NY "Not The La Paulee Dinner" Dinner 3/4/20 - Please give final confirms, must finalize table design.

A dinner during La Paulee that does not cost thousands of dollars just to rub elbows with the wine elite.

Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2020. Start at 6:30 BUT no big deal if you can’t make it until 7 pm, David.

Where: Bobby Van’s, 131 East 54th Street, New York, New York. Private Room back right corner. [NOTE: The 54th street location!].

Theme: GC Burgs or Cult Cali Cabs, your choice.

Attendees and Wine Commitments as of 3/3 at 11:34 am.
The current split is 3 Champagne starters (!! Should outlast the definition of starter, because bubbly is always good), 5 named Calis, 7 named Burgs, a Cali Chard, a bunch of TBDs and one white Burg, plus the maybes, which means the TBDs can go either way without any problems. There is only one white burg committed, so keep that in mind when you choose. If my wife comes, I will add a Cali White Cult.

Me + Rebecca: 2006 Colgin Cariad, 2006 Pol Roger Churchill and 2006 Alban Pandora, just to be different, 2008 Henriot as a backup if we need it.
Scott McDonald: 2014 The Vineyardist (don’t know it, but I think it is a Mark Herrold wine)
Michael Mahle: Cali
Tony Gigante: 1998 Clos de Tart
Thomas Rippe: 07 Gerard Raphet Clos De Vougeot VV
Jonathan Sirot: TBD
Dinesh Goyal: Reconsidered his Realm ToKalon and has now given in to the Dark Side (Burg)
Kevin Hargadon +1: 2004 Jadot Chappelle Chambertin and 2012 Spottswood
Derek Polzien: Cali
Bill Glover: TBD
Shawn Ng: 1995 Louis Latour Batard Montrachet
Dianne Kessler: 2008 Bize Corton Charlemagne
The Lazer/Levys: One of each, unless I bring a Schrader, in which case David promised not to come.
R. Frankel: 2002 Taittinger Comtes and 2005 Bichot/Clos Frantin Chambertin
Kailin: 2001 Lamarche Grands Echezeaux
Julius L.:
Julie C (Hong? [not related to Victor because I have met her and she’s too nice, although I also like Victor] Or maybe it’s Chong?): 2014 Shafer hillside select and a 2016 Aubert Eastside.

Maybe

Brent Clayton: Burg

I’d like to join you. Would bring a burg.

Jay
I would like to join in on the burg side of the table

Definite maybe? Depends on my shift at the time. I won’t know until we get closer to the date. Haven’t done a NYC offline in a long time! For some reason this one intrigues me. I can bring the usual cults (Abreu, Bryant, Colgin etc

I seldom go to Steak Houses, as it’s easy to cook at home and I have a freezer full, but I like the theme so will attend. Love cult cabs and have tried most of the big guns, but would like to be seated at the Burgundy table as I am a rookie and eager to learn more.

People will be divided (if we have two tables instead of just one huge one) based upon the wine that they bring. GC Burgs in one group at one table and cult cabs in another. Sharing between groups is at individual discretion. If you want to sit with the other Burgheads, you have two months to source a good bottle of well-aged Burgundy. I am not exactly a burgundy expert so I can’t say what constitutes well-aged Burgundy, but my review of assorted vintage charts seems to indicate that 2002 or older for GCs might be appropriate. I know that my 2005s and 2006s are still too young.

If anyone brings a bottle of DRC, I do not care what the age is. I would appreciate a tiny taste - an ounce would be fine - because I would like to know what all the fuss is about. I have never had it. Anything made with 200% new oak can’t be all bad.

Jay, definitely in. Will confirm shortly which side of the table.

If I join the Cab side, most likely I will bring Realm To Kalon.

I’m flying up for Paulee this year but still don’t know final schedule. Put me down as definitively interested.

Count me as a maybe, with Burgundy.

A maybe on Burg

Interested. Burg side.

My wife and I would be interested in 2 spots. We have a burgundy but might need to trade or buy a cab as most of ours is too young to drink.

You can do two Burgs if you want. Everyone is free to choose to bring whatever they want. You just have to be comfortable that it is good and you want to share it. Everything else tends to take care of itself.

Hi Jay
I’d be interested. Burg side of course.

What?! You don’t have any more Margits?

I still have a Magrits and a couple of Chuey. They’ve aged well.
Abe was over for Christmas we talked about doing a dinner together around those bottles.

Love the Chuey

We shall bring a 2004 Louis Jadot Chapelle-Chambertin GC and a 2012 Spotswoode Cabernet if that is considered big and cultish enough.

Whatever floats your boat.

My bottle of Chuey did a half gainer with a twist, in the layout position, when it fell out of my wife’s hand and smashed on the floor of the cellar. All I can say is that it smelled delicious.