Burt Williams dinner, SF Peninsula Divino Restaurant, Feb 26

Announcements and planning of Offline events
J e s s e C

Re: See first post for who brings what: Burt Williams dinner, SF Peninsula Divino Restaurant, Feb 26

#101 Post by J e s s e C » February 18th, 2020, 6:51 am

Will bring some 90s ravenswood zin. 92 old hill mag and 94 Old hill. Thought I had a 97 joseph swan but turns out it’s a 2001 and a bit too late. If corkage not an issue I’m happy to bring a few others that I’m less sure about and we can give them a spin (82 Davis Bynum and early 90s Gary Farrell zin come to mind).

I see some folks are bringing sparkling. Is there any interest in a dessert wine to end?
j c h e n g

Larry Stein

Re: See first post for who brings what: Burt Williams dinner, SF Peninsula Divino Restaurant, Feb 26

#102 Post by Larry Stein » February 18th, 2020, 7:10 am

Wes and Mark are bringing beakers so I won't be.

AndyK

#103 Post by AndyK » February 18th, 2020, 7:53 am

Wow, that's 30+ bottles for 16 people.

I see that 08 Dom is already called for, so I could do a 2013 Ultramarine (I know, George is not a big fan), 06 Schramsberg J Schram, or 06 Taittinger CdC. But I fear that another 750ml bottle will (literally) just be a drop in the bucket. I'd also be happy to contribute a good amount to pay for the dinner of our generous hosts and people that bring wines I don't have (older CA Pinots)...
k0berl

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by George Chadwick » February 18th, 2020, 12:15 pm

J e s s e C wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 6:51 am
Will bring some 90s ravenswood zin. 92 old hill mag and 94 Old hill. Thought I had a 97 joseph swan but turns out it’s a 2001 and a bit too late. If corkage not an issue I’m happy to bring a few others that I’m less sure about and we can give them a spin (82 Davis Bynum and early 90s Gary Farrell zin come to mind).

I see some folks are bringing sparkling. Is there any interest in a dessert wine to end?
Just bring one of the Old Hills. A worthy piece of history. Selfishly I have had several 94 and 95 old hills recently so the 92 would be great.

I thought about dessert wine and I ask not, not on a weeknight and people driving right after the dinner. It's last minute alcohol so whatever one's BA is getting into the car, it then rises as they drive. If there were a couple of hours between the dinner and the driving, sure.

Thanks Jesse!

Everyone:

Speaking of which, please drink water an hour before the wines (assume you're dehydrated), during (don't wash food down with wine) and after the dinner.

Bring cash except for Katie, Blake, and Roelanda, and Margi if she is able to attend.

How are the stems at Divino?
Last edited by George Chadwick on February 18th, 2020, 1:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by George Chadwick » February 18th, 2020, 12:21 pm

AndyK wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 7:53 am
Wow, that's 30+ bottles for 16 people.

I see that 08 Dom is already called for, so I could do a 2013 Ultramarine (I know, George is not a big fan), 06 Schramsberg J Schram, or 06 Taittinger CdC. But I fear that another 750ml bottle will (literally) just be a drop in the bucket. I'd also be happy to contribute a good amount to pay for the dinner of our generous hosts and people that bring wines I don't have (older CA Pinots)...
Blake, Roelanda, and Katie are our (1) generous (2) honored guests (3) from way out of town, so I'd ask you chip in for that. 08 Dom and a magnum of 09 Cristal are hard to compete with.

As for the number of wines, Blake and I coincidentally agree on the same four wines I was thinking of withdrawing. So I will.

Still don't know what two of the attendees are bringing.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by George Chadwick » February 18th, 2020, 12:33 pm

J e s s e C wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 6:51 am

I believe corkage is free because we are such a large group. I'd rather not spend $250 just to open my wines. I'll confirm.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by George Chadwick » February 18th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Bring cash everyone, and we are all hosting our three guests, Blake, Roelanda, and Katie (Margi unlikely).

Do we all bring stems?

