Chicago-Pizza and Riesling (and Piedmont)-November 19th (Coalfire)

Some of us mentioned at last nights offline about a Pizza and Riesling tasting on Tuesday November 19th since Clifton would be back in town. Coalfire pizza on Grand avenue has agreed to waive corkage and host us if anyone is interested. (They are closed on Monday the 18th). Not a fancy place or a giant menu but I think they have some of the very best pizza in the city and IMO anywhere. The owner chef is super creative and has outstanding producers for his ingredients. We can order al a carte off the menu or if we wanted to I think he would curate a dinner for us. (nothing crazy just tons of different pizzas and some apps most likely, but good stuff I am sure). Anyone interested ?

Looks like we have enough people.
Edit for Guest List and wines :

Adam C -2004 Aldo Conterno Barolo Colonello
Clifton D -2004 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese and bubbles
Patrick R -2014 Schafer-Frohlich Monzinger Halenberg GG and a 2018 Weiser-Kunstler Trabener Gaispfad Kabinett Trocken
Bob B -
Ryan Smith-70’s Piedmont
John and Patrice P- JJ Prum, Donnhoff and Fritz Haag. All Spatlese from 2001…
Clayton W- 2002 Nigl Riesling Privat, 2008 Wyncroft Riesling “VT” Wren Song Vineyard
Bobby B - 1995 Anheuser Schlossbockelheimer Koningsfels Kabinett and some champagne
Mike Z-2001 Spatlese and pulled the Prum Wehlener or possibly ‘96 and or ‘98 Cascina Francia

FYI-Good stems are needed, please bring your own if you can. Look forward to seeing you all.

Sounds great! TBD on what to bring. Looking forward to it. [thankyou.gif]

What kind of Riesling goes with with pizza? I’ve never had this pairing.

Good question, some others who know Riesling better then me had the idea. Should be interesting.

I have this pairing a lot and absolutely love it! I have had anything from bone dry to Spatlese. I tend to be drawn more to a Feinherb or Kabinett level as the best pairings, but love the idea of a side by side tasting to see which types pair the best. I think the interplay between acidity and sweetness of Riesling is a great foil for the combination of a tomato based pizza sauce and all of the fatty/salty(and spicy) toppings that make pizza so darn good. But to be fair, I am also a believer that there is pretty much no bad time for Riesling or pizza for that matter…

I’m excited to go but don’t have much in the way of Riesling in the cellar unfortunately. If you were open to also including Piedmont though, I have much to offer!

This is about the 5th thing I could do that night :frowning:

Ryan I think we are open, at least I am. Good Piedmont is always welcome wherever I’m at.

Thanks Adam! I’ll be bringing a TBD 1970’s Piedmont. How does 6 PM work for everyone?

6 pm is fine w me I am flexible. Piedmont and Riesling sounds good.

If there is room for 2 more we can bring German Riesling from the 2001 vintage…just let us know. Thanks!

Yes John definitely room for you both, look forward to meeting you.

Next time for sure Paul.

Thanks Adam we are looking forward to meeting everyone! We will bring JJ Prum, Donnhoff and Fritz Haag. All Spatlese from 2001…

Cheers,
John and Patrice Preston

Sounds like this is coming together nicely! I am in!
Still trying to decide on wines. I’d like to see what others are bringing to see if there is a style that needs representation. But thinking about a Schafer-Frohlich GG and also something sweeter. Will decide and post.

Love the idea of Riesling and Pizza… for some reason it sounds like a perfect combination, and Coalfire is a winner.

If there’s space, and me to the list.

Since i see mostly German on the list, I might mix it up with a couple of exotic (and probably quite blowsy) rieslings:
2002 Nigl Riesling Privat
2008 Wyncroft Riesling “VT” Wren Song Vineyard

I’m in as well. I’ll bring a 1995 Anheuser Schlossbockelheimer Koningsfels Kabinett and some champagne to start.

Awesome, excited to add Clayton and Bobby to the list. Welcome guys.

I spoke with the owner he is going to look at putting together a menu for us. Is everyone good with @$50 per person for dinner all in ? That should include tax and tip. We could also just order off the menu but figured this might be a nice option to have him curate it, try to pair a few things and then we can just drink our nice wine and eat what they bring.

We will need to bring stems, I can cover 2 for Clifton. Anyone else need them ?

Hello Adam and thanks again for planning this. We are “good” with $50 each all in…makes it much easier. We will bring our own stems.

Cheers,
JP