NYC somewhere on the street?

I have not been in the city since the pandemic. Are restaurants allowing BYOB anywhere at a table outside?

I would not mind popping some corks, who is in?

Next week I think will be easier.

As for alcohol consumption outside, there are no rules right now. It’s pretty amazing.

I have been used to that for a while. neener

Agreed that consuming outside is no issue right now. In the same sense, you are a special kind of asshole if you BYO at a restaurant that serves alcohol. Just get take out. Don’t monopolize one of the few tables they have if you’re not going to buy booze too. These people are hurting. At least get a couple of glasses or cocktails off the list to start.

I don’t know how everyone here handles it, but I BYO so I can have the wine I want, not to save $$$. The corkage around here is $20-30, but I and a lot of others are extended the courtesy of no corkage fee. In that case, we tip at least the $30, if not more. This goes to the server. Now the restaurant does not receive the big bucks for the bottle of wine, but at this point they seem to be very happy to see customers, period. We are pretty much back to normal when it comes to dining here in Napa Valley, except there are fewer tables available, we wear masks until we are seated, and all service folks wear masks all the time.

hard no. not in new york. restaurants are on the precipice. everyone is super stressed. brent is 100% correct - go out, buy as much as you can afford, tip well, repeat. if you want to bring a bottle of champagne to celebrate the staff do that.

I guess there you have the difference between NYC and Napa Valley. Restaurants here are at full capacity on weekends, and doing well during the week.

And there you have the difference in Covid19 positive cases. CA positivity rate is double + that of NY.

George

No, not a good thing to compare Napa Valley with New York City.

NYC was the epicenter of the global pandemic. Largest concentration of Covid19 cases, lots of dead people. Needed to close down economy for a looooong period of time to contain virus (which we are doing with flying colors) and lower deaths, while places like CA and others are mightily struggling today.

NYC is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, restaurant scene in the world. Up to 35% of NYC’s workforce lost their restaurant-based income-support during the close down, with many losing their livelihood and businesses for life. Call it the equivalent to Napa’s wine-producing industry.

While we’re slowly re-opening our economy, deliberately slow and data-based so as not to be like CA, AZ, TX or FL who are nowadays experiencing record infections and are pausing their re-opening plans, we need anything to help out one of our largest industry … the restaurant industry.

Let us see how long that lasts.
A brief, half-done lockdown may be less costly at outset than a long but thorough one, but yield far less infection prevention benefits. The former may simply become a futile entree to the necessary latter.

You may well be correct. No one knows much about this virus, where it is going to go, and when… For now, people are coming from the City and from out of state to our Valley, and I would expect an uptick in positive tests. They are running testing clinics constantly in most of the Valley’s towns.

Hey there!!