Larry Stein

#108 Post by Larry Stein » February 18th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Yes, bring stems, for sure!

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by George Chadwick » February 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Larry Stein wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Yes, bring stems, for sure!
Thanks. Everyone, bring three for each flight and two (or more?) to taste non-WS wines. The table is big enough for five glasses per person.

And cash for yourself and your share of the honored guests!

ERPark

#110 Post by ERPark » February 18th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Been out of town, so apologies for the tardiness. I’ll have a ‘97 Dehlinger RRV in hand, with some champers as a backup.
GEN3

Mark Sutherland

#111 Post by Mark Sutherland » February 18th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Yes, totally agree that we should all bring stems!
George - Thanks for checking on the corkage situation.
Are we all just ordering off the menu? Or is there a reduced group menu? Or a prix-fixe for our group?
We are taking Uber / Lyft both ways!

J e s s e C

#112 Post by J e s s e C » February 18th, 2020, 9:45 pm

George Chadwick wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Just bring one of the Old Hills. A worthy piece of history. Selfishly I have had several 94 and 95 old hills recently so the 92 would be great.

I thought about dessert wine and I ask not, not on a weeknight and people driving right after the dinner. It's last minute alcohol so whatever one's BA is getting into the car, it then rises as they drive. If there were a couple of hours between the dinner and the driving, sure.

Thanks Jesse!
Sounds like a plan! See everyone soon.
j c h e n g

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by George Chadwick » February 18th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Mark Sutherland wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:41 pm
Yes, totally agree that we should all bring stems!
George - Thanks for checking on the corkage situation.
Are we all just ordering off the menu? Or is there a reduced group menu? Or a prix-fixe for our group?
We are taking Uber / Lyft both ways!
I'm not driving either.

We will decide about ordering when we get there. A couple of the guys are Divino experts.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Burt Williams dinner, SF Peninsula Divino Restaurant, Feb 26

#114 Post by George Chadwick » February 19th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Margi Williams is coming! See first post for update

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by George Chadwick » February 20th, 2020, 7:55 am

I'm adding the 1997 Rochioli, which I was going to hold onto for five more years. With both of Burt's daughters attending, there could not possibly be some other, better time than next week.
Last edited by George Chadwick on February 20th, 2020, 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Blake Brown » February 20th, 2020, 10:25 am

George Chadwick wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 7:55 am
I'm adding the 1997 Rochioli, which I was going to hold onto for five more years. With both of Burt's daughters attending, there could not possibly be a better time to save it for.
That's a fantastic wine and another generous offer on your part George. We will be drinking extremely well.

For any that are bringing Burt made WS wines, please know that he filled all bottles to the cork with only a few exceptions, so if you have a wine that is below the neck, it would be a good time to open it. Should you have 2 or more bottles of the same wine, it would be good to select the lowest fill.

I'll have the details of Margi`s brings by Saturday.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by George Chadwick » February 21st, 2020, 7:09 pm

The wines are finalized, see original post.
Everyone:
Bring five glasses and cash per person.
Drink water before during after.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Craig G » February 21st, 2020, 7:13 pm

George, nice job on this. Enjoy yourselves, all!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by George Chadwick » February 21st, 2020, 7:31 pm

Craig G wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 7:13 pm
Blake made it special.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by Blake Brown » February 23rd, 2020, 11:21 am

George Chadwick wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 7:31 pm
Craig G wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 7:13 pm
Blake made it special.
I deeply appreciate your comment George, but this whole thing does not happen without your initiating it and generous contributions as well as all of the due diligence, time and energy expended on your part to coordinate it. I'm sure everyone truly knows and is grateful for what you have created and all of us who are fortunate to attend shall cherish this special occasion for a long time.

Here's to you George and Burt in memoriam.

[cheers.gif]
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Blake Brown » February 23rd, 2020, 11:26 am

And additionally, I so look forward to meeting all of you and in most cases putting a face with a name. It's a special treat to share such a fine and celebrative evening with you all.

grouphug
Napolean Bonaparte

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by George Chadwick » February 25th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Confirmed just now with Divino. Tomorrow night 6:30 PM. It will be family style according to Carlos, if family style doesn't work I'm guessing we can adjust.

