table or with someone else which I does make sense just not relevant for this type of event. We have reached out to everyone we could and are trying to work it out.

One other note I honestly had no idea what to expect given some people are still not comfortable dining out. I was hopeful that the combination of outdoor dining and that many people are fully vaccinated that we would fill it but I was not sure.

Thanks all for your patience.

May I reserve spots - 2? More? let me know what’s available.

Jay it is unfortunately sold out. I will put you top on the waitlist.

So annoyed I saw this now. Grrr

We have added a 5-9 after-party. No charge. Just show up.

I will let you all know if any seats become available.

Please DM me your email address if you would like to be on the mailing list for future events.

so do you have any cancellations?