Diamond Creek from the 1970s: N

The Diamond Creek thread caused me to look at my inventory, and I realized I had at least a good many different wines from the 1970s. I think it will make for a great offline and a good chance to taste a lot of these legendary wines at one sitting.

The wines

Gravelly meadow 1974-1978
Red Rock 1973, 1975-1978
Volcanic Hill 1973-1975 and 1977 and 1978

It will be in Westchester at MP Taverna, which is literally at the Irvington train station, so very easy to get to and from Manhattan. I will price it out over the next couple of days, so if interested can you please add your name. John Gilman will join us and be the speaker.

Working on low Wine Searcher, and some recent auction results, I am figuring on around $650 per person plus the food. Unless there is some serious objection, I think I will ask Michael Psilakis to do his five course Iron Cheffy take on whole pig. It was superb last time, but for those who want to opt out, there is an excellent menu. Cost all in was around $120.
Total $770

Mark Golodetz 4
Robert Dentice 2
Andrew Northrup 2
Donn Hein
John Gilman
Ethan Abraham
Scott Jamson
Jordan Whitehead
Mike Chao
Phil Smith.
Mike Reff
Jay and Rebecca Hack
Karl Kazaks 2

Count me in. And can you please add a + one I would like to bring Ketan Mody if he is not in the middle of harvest. He knows more about Diamond Mountain and Diamond Creek than anyone I know.

Thanks Mark [cheers.gif]

Just to clear this will post COVID. Good as Diamond Creek is, it’s certainly not worth putting lives at risk. I suspect we are talking about 2021.

Agreed, No need to rush it

Very interested !

I could be depending on timing of course

Certainly interested

I am gravitating to 14 people and 15 wines, and taking out the two 1979s. Working on low Wine Searcher, and some recent auction results, I am figuring on around $650 per person plus the food. Unless there is some serious objection, I think I will ask Michael Psilakis to do his five course Iron Cheffy take on whole pig. It was superb last time, but for those who want to opt out, there is an excellent menu. Cost all in was around $120.

Sounds great !

Just to be clear, I’m seriously interested and will attend, unless it’s scheduled the same time as an event like my daughter’s wedding (now in early May 2021).

I will probably do one of those internet invite things, so we can maximize the number of people.

If there’s space left, depending on the timing and travel considerations I’m certainly interested. Some of my favorite wines ever made.

1 Like

Count me in Mark… sounds like a great event

Herbert the last pig we had can be seen on post 14

Rebecca and I would join if there is room. I was just outbid on a DC Magnum from the 80s. :frowning:

At the moment there are too many, but I am sure there will be attrition once we have a date. It will be of course based on first who responded.

There’s a 78 Lake on WineBid this week, but given the starting bid, it would certainly raise the cost per individual quite a bit.

It’s over $200 pp. if it was in the $1000 range, I suspect we would bite.

However, if someone feels like buying it for the group, he can look forward to the tasting, and I’ll even throw in a second portion of pig.

Put me down on the wait list for 2!

I’m interested depending on when it would take place. Sounds like a blast!