Mark Sutherland

#123 Post by Mark Sutherland » February 25th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Wine and beakers and cash all pulled today.

Also bringing my Durand. With all of these old bottles, we could probably use a couple of Durands.

Did Divino clarify the situation with corkage?

Thanks, Mark

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Blake Brown » February 25th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Mark Sutherland wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Also bringing my Durand. With all of these old bottles, we could probably use a couple of Durands.

Thanks, Mark
Durand in hand also
Napolean Bonaparte

Mark Sutherland

#125 Post by Mark Sutherland » February 25th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 5:32 pm
Mark Sutherland wrote:

Thanks, Mark
Durand in hand also
Wonderful! Looking forward to seeing / meeting everyone tomorrow!

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by George Chadwick » February 25th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Mark Sutherland wrote:

Thanks, Mark
Yes, confirmed no corkage or I'd be out $300 LOL

Mark Sutherland

#127 Post by Mark Sutherland » February 27th, 2020, 12:04 am

So much thanks to George for herding the cats and pulling together an amazing dinner. And to Blake and Katie for their very generous contributions. And to the rest of the gang for bringing some wonderful juice to share in a very special setting! It will be hard to top this one!

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by Blake Brown » February 27th, 2020, 8:04 am

Mark Sutherland wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 12:04 am
So much thanks to George for herding the cats and pulling together an amazing dinner. And to Blake and Katie for their very generous contributions. And to the rest of the gang for bringing some wonderful juice to share in a very special setting! It will be hard to top this one!
+1 for me and another +1 from Roelanda/ it was so special to meet all of you and share an extra special time together.
Napolean Bonaparte

Larry Stein

#129 Post by Larry Stein » February 27th, 2020, 8:13 am

Piling on...

It was a grand evening and event. Thanks everyone for your contributions and camaraderie and especially to George and Blake for putting this together.

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by George Chadwick » February 27th, 2020, 9:44 am

It was a great evening of Sharing.

I finally paid the price in the Rochioli flight for buying older wines with unknown provenance over the years. But there were more than enough wines in great shape, including all of the wines Blake and Roelanda and Katie brought, to make for a great Williams Family wine experience.

Damaged wines I brought::

97 Sonoma Coast (something was off, I forget what)
96 Allen (a little bit heat damaged)
93 Rochioli (maderized and the soaked cork fell into the bottle at the slightest touch upon opening, but the wine underneath clearly would have been terrific, it did that Burgundy thing of becoming much darker and richer and younger)
95 Rochioli (fifth straight bottle of this wine with this characteristic) mercaptans? reduction?
97 Rochioli (corked)(this hurt)

But then there were the spectacular Williams wines.
The elegant Seven Lions pinot and zin by Fred, the Brogan Summa 2002 (I loved this, the big discovery of the evening for me) by Margi, the sexy rich complex 1994 Allen, the classic and perfect 1995 Allen, the beautiful 1994 Rochioli, the astonishing and unique 1995 Hirsch, the magnum of the Ultimate Unicorn Wine the 1995 Summa (ageless), the piece of history 1986 Sonoma County, the 1997 Allen Chardonnay which had the typical Williams mouthfeel but in white wine form, the 05 and 06 Brogan Morning Dew Ranch (Burt's vineyard after leaving WS), and the best bottle of Burt's Martinelli Zin I've had in recent years (Blake takes good care of his wines)...
and the non-Williams wines, the 2006 Cristal from magnum (I refuse to say en magnum -- French Latin?), the 2008 Dom, the 1992 Old Hill magnum which was deeper and darker than any other older Old Hill I've had, and on and on...
Thank you my friends
Thank you our new friends Blake, Roelanda, and Katie for the wines, the company, the photos, the insights, and the stories!
Wine of the night : the Burt stories.
Last edited by George Chadwick on February 27th, 2020, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Alan Rath » February 27th, 2020, 11:40 am

An evening right up there with the best we've had! A great pleasure to meet and share with our three guests. The two champagnes were fabulous. I called the 95 Summa WOTN early on :) Beautiful wine, one of the best California Pinots I can remember. Many other really nice wines: of the Allens, my fave was the 95. The other really nice surprise were the Brogan wines, particularly the 2005 "My Father's Vineyard", all kinds of great flavors and complexities, and years to go on that wine. Thanks again, everyone! And particularly George and Blake for putting it together [cheers.gif]
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by George Chadwick » February 27th, 2020, 11:47 am

Alan Rath wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 11:40 am
An evening right up there with the best we've had! A great pleasure to meet and share with our three guests. The two champagnes were fabulous. I called the 95 Summa WOTN early on :) Beautiful wine, one of the best California Pinots I can remember. Many other really nice wines: of the Allens, my fave was the 95. The other really nice surprise were the Brogan wines, particularly the 2005 "My Father's Vineyard", all kinds of great flavors and complexities, and years to go on that wine. Thanks again, everyone! And particularly George and Blake for putting it together [cheers.gif]
I notice that the three wines you mention are the three that I felt had classic and perfect structure and a few years before any decline. Very high quality. The 95 Allen was close to a 100 pointer for me in that regard. The 95 Summa will improve for ten years in magnum, depending on the high acidity. The ones to buy if available. Darn that very corked 97 Rochioli and slightly heat damaged 96 Allen.

My favorites showed more maturity*, no upside left but showing all they had, very high pleasure, no point in saving them. 94 Allen, 94 Rochioli, 02 Summa, 95 Hirsch, 92 Old Hill, 92 RRV Martinelli zin. The ones to drink now, soft but complex. Darn that maderized 93 Rochioli, it showed the vestiges of rich greatness.
The 97 Allen chard and 86 Sonoma County pinot were a little past peak but exciting to drink, still full and broad, historic and rare.

(*Maturity on the wines' part that is.)

J e s s e C

#133 Post by J e s s e C » February 27th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Yes - a special night indeed! The best part about wine is hearing the stories behind them - whether about the winemakers or winemaking, or one's personal experiences drinking it - and this evening had that in spades. Thank you to George and Blake for organizing, to Blake, Roelanda and Katie for coming out of their way to join us on this adventure, and to everyone for their generous contributions. There were too many great wines to list them all, but the 95 Hirsch and 95 Summa were among the highlights. Probably the best Selyem wines I have had and a real treat.
j c h e n g

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Blake Brown » February 27th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Just arrived back in Santa Barbara. It was an easy 5+ hour drive with both of us having a perpetual smile on our faces with fond memories of last night.

Number one priority now is re- hydrating. I admire some of you who have evidently mastered the ability to spit and still get all of the nuances in each wine, in this case, 25.

As is my MO, I'll put together some notes along with photos and post them in a few days. Meanwhile, if any of you took pics of the table and folks in attendance, please share them. I've got most, if not all of the wines captured.

For me, the mag of 95` WS Summa was the WOTN and it had some good competition. As I shared, the last time I had it was 10 years ago with Burt and last nights bottle was amazingly almost identical to that one.

My personal gaffe was in pulling the Cristal which according to my CT inventory, was the 09` mag lying on the floor in the cellar along with others, all wrapped in yellow cellophane. So, I did not question the vintage even after removing the cellophane and passing it around claiming it was the 09` until it was pointed out to be in fact, the 06`. Obviously, no problem; it was drinking beautifully.

Again, it was a special treat to meet all of the fine folks who attended and shared in the fellowship during this revered occasion orchestrated by George. Burt would have been proud and felt righteously honored.

Cheers,
Blake
Napolean Bonaparte

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Blake Brown » March 1st, 2020, 12:15 pm

Hey gang. I just posted notes/ photos on Wine Talk. Please feel free to add your own TNs, photos, comments.
Love and all the best to you all.
Napolean Bonaparte

Return to “Offline Planner”